Why is this light not more popular?

chef4850

Enlightened
I have had the nitecore extreme r2 light for a few months and I do not understand why this light does not get as much "play" as others. I know it is not a "newer" light but it is the best light I have ever had. I EDC it every day because of it's size as well as the build, usability,etc. This is only my opinion on the light but compared to all the other lights I own this is the best IMO. So....... why is it not "more popular" with all of you. Something I don't know about this light? I appriciate all of you and your input you have kept me reasonalbly poor. Thanks Chef :wave:

Marduke

Flashaholic
It was a very popular light when it was released, coming up on 2 years ago.

Now there are just more choices that compete with it.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a very popular light when it was released, coming up on 2 years ago.

Now there are just more choices that compete with it.
If we have a look at here:
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/selfbuilt/SR3-RCRMax.gif

The Nitecore Extreme is still class leading. Arguable STILL the best.

Don't know about others, but IMO, the SR3 isn't worth $120, if $120 with 18650 body, we're starting to talk, but its still pushing it. Does anyone notice the limited edition (100 only) SR3 18650 body is still there after like almost a month? This tells us something about how popular the SR3 is.

Last edited:

Krotchitty

Newly Enlightened
I think its the UI. (Needs 2 hands)

But I dunno... it surely is a looker and Bright, with good runtime too.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of us really like the NEX for its thread compatibility with Surefire E-series bodies. I don't care for the NEX body (especially the switch), but the head is a great addition to the Surefire Lego pile.

Edit: see here for some examples.

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly just before I went to purchase this light I found out it would not lock out. Since I rarely use a clip the no lockout feature on a pocket size light was inexcuseable to me. I own a Nitecore Defender Infinity and love it though.

Bill

ThesaurZA

Newly Enlightened
The reason I never considered this light was the looks. I prefer the 'no frills' and simple look of the D10/EX10. No crenelated bezels or fins for me...just good old knurling.

pobox1475

Enlightened
No crenelated bezels or fins for me...just good old knurling.
NEX_2.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

fareast

Enlightened
I don't know but in any case, I like 'em. A lot. But after getting several of them, I have ventured into some other lights :). The NEX is still my main EDC though and I do not foresee anything replacing it any time soon. Well, except for a warmer version... :shakehead

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I don't like a lot of these aftermarket heads. The cold tint is not for me.

I'll take a warm Malkoff or a 5A tinted P60 from DX instead.

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
Most people that I introduce to flashlights, I usually point them in Nitecore and 4Sevens direction. When they ask me which light to get, I usually recommend the NEX. Very small, good UI, and decent output.
This is actually one of my favorite room clearing lights; the spill beam is very good, and the center beam is not so bright that I blind myself if I shine it at a blank wall or a mirror. Easy to manipulate in most combat grips also.
A+ for this light, see me after class Nitecore.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was using the Extreme out in the field (law enforcement) and firearms training every night until the inevitable happened and I lost it. It really was a great little light and replaced my Novatac 120T which still hangs around the house.

I now use a Quark 123 tactical which is a bit smaller and smoother.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
THe main reason i got rid of mine was because of the Blue-ish tint.that seems to be the deal breaker for me on all lights these days
. If it had a warmer tint, im sure i would still be using it now, given that the Defender infinity was me EDC for quite awhile

Crenshaw

corvettesR1

Enlightened
Looks pretty darn nice to me. I just happened to get a Nitecore defender ahead of it.I may buy an NEX in the future because I do like lightsthat have clips .

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I've gotten every model of this light, and I still carry it almost every day I wear jeans.

I have the Q5, the GDP (sent it away to be seouled), the Neutral model from Japan, and the R2. My R2 came with a horrible tint, I put a R2 WH in there. I can live with it now. GDP came with a bad tint, too, but I neutral GDP'd it and the emitter is dying..

My neutral one gets the most carry. I'm antsy about how good the high cri seoul is going to work in this light! :popcorn:

TECENG

Newly Enlightened
I love mine! I bought it as soon as they were released and use it quite often. I also think it looks bad a$$ for a nice small light.