High quality edc light suggestions?

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I'm in the mood for a new high quality edc light and right now
an RA Clicky is at the top of the list. I have a Novatac and love it
though it could be brighter even though it already has a K2 TFFC
in it. I've thought about an LX2 also or modding an L1. I love the
look of the Arc6, but it's too much. A Ti Quark still might not have
a good enough "feel" to it plus I already have an Quark AA Tactical.

Wants:
Must have a quality look and feel (prefer Surefire level)
Must be able to use RCR123's
Multiple levels, prefer programmable
Brighter than a Novatac and decent throw
Prefer 1x123 size, 2x123 max and a clickie switch
Around $150 price range new or used

I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions I may not have thought of.

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the Ra is your way to go.

If you were looking for lower (than Ra, Surefire) quality at a cheaper price point, I would say take a look at the Quark line. Seem to be very well made, as good or better than Fenix.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
honestly i would put the quark123 very high on your list, but go with the regular version and a clip, mine is always on my pocket next to my knife, tailstands, and has a great UI, the quality seems excellent for the 2 months or so i have carried it, the finish on the clip is wearing, but honestly it makes it look even more rugged

I have dropped it dozens of times, the first of which i flinched, but now i know it will be just fine, honestly when i made my decision i based it on size (the quark is 10+mm shorter) and the looks, i didn't like the nearly full knurling of the RA and the bezel looked strange...again only my 2 cents and i hope no RA people crucify as i am confident it is an amazing light, but quark was better suited for me finally, there is price, you can get 3 quark123s for the same price of an equivalent lumen RA Clicky...just food for thought

edit: i don't know what the manufacturer recommends but i just threw an RCR123 (full charge 4.2V) in my quark and the UI continued to work fine and there was no excessive heat.

Last edited:

LED Cool

Enlightened
LiteFlux LF3XT with similar functionality as the Novatac plus more.
dual user interface (UI).
compact UI & full function UI.
fully programmable in every aspect.
similar clicky as Novatac.
battery voltage meter and NIMH & Li-Ion over discharge protection
optional 2AA battery body with clip.

check out selfbuilt review in the CPF review section.

khoo

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
LiteFlux LF3XT with similar functionality as the Novatac plus more.
dual user interface (UI).
compact UI & full function UI.
fully programmable in every aspect.
similar clicky as Novatac.
battery voltage meter and NIMH & Li-Ion over discharge protection
optional 2AA battery body with clip.

check out selfbuilt review in the CPF review section.

khoo

What khoo said. There's more than a few that have commented they like the LF3XT better than their Novatacs.

Geoff

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Quark, I already have one and it's the performance benchmark for me but it's lacking the physical quality feel. and you can use an RCR123 and in mine, a 14500.

The Inforce is interesting, though a bit large. I was thinking LX2 size as the max.

The Liteflux I've researched before and it sounded interesting.
It may not have the brightness I want though. It's a possible.

Athough price is definitely important, I'm willing to pay for the feel of quallty that a Surefire or Novatac has. One of my ideal lights would be some variety of McGizmo. I sure don't have enough for that.
I'm still leaning towards the Clicky. Just checking to see if theirs something I've overlooked.

Thanks!

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
if you already have a quark the rule of CPF is to diversify, you then MUST buy the RA clicky and inform the rest of us how they stack up, this is an obligation to the rest of the community (o c'mon you already made that decision, you were just looking for affirmation) :grin2:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO the RA is just the best out there, the beam is perfect and the UI is simply so versatile, a very rugged, dependable package!!

pobox1475

Enlightened
Another vote for Quark. I got a standard clipless warm 123 for belt carry and then added a warm tactical 123x2 for coat pocket/bag carry. Too bad most of the standard warms are sold out. Would like to try a Ra but they are a little cost prohibitive for me :broke:...

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix PD30+ when it comes out very very soon.. Looks like more of a surefire look and quality with more lumens.

chef4850

Enlightened
I would deffinately take a look at the Ra. I purchased the executive clicky and it is a great light super tough. Second would be the nitecore extreme. Extreme a little less $ - more versatile light IMO. Infanite setting, nice low, great throw (for a single 123 bat. size light), just a great quality light at a decient price. :wave:

Chef

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I'm probably going to get a used RA Clicky and put in a K2 TFFC or maybe even an XP-G R5. The other possibility could be doing the same to an HDS EDC.

Krotchitty

Newly Enlightened
I'm probably going to get a used RA Clicky and put in a K2 TFFC or maybe even an XP-G R5. The other possibility could be doing the same to an HDS EDC.

Blasphemy!... :sssh:

The LF3xt has the best beam I've seen (haven't seen a Ra) but the clicky is spongy and IMHO the only bad element in a very nice edc light.

If you can live with the switch, you'll love the UI and the beam.

If only I could put a Novatac clicky on the LF3xt...

Gatsby

Enlightened
Interesting parameters - I've been looking for much the same thing and have finally settled upon ... wait for it ....

a rotation of

Novatac 120P and Liteflux LF3XT! :wave:

There is a bit of a gap in the market between the Quarks and the custom lights which all seem to be in titanium these days (thus doubling their price)... I think the best thing I've seen that brings something to the table that neither the 120P or LF3XT does is the Arc6- not only the least expensive McGizmo body light but it is programmable and a good bit smaller than the PDs and the Novatac/LF3 which is nice...

But the Arc6 is still out of my price range as well...

bansuri

Enlightened
Blasphemy!... :sssh:

The LF3xt has the best beam I've seen (haven't seen a Ra) but the clicky is spongy and IMHO the only bad element in a very nice edc light.

If you can live with the switch, you'll love the UI and the beam.

If only I could put a Novatac clicky on the LF3xt...

I wish I could put the beam and UI of the LF3XT in to every light I own!
Absolutely beautiful.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend you go for the Ra Clicky - I had EDCed a Tactical 140 for 6 months and it was just the bees knees.

It was responsible for me selling off half my Surefires - it is really that good.

Just upgraded to the Ra Clicky Tactical 170 for EDC and am in love all over again. I still keep a Tactical 140 in my EDC bag with a Surefire LX2.

I dont own a Liteflux so cannot comment on those.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I recommend you go for the Ra Clicky - I had EDCed a Tactical 140 for 6 months and it was just the bees knees.

It was responsible for me selling off half my Surefires - it is really that good.

Just upgraded to the Ra Clicky Tactical 170 for EDC and am in love all over again. I still keep a Tactical 140 in my EDC bag with a Surefire LX2.

I dont own a Liteflux so cannot comment on those.

How do the 140, 170 and LX2 compare to each other for brightness and throw?

I agree there is a gap in the market at this price point. And as far as I'm concerned, Surefire doesn't have anything I'm that interested in at this point.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do the 140, 170 and LX2 compare to each other for brightness and throw?

I agree there is a gap in the market at this price point. And as far as I'm concerned, Surefire doesn't have anything I'm that interested in at this point.

The beams of the LX2 and Ra Clicky are so different they cannot be compared.

The LX2 is a friggin laser beam of a thrower - the TIR optic just shoots every last lumen out the front and its amazing - it is like having a mini HID spotlight in your hand. The Clickies cannot touch the throw of the LX2 - but thats optic vs. reflector for you.

With that said, I like the Ra Clicky Tactical for EDC because it still does throw a good distance, but, the reflector provides for good spill - its a nice mix.

Owning both an LX2 and Ra Clicky is just a killer combo that sets you up perfectly for the end of the world or zombie invasion.

If $ is tight, go for the 140 as the increase in brightness in the 170 is not worth the $ in my opinion - its noticeable but, not for $40. I sold one of my other Clicky Tac 140s and put the $ towards a 170 so it was easier to swallow.

$150 for the Tac 140 is a steel in my mind.

I have always gone for the Tac over the Exec model because it is easy to turn the tac into a flood with a surefire F04 - you cannot turn the flood of the exec into a thrower, however ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts