Can a NiMh cell leak if exposed to water?.

MarioJP

Enlightened
Want to say that I noticed something strange on a AAA cell. I have a electric Gillette razor that uses 1AAA. The AAA cell is Rayovac Hybrid. Cell last a very long time in my razor. Today When I open the cover to get the battery out so I can recharge. I noticed that it leaked (looks like black chemical spill) I can't tell if this is water rust or the battery did in fact leaked. It smells like rusted metal too. Yes this razor was exposed to water a lot. Occasionally it would fall in the sink and sometimes fall underwater.

I am wondering if this cell is good or not i do not want to risk this battery in my charger now :(

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
the containment can rust, even reduce the sealing at the releace valve area, causing it to not be as well sealed. moisture in that small enclosed seal area can hang out much longer , and cause more corrosion and oxidation stuff.
any discharges from overcharge, or sneaking past the seal, could accelerate corrosion when moisture is continually exposed.
the black could certannly be an indication that offset PH substances exist, be they from the last battery or this one, as they hang out if you dont clean them out thouroughly.

what are you electric shaving over the terlit for :sick2:

heck if you got it open and you already have corrosion, and i assue you got some use out of it, there isnt anything else that any person (capable of it) would do, they would replace the cell, clean any visable contaminents out of the battery area, dry the unit out, and try to keep moisture out of it more. it will still work, and for a long time, but nobody is going to mess with that.

Last edited:

MarioJP

Enlightened
the rust is not easy to remove, looks like I might end up replacing the razor altogether. It still works but it is having poor electrical contact.

So the cell is no longer good? Its just this cell that was mainly used for this razor. There are some dark stuff on the positive terminal it has dried and can't be cleaned that easily.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
the rust is not easy to remove, looks like I might end up replacing the razor altogether. It still works but it is having poor electrical contact.

So the cell is no longer good? Its just this cell that was mainly used for this razor. There are some dark stuff on the positive terminal it has dried and can't be cleaned that easily.

stuff the cell, it should be ok, but why waste your time and effort to piddle with it when it shows contaminants and moisture exposure.
i assume the razor costs more than the cell , get it back up to par , by insuring that there is no longer any PH offsets in there, then sand the terminals, and recoat them with some light spray silicoln, or some proOX stuff or whatever.
after cleaning the terminals, a very light coating of spray silicoln (the lite solventey kind) will keep them from reoxidising and even reduce any effects of continuing corrosion, and it doesnt efffect the connection negativly even if it doesnt have conductive electrical properties.