What did I just see?!!

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just driving home in the dark. As I got to my driveway I had a clear view of the hills in the distance, maybe 2 miles away from me and 1000' higher than my elevation. For about a second I saw an amazingly bright blue flash that must have been hundreds of feet across, and shaped sort of like a flashlight beam pointing up. Almost like watching lightening strike, except WAY bigger! (and it's not stormy) It's hard to say because of the distance, but it's almost like shining my X990 straight up but about 100 times more light!

I didn't hear any noise and I still see smaller lights scattered across the hillside, meaning the power didn't go out, so I don't think it was any kind of electrical failure. WTF did I just see? It's kind of hard to explain but it's one of the weirdest things I've ever witnessed...

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: WTF did I just see?!!

and harness into a tube... and you know the rest.

Vesper

Enlightened

Hide your cows.

cattle-ufo.jpg

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could you draw a picture and post it here?
Honestly it looked much like the pic above, without the obvious UFO of course. ;) Except the beam was sort of triangular shaped, like when you shine a flashlight up on a foggy night. And it was BRIGHT! My first thought was firework...but it was just too big for that. I was expecting to hear a big boom, but I didn't....

I've seen electrical transformers blow up with a bluish flash before, but this was like 100 times bigger! And no sound that I could hear...:tinfoil:

Vinniec5

Enlightened

Is there an Electrical Substation up there? Maybe you saw a switch open or close

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there an airport nearby? The local airport uses a very bright spotlight that can be seen for miles on a clear night. It looks a quite a bit like you described.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe Data is working on his replacement for the DataBank70. Do you live in Pennsylvania?
Good point - we need a map of "If you see weird lights, it's this CPF member" :p
Could it have been a headlight coming over a hill? I know it's silly, but I've had a less-dramatic effect from that.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably some "Swamp gas from a weather balloon was
trapped In a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus."

-Kawika

(most likely Data's newest creation)

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know what buildings, equipment, utilities, etc. which are located in that area? Any engineering labs or hobbyists with their own HV transformers? That's pretty darned large for a "normal" electrical discharge. You've got me curious.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast