Looking for a green or red 1aa or 1aaa battery vampire.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just last night I realized just how much I miss using a pure red light, but being that my light uses AAAA cells, I don't like having to rip open 9 volt batteries and rigging the cells to my Stylus. I'd rather use one of the many cells I have around with good enough power still in them and red LED's, having a low VF make a perfect choice for battery vampires. Problem is finding a single AA or AAA light with a red 5mm LED. There is however the Inova X1 with a green LED and from what I understand is that lumen to lumen, green is more visible/usable than white light if you don't need to see in full color. Being that this light will be a vampire, I'm thinking that no matter the light's color, be it white or green, it won't affect my night vision too horribly. I'm aware that green isn't intended to be like red light and retain night vision at full power 5mm LED levels.

Then there's the Peak Eiger. I can call Peak and have them make me one, in either green or red at my choice of output level. These use Rebels and one of the disadvantages (I think) is the colored Rebels don't have the low VF of their 5mm counterparts, so I don't know if this would put them at a disadvantage against a 5mm powered vampire light.

What do you guys think? I don't want this to turn into a why use red light when you could use a dim white light argument. Trust me I've used dim white light and I GREATLY prefer using a red light. I am however unsure about using green light, so your guy's input is greatly appreciated.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The gerber Infinity ultra comes to mind right away. IIRC the Issue version comes in green or red, I am not sure about the civilian version though.

I am surprised Fenix does not make the E01 in red.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The gerber Infinity ultra comes to mind right away. IIRC the Issue version comes in green or red, I am not sure about the civilian version though.

I am surprised Fenix does not make the E01 in red.

They used to make the original Ultra with a red LED, but those are sold out just about everywhere. Don't think they made them with a green LED.

Man do I ever wish Fenix made the E01 in red, that would be PERFECT.

I also must mention my modding skills. Totally nonexistant.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not exactly sure what is available from PEAK presently but if you can still get the Matterhorn(AAA) or the Kilimanjaro(AA) they should suite your needs.They were both available in red and green as well as several other colors.PEAK is in the process of moving thier retail sales through a single dealer(RMSK inc.) and I am not exactly sure what products are still available.There is some info in the PEAK sub-forum but you may be able to call and find out.
Before Gerber bought them out CMG made the Infinity with a green LED.I like CMG's orignal design much better than Gerbers current Infinity model.Wish I had bought more when they were still available. :sigh:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a CMG infinity with a green LED in it I don't use at all if you are interested give me a PM.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
The Gerber Infinity Ultra can run on both AA and AAA even though they do not advertise that it will.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Just last night I realized just how much I miss using a pure red light, but being that my light uses AAAA cells, I don't like having to rip open 9 volt batteries and rigging the cells to my Stylus. I'd rather use one of the many cells I have around with good enough power still in them and red LED's, having a low VF make a perfect choice for battery vampires. Problem is finding a single AA or AAA light with a red 5mm LED. There is however the Inova X1 with a green LED and from what I understand is that lumen to lumen, green is more visible/usable than white light if you don't need to see in full color. Being that this light will be a vampire, I'm thinking that no matter the light's color, be it white or green, it won't affect my night vision too horribly. I'm aware that green isn't intended to be like red light and retain night vision at full power 5mm LED levels.

Then there's the Peak Eiger. I can call Peak and have them make me one, in either green or red at my choice of output level. These use Rebels and one of the disadvantages (I think) is the colored Rebels don't have the low VF of their 5mm counterparts, so I don't know if this would put them at a disadvantage against a 5mm powered vampire light.

What do you guys think? I don't want this to turn into a why use red light when you could use a dim white light argument. Trust me I've used dim white light and I GREATLY prefer using a red light. I am however unsure about using green light, so your guy's input is greatly appreciated.

Hi defloyd77.....I have a VERY old first gen. Peak matterhorn- bare aluminum body (no HA coating) KC Lug body that has the single 5mm red. It is very light weigh weight and dim....definately a battery vampire. I will try to post a pic.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I know Peak made some single, triple and quintuple red LED Kilimanjaros. I have a 3xRed kilimanjaro and it is a solid battery vampire. It seems like Peak is discontinuing their 5mm LED lights so you might contact Peak directly to see if they, or their new distributor, have any old Kilimanjaro red LED inventories.

There was a seller in the dealer forum, flashlightguy1 IIRC who had a box of old Peaks he was unloading including a bunch of red LED models, and I thought he still had inventory but he hasn't been active on the boards in almost a year so... better to call Peak or RMSK directly.

It is odd that they have become so difficult to source other than in a Photon...

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
I know Peak made some single, triple and quintuple red LED Kilimanjaros. I have a 3xRed kilimanjaro and it is a solid battery vampire. It seems like Peak is discontinuing their 5mm LED lights so you might contact Peak directly to see if they, or their new distributor, have any old Kilimanjaro red LED inventories.

There was a seller in the dealer forum, flashlightguy1 IIRC who had a box of old Peaks he was unloading including a bunch of red LED models, and I thought he still had inventory but he hasn't been active on the boards in almost a year so... better to call Peak or RMSK directly.

It is odd that they have become so difficult to source other than in a Photon...

Gatsby..that was Robyn's son Mark- he must have sold all of his extras :sssh:

arioch

Enlightened
The Gerber Recon has adjustable filters in red, green, blue, and white. Body is the same as the Infinity, but has a larger head.

Single AA, momentary switch with twist for constant on/off.

I bought mine as a novelty item. I later received another one as a Xmas gift. I later lost one of them somewhere. :crazy:

Runs about $20-$25.

Seems to fit the bill.

Also, I liked my Photon Proton, which was the predecessor to the Photon Pro. However, with your desire for a battery "vampire", both the Proton and the Pro are AA battery hogs when running the 6 whit Nichias (Proton) or 1W Cree (Pro).

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to add, I would greatly prefer something with the KISS principle, single mode twisty. I'm looking to spend about 40ish at most and that would be for a Peak Eiger. I've found a green Gen 2 X1 for about 16 bucks shipped, but I've never actually used green light before and don't know if it would suit my uses.

If I had the money and modding skills, I would love to buy the old Photon Proton and upgrade it with Nichia GS's and a green LED.

Thanks for all of your help guys!

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Infinity Ultra did come in red.

I bought one from Sigman's big Gerber sale earlier this year.

Was a nice addition to my Infinity Ultra fleet.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well just for the heck of it I had e-mailed 4Sevens to see if it was possible for them to do an E01 with red LED mod, nope, but the guy that e-mailed me said he'd love an E01 in red as well.

I'm still trying to find an Infinity Ultra in red, everywhere is sold out and honestly I'd rather spend the few extra bucks and get a Peak Eiger than get an Ultra M.

I'm currently thinking about that green X1 and getting a Photon Freedom in red, I'm trying to search for posts on the green X1, but I get mostly I Bleed Toxic Green's X1 GS mod.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can mod the L0D to red, but it won't be very dim starting medium.

I'd rather spend my money on a Peak if I were to go that route, but thanks. Again, I have zero modding skills.

I'm rather stuck on a few things honestly, I'd like a battery vampire, I've got my E01 for AAA's, so a AA vampire would be nice, but I'd also like a sneak around the house light. The green X1 for sure is my vampire solution, but don't know if green light will be as low profile as red, so How much I can spend is iffy right now, I do roofing and it's the end of the season and I thought I had a job lined up, but that's unknown as of right now.

My choices are the X1 and a red photon, that gives me both a lightweight hands free (mouth or clip)stealthy red LED (but I go back to using less common cells) and a green LED 1AA vampire to satisfy my curiousity of green LED's, the Gerber Infinity Ultra M red which gives me a 1AA vampire, but is kind of larger and I can't find info on it and the Eiger which will be smaller than the IU, adding versatility on how I hold it and I can choose the level of light I want when I order.

longboat

Newly Enlightened
You should consider saving up until you can get the Zebralight H501R w/ red LED. It takes one AA battery, will run for 13 days on moon mode, and is definitely hands-free.

Although it has six modes, the UI is relatively simple. Can also be used as a taillight on your bicycle.

It's a bit pricey at 59USD, but you might find a cheaper one in the marketplace or on ebay.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I'm not really too crazy about Zebralights.

I think I'm going to go the X1 route and try to find myself an Infinity Ultra with a red LED, which is hard because google has a bunch of listings, but they are all sold out. Imagine my suprise to see a listing for 9.99 for one, but it's out of stock. If I can't find one by the time I order the X1, I'll just get a red Photon.

Thanks guys!