Maglite quality standards falling?

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
Just got some presents from a friend returning from SF to england - 3 shiny new mini-mags. A luscious blue ready for one of Wayne's sandwhiches, a sumptuous purple for the wife, and a smooth flag-lite special model for the bedside.

But what's this?!? There is silver showing through the anodising and the flag-lite is pitted beneath the design! And the end-cap looks second hand.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with them in all their shiny-ness, but I was expecting fewer flaws. Am I being too picky?

Interlude

Newly Enlightened
Yes, you're being picky... Maglights are still at the upper-end of mainstream lights. They were the first mfgr. to produce a quality product in this arena, and have pretty much stuck to the same level of quality for years. Granted, they've been outranked one hundred fold, but they still make good - if outdated, by CPF standards - a good light.

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I guess you're right. After a few months of use it will have picked up some dents and scratches anyway!
smile.gif

It's really quite annoying that I hear about so many fantastic lights on this forum, but I can't buy most of them over here! The ones that do make it (like maglites) double in price!

The abosulute cheapest I found a 2AA blister pack was GBP13, but more usually 15-16. The presentation cases are more usually 18-20. The flag-lite was GBP25! 2D starts from GBP26-27. Depressing or what! That's why I got my friend to pick some up over there.

poalcat

Newly Enlightened
Forgive me. I actually thought the discussion line was a joke. It could have been an extremely funny one. (That sounds harsher than I meant it to.) Talk about a setup!

I wouldn't know if the standards have gone down, since I haven't bought a Mag product for 6 years. It is, however, an appalling thought.

MrMom

Enlightened
I just picked up two AA Mags to drop in some New Beams. Compared them with my old Mags of 20 years ago and yes there is a quality difference. Fit is sloppy and the finish is very thin.

R. Brock

Tombeis

Enlightened
Mr. Maglite went through a messy court case with a woman who helped him build the flashlight business.When business became a success, he dumped her. She was awarded a huge settlement.

Mr.Mag must make more profit in order to pay settlement.

Mr.Mag now screws flashlight fanatics by building cheaper product and selling it for more money.

Mr.Mag tried to rename flashlight "The Club" but name was already taken by anti auto theft device manufacture.

New name in works is "Tent Stake Driver,"

Just think about what a great flashlight you could build if you had the money, staff, and production facility of Mr. Mag.
smile.gif

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
Now you mention it, I remember seeing that in the news. I guess a 2aa mag is a fraction of the price of an equivalent surefire, and you get what you pay for...
wink.gif

Mind you, I might start arranging to pay cpf members in the US to ship stuff to me - once you find the lights over here, you pay sooo much!

A surefire 6P will set you back about GBP70 (USD100-110)
frown.gif

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
mag getting worse? Wait - I feel the need to wretch.

Hey across the pond- drop me an email if you want an overseas source- you got some cool lights on you're side of the pond that envy - I can work something out. Even if not, it still would be good to build a bridge or two. I pity you if you can't get a surefire or arc reasonably

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is it that makes the maglite beam so bad? Is it the bulb or the reflector design? If its either of these two things, it seems as though we should be able to fix it...

Mark

Saaby

Flashaholic
It's both...the bulb is too dim. Lots of people replace it with a better one. The reflector stinks! Cheap $2 flashlgihts with a textured reflector are significantly better than Mags in the beam department.

Easiest (and possible most expensive) way to get more light (But not a nice beam, it's a flood) out of a larger mag like a C or D cell one? Add a Inretech Super 6
grin.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
There are several solutions for this.
You can put in a drop-in mod by Inretech (LS direct drive), Opalec Newbeam (3 5mm leds, regulated), or one of our members mods, such as Lambda's Ill-Pill or Dat2zip's sandwiches (both LS with converter). All of them are great, but, different use requires different solutions...
I'm sure I forgot some other solutions, but maybe this helps.
rolleyes.gif

Of course I'm just talking about the AA MiniMag here.

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
I've got a newbeam on the way. Had to order it direct from opalec. With shipping it was still cheaper than their only european outlet in germany.

I'm waiting for Wayne to announce his production outsourcing has made deliveries - at which point I will be signing up to paypal and putting my money where my mouth is!
grin.gif

I quite fancy an E2e with a KL1 head, but that's pretty big bucks, and I have some credit cards to clear down...
wink.gif

So aragorn - what have we got here that you haven't got there? (besides too much rain!
grin.gif
)

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by across the pond:

So aragorn - what have we got here that you haven't got there? (besides too much rain!
grin.gif
)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The only thing I can think of is Glowrings, As far as I know everything else is available (and usually cheaper) in the US

Good excuse for a nice holiday though, what was Arc's new address
grin.gif

Lucien

Enlightened
Originally posted by Saaby:
It's both...the bulb is too dim. Lots of people replace it with a better one. The reflector stinks! Cheap $2 flashlgihts with a textured reflector are significantly better than Mags in the beam department.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Agreed about the bulb. My first Mag was a disapointment. But how about the body department, compared to other all-metal flashlights? (Not that I can get Brinkmann units where I am) I find that the Mags are decently built, though I don't have one of the older ones to compare to.

franken2

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Saaby:

Easiest (and possible most expensive) way to get more light (But not a nice beam, it's a flood) out of a larger mag like a C or D cell one? Add a Inretech Super 6
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that's for sure, if mr mag opted to put a faceted reflector in his lights, it would make a huge improvement in beam quality! i've seen eveready 2d for $1 with faceted/textured reflectors. my 2 AA mags are awaiting inretech's rude?happy? awakening
shocked.gif
smile.gif