Surefire LX2 vs. Elzetta

sonrider657

Newly Enlightened
How do these two lights compare?
Both are US-Made, have approximately the same output, both offer high and low modes, both are hard anodized. The LX2 has a belt clip but the Elzetta does not. The LX2 is slightly more expensive.

Which is the better light?

post tenebras

Enlightened
:popcorn:

I only have the ElZetta, so I can't honestly opine which is better. Some people don't like the fact that the ElZetta lacks a glass lens. I solved this by putting in a borofloat minimag lens. It produces a slight gap between the bezel and the body, but it doesn't compromise waterproofing and the ElZetta comes with a couple of handy extra o-rings--I used one aesthetically to fill the gap perfectly.

SureFire has the stronger established reputation for excellent customer service, but from my experience, the ElZetta guys are equally committed.

The ElZetta/Malkoff is more flexible in terms of accepting RCR123's.

Last edited:

zven

Enlightened
I've never handled the Elzetta, so I can't speak from experience on that one. But from what I've heard, they should be of comparable quality, reliability, durability, etc. The prime differences would be:

Size - The LX2 is slimmer, but it's also longer than the Elzetta. If you're looking for pocket carry, the LX2 will probably be more convenient in this regard. But if you're looking for a firm, hand-filling grip, you might prefer the Elzetta.

Beam pattern - From my experience, the M60 module has a much smaller hotspot than the LX2, and less throw (certainly not a slouch there, just less than the LX2). On the other hand, the Elzetta's M60 will give you much brighter and wider spill than the LX2. If you're looking for as much throw as possible, the LX2 would make a better choice, but if you want a more balanced beam (between flood and throw) I'd go with the Elzetta.

UI - The LX2 operates just like any other momentary/twisty, but with the added benefit of being able to only push or twist part way to get a low level. Very simple and intuitive, and great for anyone who doesn't mind a momentary/twisty. Plus, when you're twisted to constant-on on low, you can still momentary press for high. From what I understand of the Elzetta's 2-stage switch, it's basically a clicky that allows you to set brightness by twisting to a certain position. If you prefer clicky switches, this would probably be the better choice, but you wouldn't get the momentary access to high when on constant-low like with the LX2.

Personally, I'd rather have the LX2, as its slim profile and clip allow for great pocket carry, and I'm a huge fan of its optic (plus, its easy to throw an F04 diffuser on there; not sure if a diffuser exists for the Elzetta). Also, somehow I trust the LX2's window to be more durable/resistant to impact than the M60's optic (though I haven't tested this). But I wouldn't say either of these is inherently "better" than the other.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In regards to the lack of window in the Elzetta/Malkoff designs, I would say this: The crown on the bezel of the Elzetta is such that nothing should really get close to the open window of the bezel to do any damage to the optic in front of the LED. The design makes a glass window which can be broken unnecessary. The unit is watertight without a window. The surefire is not watertight without the window glass. So if that glass breaks and the LED is exposed to water, you may have a problem.

The LED optic in the Malkoff is potentially subject to being scratched up or getting dirty under harsh use, but again, the crown makes it hard for things to get to it. You can actually wash the optic off in water just as it is in the unit if need be and just go with it. So I would say its a really tough call to say that the Surefire is a more robust design because it has the glass window in front of the optic. And since you have the option to put a glass window in there, and there are plenty to buy from flashlightlens.com, the Elzetta to me has the edge.

It is an extremely rugged housing. They designed it to go into combat. The M60 in this unit has a very useable beam pattern, great brightness, since its wide open like the MD2 should be 230 lumens out the front.

I would not let a little piece of glass stop me from owning an Elzetta/Malkoff system.

yuk

Newly Enlightened
MrGman, so you can say that you prefer the Elzetta over the LX2?

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have either, but I did make the same decision and now have an LX2 in the mail. My impression is that build quality of both is top notch, so it comes down to UI (LX2 has dual momentary function) and beam pattern (LX2 has bigger and brighter spot). Since I preferred a strong spot and like the improved momentary functionality, the LX2 was my choice. If you like more spill or value upgrade-ability, the Elzetta might be better for you.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not so sure if i am comfortable with a light that does not have a glass lens. In situation where mud gets in, which is very likely as a tactical or weapon light, cleaning it in the field would be a real chore. With a glass lens, just wipe it clean. If it scratches, changing the lens is cheap. With a bare reflector, you stand the chance of scratching the reflector real bad which could affect the beam profile. And changing the reflector would not be as cheap as changing the lens since the entire LED module is built onto it. Just my opinion.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing to stop you from putting a glass lens in front of the M60 module in the Elzetta if you really think you need it. That is part of the beauty of it. Malkoff sells them for $4.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing to stop you from putting a glass lens in front of the M60 module in the Elzetta if you really think you need it. That is part of the beauty of it. Malkoff sells them for $4.

Are you saying that the M60 module is removable from the Elzetta? If that is the case, how was it made waterproof in the first place even without the glass lens? Is there an O-ring right where the module is sitting to prevent water intrusion? I have not owned nor seen any Elzetta so I am not sure what to expect from it.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying that the M60 module is removable from the Elzetta? If that is the case, how was it made waterproof in the first place even without the glass lens? Is there an O-ring right where the module is sitting to prevent water intrusion? I have not owned nor seen any Elzetta so I am not sure what to expect from it.

Don't know about the Elzetta bezel, but the VME bezel I got from Gene came with a small flat o-ring that would seat against the Mxx module and would make it water-resistant (I am not sure about being truly immersible...). As a minor point of interest, the o-ring Malkoff sends for the M61 is slightly different from those for the M60/M30 series, according to Gene because of the different physical front end of the naked reflector M61 design vs. the covered optic M60/M30 designs.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Of course the module is removable, there is an O-ring in front of the module inside the bezel. Corrected

You can put the O-ring in front of a piece of glass in frong of the M60 module if you really feel you need the protection. However remember the M60's optic is sealed and if you got mud on that you could simply wash it off just as easily as the glass lens. If it wasn't robust enough as is, the design would have come with a glass lens already.

If you want extra cushion to the seal you can get the flat Malkoff rubber gasket and put that between the glass and the front of the M60 module.

Last edited:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta comes with an oring between the front of the bezel and the optic. The Elzetta is really a nice host, especially with the dual stage tailcap. Only knock against it is that it is primaries only.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta comes with an oring between the front of the bezel and the optic. The Elzetta is really a nice host, especially with the dual stage tailcap. Only knock against it is that it is primaries only.

How does it not fit 2XRCR123"s? The M60 module will take them. Did you mean it won't fit the fatter 18650? It will certainly fit 2XRCR123's and run off that voltage? the M60 can take up to 9V and work normally, that has never been an issue

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does it not fit 2XRCR123"s? The M60 module will take them. Did you mean it won't fit the fatter 18650? It will certainly fit 2XRCR123's and run off that voltage? the M60 can take up to 9V and work normally, that has never been an issue

Of course, you are correct! I was referring to the 18650's. R123's and the slightly larger diameter 17670's are not sizes I have so I keep on forgetting them.

Fooboy

Enlightened
Lx2 hands down.

If I could only own one light it would be this one, and would get passed to my son ... he's 2.

bullettproof

Enlightened
LX2 is nice no doubt. I was just comparing my U2A to my E2DL and I was rather surprised in what the U2A puts out performance wise.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give me an LX2 anytime. I am still not convinced about the Elzetta. I won't say it is bad but just having doubts. I have dropped my Surefires on concrete a times and not once did the glass break so I don't think I would be too concerned about that.