What Sunglasses do you wear?

EV_007

Enlightened
I have a few Oaklys. I like the wrap around polarizers myself. The newer interchangeable lens ones are cool as well.

I think Oakleys have safety glass ratings too.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
When light bounces off a flat or mirrored type of object (think glass, smooth water, car hood, etc) , the waves tend to become oriented the same way. Polarized glasses block out this type of light.

Even with dark sunglasses, bright glare from a windshield could be too bright to look at. Polarized glasses will help with this. They also tend to let you see into bodies of water, rather than surface reflections.

Careful though, sometimes polarized glasses can cause problems with certain LCD displays (for example there's always a chance you won't be able to see your car radio/clock/whatever display with them, depending on the display).

Overall polarization is a great advantage I think, but it can cost a lot.

BTW in response to the original question, Oakleys or Ray Bans

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheap whatever for me. My glasses will get scratched, broken, lost, "borrowed", etc. and I'm not willing to babysit them. I get darkened safety glasses for $4, nobody can tell what they are unless they wear the same thing. They look good on me. Lots of normal sun glasses have small lenses right in front of my eyes, but let bright light in all the way around, completely defeating the purpose. Safety glasses are required to wrap around to stop projectiles, and do a much better job stopping sunlight too.

:buddies:

Saaby

Flashaholic
My grandma sells sunglasses, so I have connections ;)

For the last couple of years I've had a wonderful pair of Mosley Tribe sunglasses. Mosley Tribes is a subsidiary of Oliver Peoples. The Mosley Tribes have a glass lens, so they're a bit heavy, but it's a very high quality, polarized lens. Quick aside: Last summer my car got broken into. There was nothing in the car to take, not even spare change. They did take the case for my sun glasses, but they left the actual sun glasses (Which were not in their case).

I was just up to see grandma and she sent me away with a new pair of shades. Oliver Peoples Boxley. Clear with green lens. Quite a bit different than my Mosley Tribes, which are a square-aviator style design, but a fun sunglass.

She sells Maui Jim, Tag Huer, Oakley, Smith, Ray Ban -- all great brands. Somebody mentioned the Sport-Clic glasses too. She sells those too. They are displayed on a fun stand that demonstrates their unique feature -- they magnet at the temple to the stand, but the notches that they magnet into are slightly offset, so you have a row of glasses with the right-sides slightly higher than the left. Certainly makes you do a double take!

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newest favorite for the last year and a half is the Native Eyewear Hardtop XP w/asphalt frame, blue reflex lenses.
http://www.nativeyewear.com/style/view/7
I compared them to more expensive glasses like Maui Jim, Costa Del Mar, higher end Oakleys, etc. and preferred the Natives(finally found something that actually performs great, AND looks decent on my big noggin!). I like them enough that the next glasses I buy will probably be the same thing, except maybe charcoal frame/gray lenses.
None of my previous glasses were polarized, but I'll never buy another pair of sunglasses that aren't again.

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
maui jims are the clearest ever, polarized, anti-reflective, best customer service.

smiths, good, offered in polarized and non

oakley, good, best styles imo.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Persol sunglasses are among the best in the world. Polarized glass lenses that never seem to scratch. Also, they make me look like a movie star.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
+1 on the Persols. Made in Italy. I have some aviators and had them put my presciption on them. I have had these for at least 10 years. Flashinator do you already have the Gargoyles or the Rayban Predators? Arnold wore these on the Terminator movies.