4sevens Packaging Magnets

flasherByNight

Enlightened
Just thought I'd share...the magnets used to keep the flap open on the Quark Series packaging door is strong enough to hold an E01 to metal surfaces :twothumbs. (ummm, "closed")

(Just strip it out of the paper) *Do I win lamest "mod" ever? :p

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
NdFeB magnets tend to be strong.

you can get them from DX in large quantities cheap! :thumbsup:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I got a nice stack of those in many different sizes and when I get my Ti Quark in I'll be sure to strip the box of it's magnet!

A free magnet is never lame.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I got it, my quark box has been 'hanging' out on the side of my metal desk at work. Attached by the magnets. Doesn't take up floor space that way.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
i took my magnets off 5 nights ago, i donno what to do with them...?

and doesnt magnets mess up batteries? like...draw its power or soemthing?

becasue i heard not to buy those cell phone holsters with the magnetic closures...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Just make sure not to put them near magnetic devices. That should be obvious but I crashed my last computer last time.

I think it depends on the battery.

flasherByNight

Enlightened

becasue i heard not to buy those cell phone holsters with the magnetic closures...

Some people glue them to their AAA batteries so they can plunk it on stuff ("plunk" is the technical term ;) ).
People use magnets as spacers for battery charging so I highly doubt they're bad for them.

The cellphone holsters with magnets are not suggested because most phones with keyboards have a magnet that tells the phone whether it's in landscape or portrait mode.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
For fun I pull apart dead hard drives - I have quite a few magnets!

I have screwed one to the side of my desk, the pocket clip of my Jet-I EX holds quite firmly on that. I can always find that torch at night.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

Magnets shouldn't do anything bad to batteries, unless they make a short from the positive to the side casing, which is often also the negative. Won't happen on a good quality battery unless the plastic wrap is torn open.

The worst I believe can happen is that you can magnetize metal parts. With regular sized batteries (AAA and up), you'll be able to get them out easily, but if you have anything that uses button-sized batteries (CR2032 or the likes) you might hate yourself when you try to take them out.