Nitecore Extreme vs. Super Defender Q5!

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone. It's me, your favorite winner of this week's FlashlightsNGear.com drawing! Actually I'm the only winner of the drawing this week. :eek: Anyone who wants to can check out their thread on CPFMP. The prize I received was a choice of one of the budget lights they carry. I chose the Super Defender Q5 because it looks a lot like a Nitecore Extreme and I'm a fan of the Nitecore Extreme. The Super Defender Q5 is approximately a $30 light.

I figured I'd do a side-by-side comparison of the two lights, since I didn't even know there WAS another flashlight like the Nitecore Extreme.

Okay, here we go. For the entirety of this thread, the Nitecore model will be on the left and the Super model will be on the right.

I am comparing the elusive Nitecore Extreme Neutral that I got from Pro-Light Japan. The only box I had lying around was for my Nitecore Extreme R2. The beamshots are the R2 version (that I modded with a R2 WH from Cutter... they put a very large and thick star on their combo's and it took some sanding and it isn't as pretty on the inside :eek:)

I'm going to nickname the Super Defender SD and the Nitecore Extreme NEX to make it easier on myself, they are long names.

1. These are the two boxes, they seem pretty similar.
img0742x.jpg

2. The SD's manual is bent a little bit from being pushed by the foam onto the light.
img0745hd.jpg

3. Here are the contenders, they appear to be well matched.
img0746a.jpg

4. The top of this picture is the left side, so the SD is on the top and the NEX is on the bottom. They look almost identical, but the SD does not have any mark whatsoever on the outside of the light. I think you can see that the X is running off the edge of the light. There is a somewhat sharp edge where it runs off, but I rubbed pretty good with my thumb and it only scratched the surface of my skin.
img0749n.jpg

5. The fins on the head of the SD are slightly closer together than the NEX. I don't think this would affect the performance.
img0752h.jpg

6. Here is the clip side of the lights. The SD's clip is about twice as thick as the NEX's clip. It is pretty tough! I'm not sure what kind of coating is on the SD's clip, it has a slight texture to it when I brush my fingernail across it. It didn't give any when I scratched it with my fingernail.
img0755u.jpg

7. Here are the business ends. There's a lot of dust in this picture. =\
img0757f.jpg

8. I tried to focus on the LED's, but they are both XR-E's, so there isn't too much to see, the depth of the reflectors is very similar.
img0760x.jpg

9. Here are the battery tubes, focused on the front.
img0761t.jpg

10. Focused on the back end.
img0762vm.jpg

11. Here is the positive battery contact on the back of the head.
img0764w.jpg

12. Now we're getting interesting. I pulled them apart for a closer inspection. :candle:
img0767qx.jpg

13. Here are the Lenses, the NEX lens is a bit thicker than the SD's.
img0769m.jpg

14. The bezels are almost identical.
img0770qe.jpg

15. The O-Ring on the NEX is round and approximately twice as thick as the SD's, I'm sure you could change the O-Ring if it bothered you. The SD's O-Ring is somewhat flat.
img0771j.jpg

16. Here are the positive and negative contacts to the pill. When the lights are assembled, they are not visible because of the brass colored cover in the next picture.
img0773d.jpg

17. These are the brass colored covers.
img0774j.jpg

18. This picture is showing the threads on the head. Maybe the NEX has a little heftier threads.
img0776ky.jpg

19. Reflectors: the SD has a blemish on the end of the reflector. It might affect the water proofing, but the rest of the reflector has no marks on it.
img0778sp.jpg

20. When I was unscrewing the light engine from the reflector, I noticed there is an extra O-Ring on the NEX, I'll show you where it goes in a later picture.
img0779la.jpg

21. Here are the two light engines, they are somewhat different. Aluminum vs Brass, I don't know that there is much of a difference in ability to transfer heat. The SD's emitter is a little scuffed up, but I doubt it will affect the performance.
img0782i.jpg

22. The NEX's spring is held on by force, it sits between the brass button and the outside of the pill where the reflector meets it. The SD's spring is held on with solder.
img0785zv.jpg

23. Both lights use a plastic "washer" to protect the power wires to the LED from shorting out on the metal reflector. The NEX's is thicker and more opaque than the SD's "washer".
img0788h.jpg

24. This is where the extra O-Ring sits on the NEX. It goes between the reflector and the head. It is likely that the SD's water resistance is less than the NEX.
img0789f.jpg

25. The SD can tailstand a bit by standing on the flat switch cover. The SD uses a reverse clickie and the NEX uses a forward clickie. Maybe one of these days I'll put one of my spare NEX clickies in the SD.
img0790h.jpg

26. The NEX comes with some extra goodies.
img0791nl.jpg

27. The only thing that comes with the SD is the manual.
img0794le.jpg

28. The NEX R2 is brighter than the SD Q5. The SD Q5 seems to have less Cree Rings.
img0795m.jpg

29. This is with reduced exposure. The hotspot of the SD is smaller than the NEX, but they seem to be approximately the same intensity even with the lower output of the SD. I guess that the SD has an honest lumen rating.
img0797a.jpg

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks again to Daniel and FlashlightsNGear.com!

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
WoW, Iam impressed, I didnt expect a total comparison :kewlpics: I figured a beamshot and a side-by-side photo or something, Thanks Divine.. Ive been curious about how similar the Super Defender is to the Real Thing since I got them in and now I know :D Thanks Again

kramer5150

Flashaholic
My understanding is the NDI head is SF E series compatible (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Is the SD also?

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
WoW, Iam impressed, I didnt expect a total comparison :kewlpics: I figured a beamshot and a side-by-side photo or something, Thanks Divine.. Ive been curious about how similar the Super Defender is to the Real Thing since I got them in and now I know :D Thanks Again
No problem, it is the least I could do. I mean, I got a cool light for nothing. :D

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is the NDI head is SF E series compatible (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Is the SD also?
Okay, so I put a KX1 single mode head on it and it didn't light up. I took the head off and looked at how long the threads are on the NEX vs the SD and they looked identical. So I put the KX1 single mode on the NEX and it didn't light up either.

I grabbed a E1e head, same deal, neither lit up.

I pulled out a KX1 dual mode head, put it on the SD and it lit up. Here it is breathing some life into the KX1 dual mode.
img0811q.jpg

Comparing the length of the threads to the E1L body, the E1L's threads are a fraction of a millimeter longer, so some heads might work and some might not. I don't think you'd have any trouble if you were alright with a paperclip on the end of the battery tube.

*edit* The head is kind of wobbly on the SD because of the smaller threads on the SD. Nobody quote me saying that if you really use your light, you won't break the end off of your SD threads. =\ The NEX is a much better fit. *edit*

If anyone wants me to try it with my E1L single mode and E1e head, I will and post the results.
Very nice comparison.
Thank you very much.
I enjoyd it.
Thanks, I enjoyed making it. :)

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pulled out a KX1 dual mode head, put it on the SD and it lit up. Here it is breathing some life into the KX1 dual mode.
In a round-about way, I think this answers the only question I have about E-series compatability - will the SD head work on other E-series bodies? Sounds like it will, and it's nice to have cheap LED upgrades for older Surefires.

Edit: But, the lack of Li-ion support is a bummer.

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice comparison. Now it is time to compare the Ultrafire defender infinity with he real one.

FlashlightsNgear.com

Last night I tryed a 16340 in the Super Defender and it seems to work just fine, it does get warm after 10 min or more on high but not to warm to use. I just ordered several more of these but with the Romisen name on them, Ill let you know if their is any difference between the two very soon. This is a very useful little light that I wear around my neck using a Olight neck lanyard, it gets used alot more here lately and seems to take a beating very well (its been dropped on concrete and survived) :D

fatts

Newly Enlightened
Well for one thing, the Romisens have different threading to the Nitecore and this Super Defender clone. It's already been mentioned on the DX forums. =)

FlashlightsNgear.com

Well for one thing, the Romisens have different threading to the Nitecore and this Super Defender clone. It's already been mentioned on the DX forums. =)
Cool, thanks Fatts, I dont read at DX forums, I didn't even know a DX forum existed. Here's the catch -> Its a Deal if it works and eXtreme ly long ship time + eXtreme ly expensive to send it back if it doesn't work. I get everything factory direct or from a distributor I can actually speak with, all my budget lights are tested before shipping and have a 30 day warranty. Its a great little light for under 30 bucks, most customers buy 2 to get free shipping and a discount :)

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Super Defender from Flashlights-N-Gear and the heads are interchangeable between the Romisen & the S.D.(at least in my two units)

Cool, thanks Fatts, I dont read at DX forums, I didn't even know a DX forum existed. Here's the catch -> Its a Deal if it works and eXtreme ly long ship time + eXtreme ly expensive to send it back if it doesn't work. I get everything factory direct or from a distributor I can actually speak with, all my budget lights are tested before shipping and have a 30 day warranty. Its a great little light for under 30 bucks, most customers buy 2 to get free shipping and a discount :)

It's an awesome light!

I've been comparing the two for the last half hour and a few differences stand out:

On the Romisen RC-A4 the HA finish is slightly lighter colored but barely a noticeable ammount, the threads feel tighter & rougher than the S.D. and the switch has a shorter travel. The dimensions & proportions are almost identical with the noted exception of the crenelated bezel's; the SD's teeth have more of a point than the flat topped ones on the Romisen.

However; one HUGE difference between them is the regulation. The S.D. is almost equally bright on CR123's or RCR123's(a bit brighter on fresh RCR's) whereas the Romisen is probably directly driven or using another form of regulation because on RCR's it's equally bright than the S.D. but when you switch to Primaries it's very very dim...It's not boosting the current at all.

By the way Flashlights-N-Gear's service was excellent, the shipping was fast & well packed...I ordered a few days ago and it arrived today. :twothumbs:
I will definitely shop again...Thank You

fatts

Newly Enlightened

Ah I was just pointing out the differences between the Romisen and the Super Defender. I had no intention of sending the message that CPFers should buy it from DX straight. :)