Experiment With Opalec to improve Sidespill *pics*

Illuminated

Enlightened
I recently acquired an Opalec/MM/Kroll/B270, and I like it a lot.

After looking at the black spacer included with the LED module, I couldn't help but think it could maybe do just a little something to contribute to output, so I painted it with flat white...

opalec1vu.png

fbe68d32.jpg

I think it does produce more sidespill than before, though I don't have a twin to compare it with. It's an easy, inexpensive mod, looks good, and I don't see how it could hurt anything. If nothing else, It should make a good base coat for some glow paint...

Happy modding!

John

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If nothing else, you get an "A+" for your photography!

I was actually thinking of doing the opposite to my Streamlight Septor. It has a silver reflector behind it's 7 LEDs, and it makes rings around the output, that I find mildly irritating. I was thinking of painting my reflector flat black.

Do you notice any rings or artifacts with it now?

I also did something similar to my Inretech Super6. Mine is mounted in a 4 C cell Mag, and the lens rattled. So I chopped the reflector off, and installed it mostly as a spacer to secure the lens.
fc504e67.jpg

And like you, I don't have another to compare it to, however, I don't notice any improvment or detriment from the reflector.

Illuminated

Enlightened
Shankus,

Actually, the pics were done on my flatbed scanner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif as I don't have a digital camera.

As for rings, well, I think I might now be getting something from the shiny bevel inside the lens ring of the MM. There was not enough side light reflected before to make this noticeable. If I decide I don't like it, I can always paint it black.

I'll have to wait until the next time I visit my father to do a side-by-side comparison to be sure of the effects. (I got him one for Father's Day, and now he's the only other person I know who has one...)

Thanks for the reply - John

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you can always undo it, or, if it turns out well in comparison, you could paint it silver!

[ QUOTE ]
Illuminated said:
I got him [an Opalec] for Father's Day, and now he's the only other person I know who has one...

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahh, what a good son. I should have had kids.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Experiment With Opalec to improve Sidespill *p

I drilled out the stock minmag reflector, then filed it a bit until it fit. I can't tell if it actually makes a difference or not, but it looks good. I can't get my crappy camera to take a decent picture of it, though.

Illuminated

Enlightened
Shankus,

I have done some backlit display panels in the past with lights mounted in plastic cups. They were dim, so I used silver paint inside the cups, but this did virtually nothing. Then I tried white paint, and the improvement was markedly noticeable.

What I was after here was not more throw, but hopefully some additional smooth, even spill light, as these things are already a nice flood for area lighting or close-in work, etc.

BTW - it was my father, many years ago, who taught me that a decent flashlight was a necessary tool, and always thought the Mags were one of the best.

Now, I've set him up with a TigerLight FBOP w/UCL & 2 chargers, an Opalec/MM/Kroll/B270, (2)Photon-I's, and a slightly souped-up 5D Mag (he carries the TL if light is needed...the Mag is for...) Plus, I've upgraded one of his old 2D's with the 3C conversion for the spare toolbox.

It's pure joy for me to see his enlightenment when he fires one up, or when he calls and says how he can't get over how great the Photons are to have always handy. Life is too short to pass up the chances I have to show my gratitude for the things I have been taught...

John

freewheelin'

Enlightened
You guys are right, got to take care of our fathers. Plus its nice to be able to return something and teach as well. You should have seen my dads face when he fired up my SNII, he's now using it in the mountains of Idaho on a month long backwoods excursion with my uncles. Oh yeah, hes also got an Opelec MiniMag for bath tree runs.His old standby 5d Mag is at home, replaced by LED's provided by CPF guru's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

John,

Why the heck does your flatbed scanner take better digital pics than my $1,200 digital cam/video cam????

I tried this and it works nicely! I used acrylic model paint.

Wilkey

Illuminated

Enlightened

Wilkey,

I don't know - my HP5370C scanner has higher resolution than the cheapie scanners, and I'm quite happy with it. Don't have digital cam - I still use film and scan prints for repro when needed. It's a great scanner...

So you think the white paint is better than the black plastic? Just want to be sure I'm not only convincing myself that it does. I might have to get some glow powder sometime...

John

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ginseng,
The object is under 'controlled' condition when you scan it under the scanner while your digital cam/video takes photo in different environment. Ie, lightning. That makes the big difference. Another thing, scanner is alot slower but produce better macro.

Sorry abit off topic but couldn't help it.

Vince.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ahh yeah,

Macro on my digicam sucks.

John,

I checked out the apparent brightness before and after the paint and it is noticeably brighter. Not 2X, but slightly brighter I suspect because of the light reflected that would otherwise be absorbed by the black collar. I used the same set of batteries so that was a constant. I'm quite pleased with this el-cheapo mod.

Wilkey

Illuminated

Enlightened

Wilkey - Cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Vince - Thanks for that explanation - I never really thought about that, and I *do* have a lot to learn about photography (NOooooooooO! I don't *need* another expensive hobby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

John

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heh, you guys should try, just for fun, aluminum tape on the sides of the Opalec spacer ring...

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

It seems like Opalec should be molding these spacer rings out of white plastic instead of black.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will try this with the one I gave my girlfriend.