New here...

LightGiver

Newly Enlightened
Hi, my name is LightGiver and I think I'm becoming a Flashaholic. :sigh:

I've never had anything better than a 3 D-Cell Mag, and for the most part the mag was "good enough," so I never knew what I was missing until recently...

I decided to buy a LED flashlight as a b-day gift for my brother since he never has a light when he needs one and always asks to use mine (annoying as hell). I wanted to get him something that was really bright, yet small enough to carry all the time and sturdy enough to survive abuse. So I looked around and decided on a Fenix PD20.

Once it arrived we tested it out in total darkness and wow!! I know you guys have some really awesome LEDs, but when you're used to a bulb Maglite, the PD20 looked like a hand held supernova! :eek: I never knew so much light could come out of a flashlight that small. From then on I just had to get my own...

So I got a TK12 (I like that it has several different modes) so I could have a general purpose light and HD light to use in conjuntion with my Pistol. But it didn't stop there, I then had to have something I could carry with me all the time, so I bought a Fenix LD01... think that satisified me? Ofc not, now I'm looking at the Maratac AAA/AA offerings. Not only that, I now want a dedicated weapon light for my pistol instead of just using the TK12. Does it ever end?! :broke:

Then I came across this informative forum while researching other models of lights. Ive been looking to get a good long use LED light for my mom to keep in her home and to replace the cheapo flashlights. I already got her an EO1, but I think its better suited as keychain light, even though its bright enough in the house, I think I should get her something brighter. Maybe two. :cool:

Anyway, I've been lurking here for a couple days and here I am now. I hope to learn a lot here and contribute myself as I become more knowledgeable. :thumbsup:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
... as to presenting someone else a light:
keep it simple!!!!! on/off, thats enough
(I have lent around enough lights be be totally SURE on that)

light for mum:
a 2C cell Maglite with a good led insert. Eventually the original Mag-led insert.
Long runtime over maximum brightness.

ramlanrafie

Newly Enlightened
Hi LightGiver,

I'm also new here, however would like to welcome you; :welcome:

computernut

Enlightened
Welcome! I was new here back in March when I got my first Surefire. Before that I had Mags and EDC'd an Inova X1 and was labeled as having a flashlight fetish by my friends and family. Now I know there are others out there like melovecpf

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: to woe be to your wallet :D

for mom, i humbly suggest a very reasonably priced Romisen RC N3 warm white LED which you can get here use the discount code "CPFuser" for a discount (duh), service at shiningbeam is beyond excellent, my order was shipped within 24 hours which is simply amazing.

Romisen RC N3 warm white is a good single mode 2xAA light, some of my amateur beamshots in comparison with the Romisen RC N3 II Q5 (2xAA, 2 mode white LED light) can be seen here, load it with lithium AAs (no leaking) and you're good to go.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!!!

It pretty much ended for me when I got hooked on McGizmo & Lummi lights!! I am spoiled by McGizmo's.

LightGiver

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome!! And Suggestions! I spoke w/ my mom and she seems really content with the EO1. She says she likes being able to move around the house at night w/o having to turn on the lights and that the E01 is nice because its bright enough to get around without being too bright. :candle:

Oh well, that wont stop me from trying out some new lights myself! I'm just glad there's such a resource here to help me find what I want (I mean "need," lol). lovecpf

pipoy

Newly Enlightened
Hi ,

Good day everybody!!!

Newbie also . & Im getting hooked on this lil bright things.

Im just amazed how strong this small light is 1 mo ago still unheard of.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: though your wallet may not like it if i may let me suggest a few places to look at for light purchases.

shingingbeam is great for budget lights, service is BEYOND excellent ( i speak from experience ), other sites like batteryjunction, lighthound, 4sevens, bugoutgear come to mind, but if in doubt, always always feel free to ask.

This site is THE best site i have come across, members are invariably helpful, moderators are vigilant and also helpful. You will have a great time here (though my wife may beg to differ after seeing my light purchases :p )

lightplay22

Enlightened
Welcome!! And best wishes to you as you adapt to living with this flashlight dependency disease!

Got my mom a 3xaa led light that comes in a two-pack from Sam's and she loves it. At first she said she would take it but didn't know what she would use it for, now she uses it daily (or should say nightly) and told me she never thought of how handy a small flashlight could be.

Have fun!

Red_Dot

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys
welcome to CPF..you have come to the right place for all lights related to lights..i havent been active for quite a while now but do come by from time to time, things have changed quite a bit since the days of custom makers like Mr Bulk (the VIP), D Speck's FireFly (real shame about his non-delivery), Jets22 (another talent gone MIA) replaced by China manufactured lights - at a fraction of the costs with much greater output, so I'm not really complaining.