ARCMania SF-III AA flashlight?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw this on Lighthound.com this morning while browsing around. Searched through CPF and can't really find anything of value regarding reviews or specs:

http://www.lighthound.com/ARCMania-SF-III-Cree-XP-E-AA-Flashlight_p_3298.html

Claims to be an R3 XP-E with a WC tint (a bit on the cool side). 3 levels.

Wondering what the 3 levels are? Runtimes? Beamshots? Throw/flood? etc.....

Not cheap at $500 but I know the value of these lights show itself in the craftsmanship.

DM51

Flashaholic
I hadn't noticed that detail... but the best way to clear it up would probably be to PM ARCMania.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some photos of the combat grip SF-III. Now we just need the micro processors and SMT Ostars.....

The light in the middle are the 1 x AA version of the SF-III. I have 2pcs available that can ship immediately if any interest. Choice of an Cree XP-E R3 in brightness or a Nichia NCSW136TE.

2lcxtgo.jpg

2cf9p44.jpg

24w51fl.jpg

2vjq07m.jpg

ARC mania

over sized image removed

Sorry for the late response. The 1 AA version of the SF-III is 21mm shorter than the standard SF-III. It has three levels of light: 15%, 35% and 100% plus memory. In high setting running an Energizer Lithium AA, the converter drives the LED at 700ma. Also there is no PWM in lower settings as I know most people hate the flickering:) The SF-III AA can not use lithium ions, only the following batteries: NiMH, alkaline and Energizer Lithium AA. Since these were made in a prototype batch, I've got to ask the same price as a standard SF-III. To date, its the brightest single AA powered light. Only 2 available.

ARC mania
I can't imagine that many of these were made. I wonder how many lighthound actually has.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting - I wonder what OTF lumens would be - I imagine around 150 or so based on the description. Too bad it can't take a 14500.

easilyled

Flashaholic
:eek: $500 aa aluminum flashlight! How can it be worth this much?

Its worth as much as someone is prepared to pay for it, just like anything else.

On a watch forum, you'll have people prepared to pay $20,000+ for a Rolex.

Over here, people are prepared to pay the asking price for what they perceive to be a good quality flashlight because this is a flashlight forum.

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek: $500 aa aluminum flashlight! How can it be worth this much?
Best explanation I can come up with...

Consider the compromises made for any mass-produced product. ARC mania produces small runs (set costs are amortized over fewer units) of lights with minimal compromises.