LD01 vs ITP/Maratac AAA

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may be in the market for a new keychain light and I previously had the LOD and I can't decide whether or not to just go for the LD01 or the ITP. On the one hand the price of the itp appeals to me, but since this is the main light I use I am willing to pay extra for the fenix. I really like fenix's medium but I also kinda want that low low that the ITP has. How does the ITP's medium compare to the LD01's during actual use? Does anyone have any pictures comparing the beam profiles?

Right now I am leaning towards sticking with fenix.....but I'm not 100%.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may be in the market for a new keychain light and I previously had the LOD and I can't decide whether or not to just go for the LD01 or the ITP. On the one hand the price of the itp appeals to me, but since this is the main light I use I am willing to pay extra for the fenix. I really like fenix's medium but I also kinda want that low low that the ITP has. How does the ITP's medium compare to the LD01's during actual use? Does anyone have any pictures comparing the beam profiles?

Right now I am leaning towards sticking with fenix.....but I'm not 100%.
I have the LD01 SS and its medium is higher than the med on the ITP. The modes of the LD01 are not spaced nearly widely enough as I am sure most who have one will agree with me. The low of the ITP is super, lasting a long time and not smoking the retinas of dark adapted eyes. Its also smaller than the LD01 and is much cheaper. My only slight gripe is the lack of knurling but if you want better grip on the body and head then go with the identical (on the inside) Maratac.

All in all the ITP is a better light IMO.

Edit: The LD01 throws a little further than the ITP. Its noticeable but not a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under the impression the LD01 is a tiny bit smaller? Maybe the ITP is just smaller than the SS model? Thanks for the info though.
How would you compare the beams? It sounds like you think the ITP is a bit floodier? What about tint?

Thanks alot.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under the impression the LD01 is a tiny bit smaller? Maybe the ITP is just smaller than the SS model? Thanks for the info though.
How would you compare the beams? It sounds like you think the ITP is a bit floodier? What about tint?

Thanks alot.
Hi sol-leks, the ITP is smaller than the standard LD01 and the SS version both of which are the same size.

As for the beam well the ITP has wider spill and a slightly larger hotspot with a smoother over all beam pattern due to the Cree XP-E. The tints will vary with both lights but mine are pretty similar actually - a standard cool white which is pleasant enough.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm, you know you may have sold me on the ITP. The size difference seems pretty negligible to me but I noticed that the ITP is significantly lighter. Although I guess that might imply that it is slightly less durable, but I wouldn't mind debulking my keychain a bit. Also I hadn't noticed that one was an xr-e and the other was xp-e, thanks for bringing that to my attention. Actually, you know Im not sure if I know what exactly the difference is between these two leds, could you elaborate? Thanks.

Tohuwabohu

Newly Enlightened
Size comparison of both flashlights:
02ipta3eosss.jpg

The Cree XP-E in the iTP is much smaller than the XR-E in the Fenix:
03ipta3eosss.jpg

The Fenix feels more solid than the iTP.
The iTP has the nicer beam pattern and the modes are spaced better but the PWM can be visible in some conditions in low and medium mode. At 200Hz it is better than the 100Hz of the Fenix L0D but not as good as the 1250Hz of the LD01.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pictures. The pwm probably wont be an issue for me since I didn't even notice it on the LOD.

The ITP can't tailstand right? I don't really ever use that feature, but I guess I always thought it was nice on the fenix.

Last edited:

ejot

Enlightened
The iTP reflector is lightly orange peeled, which also helps explain the smoother beam and lesser throw than the LD01 with its smooth reflector.

The weight difference is about 9g, which isn't too significant compared to the rest of my keychain. The problem I have with carrying the iTP on my keychain is the tiny split ring hole that only allows the super-cheezoid split rings. I have gotten a larger one on, but not without mangling the ring. Add the fact that the LD01 is just drop dead sexy, and it stays on the keyring.

My iTP is very easy to switch with one hand while the LD01 almost absolutely requires two, even after lubrication. It seems that the LD01 compresses the o-ring a bit more, so I suspect it would be more water resistant (this is just speculation though).

EDIT: and no, the iTP doesn't tailstand, but the Maratac version does. I'm still partial to the Fenix notch design for tailstanding capability.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I have a Maratac, I had an LD01 SS and I've got an Eiger being shipped to me now.

The Maratac is OK but I don't trust the keychain attahment and I notice the PWM too much. The LD01 was good but since I got the SS version it was a bit heavy for my already grossly overloaded keychain and the levels were too close together. I'm trying the HA Eiger because I got to choose just how many lumens I wanted in one simple mode without any PWM. I'm hoping it'll be the one to kick the funky beamed E01 off my keychain.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
From everything people have written I think I may very well go with the ITP. The price is great and the orange peeled reflector really appeals to me. Heh. I also like that it is smaller and lighter. The LOD when put alongside the bottle opener and flashdrive on my keychain added up to a pretty good bulk. I am a bit worried about that flimsy keyring, but I'm sure I can figure out something better.

sabre7

Enlightened
The iTP aluminum with lithium battery is extremely lightweight and small - it is totally unnoticeable on my keychain. The natural is a brownish/olive color & been on my keys for a couple months with no noticeable wear to ano or split ring attachment :thumbsup:

Bort

Newly Enlightened
I know it is a cliche, but I recommend getting both.
The Maratac with a snap ring keychain attachment is a dynamite little back up.
On the other hand, the LD01 ss is really a very nice piece of workmanship. It has the appearance, and feel of a well made tool.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably wouldn't get the stainless steel, it is pretty but I don't want the extra weight. Aluminum is fine for me. Titanium on the other hand.....well those lights are usually out of my price range.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot recommend the Fenix because low is not low enough.

But the PWM frequency of the Fenix is much more liveable.

It appears the EOS has better build quality than the Maratec, judging by the pictures above.. But I like the features (tailstanding etc) and knurling of the Maratec better.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
i say wait for 4seven's new preon series...

got 1 lumen out the front

will have a Ti verison.

will have a clicky verison..

will be very affordable...

DigMe

Enlightened

wow! That seems to be upping the bar if it's all that they say it is.

i say wait for 4seven's new preon series...

got 1 lumen out the front

will have a Ti verison.

will have a clicky verison..

will be very affordable...

how affordable? Fenix affordable or iTP affordable and when is it coming out?

Edit: Nevermind. I just found the thread at the mp.
brad

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't post over there. So I post here. Wow! The competition for EDC single AAA lights is heating up with Maratac leading the way. Ti and SS don't impress me. I will take AL at a lower price any day. I was going to buy one more Maratac AAA (black), but I will wait now because more choices will be available. What impresses me about this light is that it has many of the great things the Maratac has and then some. I would buy it because of the L/M/H sequence and a very bright high for an AAA light. It has the useful low and medium and that bright high to show off. I like what I read about this light. Thanks for posting the link.

Last edited: