Anyone else annoyed at FluPIC blink?

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else out there get really bugged by the .8 second blink of the FluPIC?

Sure, the pwm dimming and multi-levels was ground-breaking, and is useful.
But I hate how it blinks to confirm the selection, which isn't really necessary in my opinion. It's especially disruptive at night.

I'm just surprised I haven't heard other people complain about this yet. Am I the only weirdo?

I would love to see a FluPIC version that didn't have this! In my mind it's the only detriment to a wonderful DD board.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, your not a weirdo :p
That annoying blink ruins what is otherwise a great
board
The first time I came across the Flupic was in a P7 LE
I thought there was a fault somewhere
Recently I build a tri Cree 1C Mag with the Flupic
and took the time to read the user guide and discovered
the blink was normal :ohgeez:
Having said all of that, I still plan to use the tri Flupic for
another build :D

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do find it to be a bit irritating, but its not so bad if you don't change levels often. I would prefer to get rid of it all together, but unfortunately Goldserve is no longer with us.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tx: glad to know I'm not the only one =) Good luck with the build. Even if it is annoying, often it's the only choice we have...!

Maxspeeds: Actually, I would disagree, because regardless of whether you change levels often or not, you always get the blink whenever you arrive at your target brightness. And that includes every time I turn it on from off; that's probably what gets me most. It's subtle, almost like Chinese water torture =D I almost have to wait for it to blink first, before I'll actually go about using the light. Again, I may be just a weirdo. BUT - what did you mean about Goldserve not being with us?? Did you mean that in the way I think you mean?? I hadn't heard anything...

greenLED: Hehe =) Maybe you're right. My friends certainly think you are! But again, I have to disagree with you - there's no real 'feedback' you get, because if you just leave the light at the level you like, you know it's going to stay there! The only feedback it gives you is that you can't change levels now, but if you tried you would find out anyway. I.e., the only situation I could see it being useful, is after you did the off-on cycle several times, paused briefly, and then was wondering if you could do the off-on cycle once more to change the level - and then it blinks, letting you know it settled. But that's so unnecessary, esp. if you memorize the level cycle, which I'm sure almost everyone does. If anything, I think the blink should have been set to be an option.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw, the reason I bring this up now is that I just acquired a Draco - I had one way back when, when they first came out, but the FluPIC blink was one of the main reasons I sold it off back then. Now that I decided I would like a mini light of the Draco's output range for neck-carry, I think I can tolerate the dreaded blink, but was just hoping there might be some way to get a FluPIC v.10 (or whatever) that ditches the blink =D

greenLED

Flashaholic
greenLED: Hehe =) Maybe you're right. My friends certainly think you are! But again, I have to disagree with you - there's no real 'feedback' you get, because if you just leave the light at the level you like, you know it's going to stay there! The only feedback it gives you is that you can't change levels now, but if you tried you would find out anyway. I.e., the only situation I could see it being useful, is after you did the off-on cycle several times, paused briefly, and then was wondering if you could do the off-on cycle once more to change the level - and then it blinks, letting you know it settled. But that's so unnecessary, esp. if you memorize the level cycle, which I'm sure almost everyone does. If anything, I think the blink should have been set to be an option.

I think you made me realize why I like the blink... I haven't bothered memorizing the sequence.