Are Nuwai's a thing of the past?

Autospirit

Newly Enlightened
I have owned a QIII since back in the day when they were all the rage and I still love the thing. In fact, I was just thinking about buying another one because I figured Nuwai is tough to beat in terms of price, size and quality of output.
Am I wrong? Have they come out with any better products since then?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nuwai has come out with some Luxeon Rebel models. I don't know of any dealer that sells them, pretty sure you can buy directly from Nuwai.

Try the google search up top for Nuwai.

BatteryJunction sells the older Nuwais.

DigMe

Enlightened
Yes I think there are better single CR123 lights now. LEDs have come a long way even since the QIII was all the rage. Check out he Eagletac P10C or T10C. Also Liteflux LF3 XT. I'm sure there are plenty of others. If you're willing to move up to a 2xCR123 light then check out the 40% off fire sale at eagletac-store.com with coupon code eagle40. It's going to be real hard to beat the P100C2 for $25 but they are going fast.

Brad

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Junction has an Inventory Blowout Sale going on right now. I have the Nuwaii 5 watt. It's easily bored out to take an 18650 with just a hand drill and bit. And although it's not the latest and greatest LED, I think the $15 price is worth it. I'm thinking of getting an extra or two at that price.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Yes for the most part their older luxeonI/II/III models are out-dated. Current lights from other makers emit more light, while drawing less cell current. It used to be that Nuwai quality was superior to the other cheap chinese brands, but now I think it is a much more even field.

The Romisen/ITP lights at Shiningbeam and Akoray/Nkoray lights from DX are the way to go if you are after bright low $$ Chinese lights. I have been very impressed with the regulation and multi-mode circuits on these lights too.

It needs to be pointed out that Nuwai does have some more up to date offerings, but availability (from reputable retailers...etc...) may be your limiting factor.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
It should also be pointed out that Nuwai does not actually manufacture any of the lights they market. Their builder (whos name I forget) is in Asia and they make lights for River Rock, Energizer and countless others. So... if you can find a brighter, more up to date light from one of these other brands you are getting (essentially) the same thing as a Nuwai.

Hopefully someone can post a follow up comment and elaborate on this... I forget who Nuwais OEM builder is. :poke:

Flashlight manufacturers, even the high end ones are very secretive about their sub-contractors and piece part manufacturing origins.

Last edited:

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
I was just wondering this myself the other day. I remember when Nuwai was all the rage and then they just disappeared. I also used to have a QIII that I loved until somebody stole it and I haven't been buying many lights lately so I still haven't replaced it.
Shining Beam also has some nice (and inexpensive!) single CR123A lights that would blow away the old Nuwai lights.

sfca

Enlightened
Here's a thread I started (and ended) about a Nuwai rebel model.
5 different manufacturers.

There's a version of the Nuwai TM-308XR that's now available to order. If you can find their site you can give them a shout.

I asked this summer and was told they would have flashlights with Cree and Seoul LEDs around the end of this year.

Oh yeah, I posted a good deal for the Brite Strike version of the rebels in the good deals at the marketplace. Not pushing the stock trading part of it but the price is reasonable for your choice of any flashlight. Bit less then 100 bucks.

faucon

Enlightened
I still use my QIII once in a while, and I really like its smooth beam. It does get very hot, though, if left on for an extended period---much hotter than newer lights with more output.

Autospirit

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the QIII's beam is silky smooth. Point taken about better LED technology available from other manufactures though... Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I may try out Silverbeam's Romisen RC-A4