A SST-50 Thrower? (Thrunite Catapult)

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another light has popped up in the marketplace that interests me.. a SST-50 light made by thrunite dubbed the catapult.

apparently, MC-Es can't throw without a donut hole due to the spacing between dies, whereas the sst-50 doesn't have a problem.

specs:

Maximum of 900 lumens on high
Maximum of 40 hours of runtime on super-low

USER INTERFACE
Two Modes are offered:
Tactical Mode and Civilian Mode
Each Mode has two levels
Tactical: High & Strobe
Civilian: High & User-settable Low

To choose the other level in either Tactical Mode or Civilian Mode:
Double click, within three seconds

To have the light remember the last level selected:
Select the level you want within a Mode--then wait 4 seconds before turning light on again. Note: Strobe will be not remembered

To switch from one Mode to the other:
Starting in High, shut the light off by clicking once. After three seconds, press the switch four times--for the first three clicks, no light output will occur. On the fourth click, the light will come on, in High, indicating that you have successfully changed the Mode.

To set the User-settable Low level:
In the Low level of the Civilian mode, shut the light off by clicking once. After three seconds, press the switch four times-- for the first three clicks, no light output will occur. On the fourth click, you will have entered the user-settable low successfully. The light will now ramp up slowly, showing each of the eight possible levels for one-two seconds. To select a level, just shut light off, and on again, immediately.

Catapult-1.jpg

1- LED - We are using the revolutionary cutting -edge SST-50 LED for extreme brightness -- without artifacts/discrepancies in the beam. We at ThruNite provide you the newest, and the best!

2- Lens - We use ultra clear lens based glass to ensure effective transmission with the addition of double side multilayer AR coatings to ensure maximum light transmission and efficiency. This results in a 98.5% transmittance rating.

3- Reflector - Our optimized OP and SMO reflectors allow you to choose between maximum throw, and a balanced beam of both. They are designed to automotive standards, a parabolic reflector. This design is often used in car lamps in the industry. You can't go wrong with either. Use the one perfect for your application.

4- Driver - We use high quality components in our driver to provide an excellent full featured User Interface, all the while provide roughly 90% efficiency.

5- Design - The light is built as a rugged, high quality tool to suit your needs for many years. It is very ergonomic -- The Catapult is designed with you in mind! We take all suggestions seriously, and have adapted the light to fit the consumer.

interesting :popcorn:
thread linkies:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=200969

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=199671

JamisonM

Enlightened
apparently, MC-Es can't throw without a donut hole due to the spacing between dies, whereas the sst-50 doesn't have a problem.
You know, I've been thinking about that. Not much, but I've been thinking. The reason why the P7 and MCE LEDs don't throw well or focus well unless they are used with a large or textured reflector is because they are 4 LED dies in one led package. Their dies are separate. This means you have 4 separate sources of light. The SST-50 and SST-90 are different in that they are one LED with one large die instead of separate individual dies. This means, I'm guessing, that they should focus better with a smaller none textured reflector and not have a hole in the hot spot.

[EDIT]
A thought occurred me, if this is true, I think this may mean that the P7 and MCEs will be largely replaced in maglite mods. I know I'd do it in a heartbeat. If it focuses better, throws better and runs just as good from one of Georges hipCC's, I don't see why not say their higher price.

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
MC-E or P7 leds have 4 small dies, but all four are uncentered. SST50 have one single larger die, but it is centered. This is why it has a better throw.

I hope they price the catapult under $100...

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I think they are asking $163. EDIT!: They have already dropped it to $149 since I last looked.

At that price I want an independant review first. Make me feel all warm and fuzzy about my purchase while I wait for shipping

Last edited:

jahxman

Enlightened
A thought occurred me, if this is true, I think this may mean that the P7 and MCEs will be largely replaced in maglite mods. I know I'd do it in a heartbeat. If it focuses better, throws better and runs just as good from one of Georges hipCC's, I don't see why not say their higher price.

I have a Mac Custom 1D M*g with the SST-50 driven at 3.2A, and it throws a nice fat hotspot very well. A very useful throw beam for distances from 50 meters to about 200 meters, but also very good at shorter distances too.

I would imagine with the size of the reflector on this Thrunite and the light's other attributes it probably would perform very well as a thrower. I would pick one up but I've bought so many lights recently I'm :broke::mecry:

GilmoreD

Newly Enlightened
I still can't find where to purchase this.
I also don't see what switch this has. Reverse Clicky?????
Is it weapons mountable and have a pressure switch? So many questions.
Dave

Burgess

Flashaholic
to csshih (Craig) --

Sounds like a VERY cool flashlight !

Glad you brought it to our attention.

:twothumbs

PS: thank you for the kind words regarding my 4,000 Posts.
:thanks:
_