Rechargeable led flashlights?

Dutchman

Newly Enlightened
I do have quit a lot of flashlights, ( stinger{terralux}, magcharger{terralux}, eagletac 2m, various lumapower models, zebra headlight).
Some of the later built lights are very good and i like them very much, however i have to take the batteries out for charging and thus cannot keep them on hand for instant use, fully charged (animal ambulance and rescue)
My question is: Is it to difficult to develope one or is there no market?

thx

kees

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
The easiest solution would be to buy extra batteries so you always have charged ones ready to use.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are after an LED flashlight that charges via a dock without removing the battery, a few lights do exist but are not cheap.

I own an Inova T4 - 175 lumen li-ion rechargeable LED flashlight. Snaps into a dock and comes with AC and 12V vehicle chargers. Highly recommended :)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Yeah there are a few... They are 18650 powered, and have a small plug port on the side. You just plug the wire into it when not in use. IIRC the cell used MUST be protected, so that way it does not over-charge the cell.

IIRC one model is even water submersible.

They aren't cheap though, and I question the overall durability and reliability of the light. You are paying more for the integral charging feature and less for the overall quality of the light... IMHO.

My suggestion would be to get a TK-12 (or similarly priced/featured 18650 light). A Yoho-122, some 18650 cells and just cycle the cells in and out of duty. 18650 lights of this caliber do not need a fully topped off cell to maintain maximum brightness, and I have found Lithium Ion 18650 cells to hold a charge decently well. I recently did a self discharge test of some old Ultrafire 16340 cells that measured 4.11 Volts after 3 months of inactivity.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have quit a lot of flashlights, ( stinger{terralux}, magcharger{terralux}, eagletac 2m, various lumapower models, zebra headlight).
Some of the later built lights are very good and i like them very much, however i have to take the batteries out for charging and thus cannot keep them on hand for instant use, fully charged (animal ambulance and rescue)
My question is: Is it to difficult to develope one or is there no market?

thx

kees
Get the new Inova T4, it is just excellent. BJ has great prices on Inova lights, check it out: http://www.batteryjunction.com/t4.html

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
It's not too hard, but I think that there are already a few good products in this niche. (As other have mentioned, Inova makes the T4, while Streamlight makes the rechargeable LED Strion.)

The problem with this type of light is that you're in trouble if you run out of juice in the field: you'd have to lug an entire recharger with you and wait 2 hours in the dark for the light to recharge. In contrast, for lights that take primaries (or even individual rechargeable batteries), carrying spares is a lot easier and more compact.

Hope this helps!

- FITP

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
An extended battery tube is sold for the new Inova T4 that allows you to store a fully charged spare in the rear of the tube - the whole assembly screws onto the bottom of the T4. Downside is it turns the thing into a baton.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not too hard, but I think that there are already a few good products in this niche. (As other have mentioned, Inova makes the T4, while Streamlight makes the rechargeable LED Strion.)

The problem with this type of light is that you're in trouble if you run out of juice in the field: you'd have to lug an entire recharger with you and wait 2 hours in the dark for the light to recharge. In contrast, for lights that take primaries (or even individual rechargeable batteries), carrying spares is a lot easier and more compact.

Hope this helps!

- FITP

That's false. You can carry a spare Li-Ion and pop it right in. There's no need to carry a recharger and wait...

Dutchman

Newly Enlightened
Thx to all who replied.
We use the stinger with terralux upgrade >220 lumen a lot. With fast chargers in the truck.

I am looking for a quality built type stinger with protected Li-on and with low high function and > 220 lumen.

Based on your reactions, we stick with the stinger

kees lovecpf

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx to all who replied.
We use the stinger with terralux upgrade >220 lumen a lot. With fast chargers in the truck.

I am looking for a quality built type stinger with protected Li-on and with low high function and > 220 lumen.

Based on your reactions, we stick with the stinger

kees lovecpf
The Inova is MUCH better built than the Stinger, no contest. And it has a low mode as well. Not to mention it is U.S Made and the warranty is stellar.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Pelican 7060 that I don't have to take the batteries out of to charge.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Posted by Zipplet---I own an Inova T4 - 175 lumen li-ion rechargeable LED flashlight. Snaps into a dock and comes with AC and 12V vehicle chargers. Highly recommended :)

Agreed. I also own a Inova T4-175 lumen and would whole heartedly recommend it for a person wanting/needing a light that charges in a cradle.

Only down side is the batteries are proprietary and expensive.

Bill

TANSTAF1

Newly Enlightened
Are there any good flashlights that have a crank to charge them? I know there are cheapy ones that are combined with radios and such and also lanterns styles, but I am seeking a high lumen, good quality one.

Latest posts