Idea for an ideal light - is this possible?

longboat

Newly Enlightened
OK, seems like everyone wants different levels of light output, as well as the option of flood or spot. Why not put all options into one flashlight?

Consider:
A flashlight with a LED/lens on either end, with a SPOT setup on one end and a FLOOD setup on the other end. Turn either end on/off with a pushbutton. We reserve rotating the bezel(s) for variable output - rotate full counterclockwise for max output (say, 200 lumens) and full clockwise for min output (say, 0.1 lumens) with infinite (exponential?) variability in between. Wherever you stop the bezel, that is your light output regardless of the on/off switch (e.g. - built-in physical memory). You could even utilize GITD markings to help determine expected output before you hit the on/off switch. Add to that a low-power "find-me" blinking red LED and you may have a nearly-perfect flashlight.

Power options? Anything that can be designed in. Personally, I'd prefer a 3 or 4 AA light stacked in cylindrical fashion (like short/long versions of TK40), and a version with the batteries lined up in parallel. Maybe another large version that could utilize 3-4 C/D cells for a more tactical light. And, if they could fit the electronics in, a AAA version for EDC pocket-carry. Oh yeah, and some 123/R123 versions to keep everyone happy...

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
This idea has been done. I have a light that's at least 10 years old. The best way to describe is take a MiniMag 2AA light. Increase the length so that it holds a total of 3 AA batteries. On one end leave the stock incan bulb that's retains the original focusing, on the other end put a LED bulb head. Put a switch in the tube, the switch works as follows:

1 press -> incandescent on
1 press -> incandescent off, led on
1 press -> incandescent on, led on
1 press -> everything off.

With the 3 AA batteries, I believe the LED is direct drive with just a current limit resistor.

It's a weird light, the AA batteries have a battery holder that slips into the tube. The holder is needed so that both the -ve & +ve voltages are routed to both ends. It also is able to tail-stand on either end. I used it for a couple of years, before I discovered CPF. But I haven't used it in years. I should gift it to someone who will use it. It's about as well constructed as a MiniMag 2AA but uses an odd-ball incandescent since it uses 3 AA batteries, but is the same form-factor as a 2AA MiniMag - but don't put one of those bulbs in it:poof::faint:

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
OK, seems like everyone wants different levels of light output, as well as the option of flood or spot. Why not put all options into one flashlight?

Consider:
A flashlight with a LED/lens on either end, with a SPOT setup on one end and a FLOOD setup on the other end. Turn either end on/off with a pushbutton. We reserve rotating the bezel(s) for variable output - rotate full counterclockwise for max output (say, 200 lumens) and full clockwise for min output (say, 0.1 lumens) with infinite (exponential?) variability in between. Wherever you stop the bezel, that is your light output regardless of the on/off switch (e.g. - built-in physical memory). You could even utilize GITD markings to help determine expected output before you hit the on/off switch. Add to that a low-power "find-me" blinking red LED and you may have a nearly-perfect flashlight.

Power options? Anything that can be designed in. Personally, I'd prefer a 3 or 4 AA light stacked in cylindrical fashion (like short/long versions of TK40), and a version with the batteries lined up in parallel. Maybe another large version that could utilize 3-4 C/D cells for a more tactical light. And, if they could fit the electronics in, a AAA version for EDC pocket-carry. Oh yeah, and some 123/R123 versions to keep everyone happy...

The problem is cost. Engineering such a flashlight would be (relatively) more complex than a single headed light, plus you'd need two separate reflective/emitter/lens/bezels. I like the idea of find me LEDs, and dunno why they aren't on flashlights more often (especially with today's LED efficiency), though.

While those costs might be justified, the thing is that flashlights that do both flood and spot do exist in the form of Maglite/E20, or aspherical styles. This is probably 90-95% as good as dual head, but without all the complexities involved.

At the end of the day, I'm sure there are those who are willing to spend the extra money looking for a flashlight just like it, but I suspect it would be a niche within a niche, and those would probably nt be mass produced. Modders can always custom one though.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't know how you could affordably get V+ at both ends of the light :thinking:.

It would probably be cheaper just buying two different lights. I have seen a Malkoff M60 paired wit a SF flip diffuser, it was very similar to an M60/M60F in the same light.

longboat

Newly Enlightened
OK, so maybe the two-headed flashlight was a bit dreamy, but what of the infinitely-variable bezel twist for varying output? Is it possible to have variable outputs this way? If not, how about a half-dozen or so outputs determined by a "clicky" bezel twist?

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the Fenix TA-21 for your rotating bezel output idea. It has 12 settings, from 4 to 225 lumens plus strobe, flash, and SOS.

AMkrew

Newly Enlightened
I found the thing you're talking about!

It's called a diffuser. :grin2:

Also, varying outputs in a different way, just to be different, is gimicky. I rather enjoy the simplicity of my d10... Hold the button for brighter, hold it for dimmer.

But I do agree that more edc lights need a good way of finding them in the dark.

Just the other night, I heard something, woke up, and proceeded to knock my flashlight off the table as I reached for it. This caused a stumbling around in the dark situation, where I wished I had a flashlight so I could find my flashlight...