Malkoff        
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

Default Re: Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

Don,
    email sent.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Last edited by greatscoot; 09-17-2013 at 04:55 AM.
    "Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal"

Don,
    The Sundrop is amazing. Thanks again for all your help with the LE.
    Scott
    "Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal"

Email sent for SunDrop XR-U Head Only - no light engine.
    Thank you.

PayPal sent. Thank you.
    Last edited by yoyoman; 09-27-2013 at 04:41 AM.

E-mail sent for one SunDrop XR-U.....

Thanks!

I received my XR-U with an XP-G2 yesterday. Truly a great light. Thank you, Don.

Does anyone know if the original Sundrop head (not XR-U) can host the 119v or XP-G2 LE's?

Are these heads still available now the the 083 is not?

To me, the shorter original head is a perfect aesthetic match for the AA Ti pak and as the AA LE drive current is very similar at 300mA on high to the previous 083 3v on high I would guess output to be similar.

Any knowledge or opinions welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    Does anyone know if the original Sundrop head (not XR-U) can host the 119v or XP-G2 LE's?

Are these heads still available now the the 083 is not?

To me, the shorter original head is a perfect aesthetic match for the AA Ti pak and as the AA LE drive current is very similar at 300mA on high to the previous 083 3v on high I would guess output to be similar.

Any knowledge or opinions welcome!
    I still have a few of these heads on hand but they only work with a very low profile LED like the Osram Dragons or the 083 Nichia. The 119 and XP-G2 are just a bit too tall and the top of the silicone dome on the LED will make contact with the SunDrop lens.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Hi Don, thanks for the clarification.

I'm just in the process of sending you an email.

Hi Don, thanks for the clarification.

I'm just in the process of sending you an email.
    I just responded but received a failure notice:

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<m*****ss@b*****rnet.com>:
    Remote host said: 522 IP REPUTATION BAD (please check for IP address listing on reputation services) [MAIL_FROM]

I put in asterisks to block actual e-mail address from view. I don't know if the stated reputation problem is on my end or yours but my response obviously isn't going to get to you?!?
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Thanks for letting me know. Not sure what's happened here? We've had a few emails back and forth over the past month. Suddenly, someone thinks we are no longer trustworthy

I'll try a different email address from me, see if that's the issue.

Email Sent.
    Last edited by Bass; 03-16-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: email sent from new email address

Hi Don, email sent. Posting here in case my email is the issue.

Hi Don, email sent. Posting here in case my email is the issue.
    E-mail received. Got hung up with friends on island and a whale watch/ snorkel trip. The whales are now leaving and we have been having rainy/ windy weather so trying to slip out as much as possible when conditions allow.

No problem at all! It is the weekend and with what you have in Maui I'm amazed you do any work at all

I just saw your photos of your AA pak sundrop. You should rename it the jawdrop!

Question for Don,
    Can the Sundrop head be converted to a mule.
    I dislike the pronounced circular profile of the beam and adore my mule.
    My lightsWTB: Surefire: New/Used/Rare. Currently looking for everything Crosshairs + D2. Interesting trades available.Everybody, just send your lights directly to James - he'll end up with them anyhow, lol. -Kestrel

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmtl514 View Post
    Question for Don,
    Can the Sundrop head be converted to a mule.
    I dislike the pronounced circular profile of the beam and adore my mule.
    If the plano-convex lens of the SunDrop were replaced with a flat window, you would loose the condensing of the light output but with the LED so deep in the head and consequently metal blocking the exit of the light from the LED, you would just choke down on the light exiting and have a pronounced circular perimeter around the beam. This would essentially be a loss in light and little change in the beam pattern. The short answer is no.

Thanks for the very prompt answer.
    My lightsWTB: Surefire: New/Used/Rare. Currently looking for everything Crosshairs + D2. Interesting trades available.Everybody, just send your lights directly to James - he'll end up with them anyhow, lol. -Kestrel

Hi don.

Are the 119v nichias being offered in the sundrop xr-u head?
    Ive read they were not and then they are, im confused.
    Last edited by hron61; 04-21-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hron61 View Post
    Hi don.

Are the 119v nichias being offered in the sundrop xr-u head?
    Ive read they were not and then they are, im confused.
    The SunDrop XR-U head can be host to any of the LED's I am presently working with and that includes the 119V. Please specify the 119V and also whether you would want the standard HiC drive level of 500 mA or the higher output of 660 mA which the 119V can handle.

Hi Don,

In post #187 you mentioned that Osram Dragon can be used with the original Sundrop. How would I go about this?.

Can this LED be used with your LE parts?. Intended host would be an E1E or one of your 1xAA packs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    Hi Don,

In post #187 you mentioned that Osram Dragon can be used with the original Sundrop. How would I go about this?.

Can this LED be used with your LE parts?. Intended host would be an E1E or one of your 1xAA packs.

Thanks
    The dragons with the silicone dome lens on top will not work but the dragons that are flat will. I have done some royal blue, red and IR lights, custom for some people. Digi-Key sells the Osram Dragons. I think I have some MCPCB's left so I could custom mount a LED. The red and IR have such low Vf that they don't work with the latest version of the 3V (3S) converter but because the Vf is so low, I have found the 6V converter can work with them on a 3V platform. I haven't tried a AA driver with any of the dragons but suspect they would work.

Hi Don!

do you still make a SunDrop head for a Surefire E1 series body? like this one?

Be a Light In the Universe

I believe all the SunDrop heads are E series compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I believe all the SunDrop heads are E series compatible.
    Does Don have a price list just for the head somewhere?
    Be a Light In the Universe

The SunDrop head with light engine ranges from $270 - $280 depending on LED and converter choices. A SunDrop head without Light Engine is $145. Shipping is extra.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    The 119 is so much better in terms of efficacy and luminous output that I have phased out the 083B.
    In a post elsewhere, you opined that the 083B was unrivaled as to CRI while simultaneously being available at a higher color temperature than the x19 LEDs. I think you also estimated in another post that 60 lumens was the maximum output of an 083B. For an EDC light, that output level seems sufficient for most purposes, while the color temperature and extremely high CRI seem very, very appealing. So is the 083B simply unavailable anymore? Is it the need to limit the endless permutations or requests you receive? Or, if it is available (at a price), what LEs would the 083B compatible with, and how hard can it be driven?

Quote Originally Posted by shira View Post
    In a post elsewhere, you opined that the 083B was unrivaled as to CRI while simultaneously being available at a higher color temperature than the x19 LEDs. I think you also estimated in another post that 60 lumens was the maximum output of an 083B. For an EDC light, that output level seems sufficient for most purposes, while the color temperature and extremely high CRI seem very, very appealing. So is the 083B simply unavailable anymore? Is it the need to limit the endless permutations or requests you receive? Or, if it is available (at a price), what LEs would the 083B compatible with, and how hard can it be driven?
    I ran out of the 083B's I had and could not get more of the same bin. At this point I don't know what the status is on 083B availability or binning. I can't consider adding more to what I currently offer, sorry. I doubt I could get 083B's that would have benefit over the 119's but that is a guess at this point.

Enlightened

Is it possible to order the Sundrop XR-U with a single AA Pak? I saw the option for the 2 AA pak; I was interested in a standard 3S setup with a single AA pak to run 1450 IMRs in. I like the slightly slimmer and longer bodies of 1450 lights, plus I use rechargeable batteries almost exclusively and the extra capacity of a 1450 over RCR123 would be a nice bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Leithan View Post
    Is it possible to order the Sundrop XR-U with a single AA Pak? I saw the option for the 2 AA pak; I was interested in a standard 3S setup with a single AA pak to run 1450 IMRs in. I like the slightly slimmer and longer bodies of 1450 lights, plus I use rechargeable batteries almost exclusively and the extra capacity of a 1450 over RCR123 would be a nice bonus.
    Yes, You can get a SunDrop on single AA pak with 3S 3V LE. I would just need to know what LED you want. This is the combo I have been carrying for most of this year. I wear it clipped to the waistband of my shorts and the smaller diameter seems to help me avoid bumping things with it and the form factor in use is nice, IMHO.

Enlightened

Thank you Sir! I appreciate the help. I was thinking XM-L for the LED, if I understand it right, it's the brightest option and being bigger then the other two options it should have a bit more flood? Just won't have as high CRI?
    Last edited by Leithan; 09-24-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Hi guys,

I'm interested in getting a Sundrop XR-U with the Nichia 119, 3S with 660ma max (is there a noticeable difference over 500ma?), cr123a clicky pack.
    This would be my first McGizmo, thought about the Haiku and Mule (all very different lights) also but think I'd settle on the Sundrop.

Cheers,

F89
    Last edited by F89; 10-06-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast