Wuben        
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

Default Re: Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

Last edited by hron61; 05-12-2015 at 12:00 AM.

An mc-e?
    A very nice 4500k neutral?
    2 pac?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by hron61 View Post
    2 pac?
    Is dead.
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyTaco View Post
    Is dead.
    'That' is very funny.

eala

I would love an MCE for my XRU. I have one of DatiLEDS XPG2's and it is fantastic.
    Last edited by greatscoot; 05-17-2015 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo
    "Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal"

Quote Originally Posted by flashlight nut View Post
    I got the Haiku with the XP-G2 and the Sundrop with the 119v. I never had a light without a reflector before. The beam is so smooth and pleasant. It's very nice for close up work. Oddly enough the color rendering for both are very similar even though the 119v is HCRI and the XP-G2 is not. I took some photos to show this. I used the Surefire F04 filter on the HDS and Haiku to soften the hotspot.

HDS LE 250 (cool white) on medium with F04 Filter
    [IMG][/IMG]

Haiku XP-G2 on medium with F04 Filter
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sundrop HCRI 119v on medium
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Of these three photos, for my eyes, the 119V is much much better.

Can anyone tell me the size of the O rings used in the Sundrop XR-U? There's a thread for McGizmo o rings but it just has a question mark for the Sundrop. Just placing an order for spares.

Quote Originally Posted by debragail View Post
    Can anyone tell me the size of the O rings used in the Sundrop XR-U? There's a thread for McGizmo o rings but it just has a question mark for the Sundrop. Just placing an order for spares.
    The head to battery pak O-ring is a #017 like the other lights. The lens seal O-ring is a 13 x 1 mm and the lens retaining O-ring is a #015
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Flashaholic*

Hello CPF,

I saw the garden beam shot comparisons and had the impression that the U-head delivered more of that brown corona than the original head. Is that so?

I have a 083 U version and use it with an f04 diffuser which --totally-- eliminates that brown circular artifact and makes the beam even wider, but if the original head has much less of the corona I would probably go for it.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    Hello CPF,

I saw the garden beam shot comparisons and had the impression that the U-head delivered more of that brown corona than the original head. Is that so?

I have a 083 U version and use it with an f04 diffuser which --totally-- eliminates that brown circular artifact and makes the beam even wider, but if the original head has much less of the corona I would probably go for it.

thanks!
    The original head has the lens too close to the LED for any of the popular LED's now being used that have any type of silicone dome on them; it's a clearance issue.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Flashaholic*

Dear Don, thanks much for your response.

Yes, I am aware of that clearance issue and I am considering the original non-U head specifically for the nichia 083 based LE that I have now in an XR-U head. I like this 083 LED very much and I just wonder if a non-U head would provide a more artifact free wide beam for this particular LED.

The original SD setup is amazing.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    The original SD setup is amazing.
    Thanks for your input! Do you happen to have some white wall beamshots of the original sundrop?

No I personally have an XR-U with a datiLED Nichia 219. But a friend has the original and I was very impressed with both the tint of the 083B and the smoothness of the beam. The XR-U has some bit of rings to it in comparison.

Dear Don, thanks much for your response.

Yes, I am aware of that clearance issue and I am considering the original non-U head specifically for the nichia 083 based LE that I have now in an XR-U head. I like this 083 LED very much and I just wonder if a non-U head would provide a more artifact free wide beam for this particular LED.
    My bad for not picking up on what you have. The original SD head will have less of an artifact than the U head as well as a bit greater angle of coverage as I recall. Have you considered getting an empty Mule head as alternate host for the 083 LE?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    ... The original SD head will have less of an artifact than the U head as well as a bit greater angle of coverage as I recall. Have you considered getting an empty Mule head as alternate host for the 083 LE?
    I am seriously considering an empty mule head too, but not for a neutral white LED. I have tried a few LEDs and my best candidate for a mule type beam is 3000K XPL.

Also I think that a SD is one of a very few truly "landmark" lights, so I enjoy owning mine very much anyway, and have no intention to replace it by anything else. But if there is a chance to have an even more perfect beam, I'd go for it.

Hey Don!

2 quick questions

1.) Do you still make the Sundrop XR-U with a Nichia 083? From what I've read that one seems pretty legendary as far as "sun light esque" quality

1b.) If not is the 119 the highest CRI you offer/best comparable?

if so...

2.) Any guestimate on when I'll be able to order one w/the whole 3S issue going on as I want a Sundrop XR-U with just a cr-123 battery.

Thanks!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by EDCbrah View Post
    Hey Don!

2 quick questions

1.) Do you still make the Sundrop XR-U with a Nichia 083? From what I've read that one seems pretty legendary as far as "sun light esque" quality

1b.) If not is the 119 the highest CRI you offer/best comparable?

if so...

2.) Any guestimate on when I'll be able to order one w/the whole 3S issue going on as I want a Sundrop XR-U with just a cr-123 battery.

Thanks!
    Nichia 083 has not been available for awhile now and yes the 119V is Don's highest CRI offering.
    Travis

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyTaco View Post
    Nichia 083 has not been available for awhile now and yes the 119V is Don's highest CRI offering.
    Thanks! I've been dead set on highest CRI now I'm just flip flopping between a mule 119V or a sundrop xru 119/119v
    Basically use it to take uber rookie cell phone EDC pics and illuminate close up stuff I'm messing with (watches, knives, beer cooler after a hockey game in the parking lot, etc).

Guess none of it matters until the 3S issue is deemed solved/resolved

Flashaholic*

Don, so do you have an original Sundrop head for sale w/o the light engine?

Don, so do you have an original Sundrop head for sale w/o the light engine?
    Yes, $145 plus postage.

How much would the battery pack. (1 CR123) cost? I want to attach it to my Malkoff head. If you have any blemished/scratched/dented items, I don't mind- just curious about the cheapest price.
    "Flashlights are the most amazing tool in the world. It's as if you have the power to harness the power of the sun! Well... Maybe not the sun, but still-Flashlights are pretty cool! Especially the ones with the highest lumens and most lux..."LOL

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern32 View Post
    How much would the battery pack. (1 CR123) cost? I want to attach it to my Malkoff head. If you have any blemished/scratched/dented items, I don't mind- just curious about the cheapest price.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-Ordering-Info
    Travis

My McGizmo hat trick will be completed on Wednesday afternoon: Sundrop XR-U with new Hive LE & XM-L2 emitter. Joins my Haiku (XP-G2), and Mule (119).

Let there be light.

Very cool. Definitely a threesome setup that is easy to justify. They all have different applications that compliment each other without overlapping too much. So it is easy to justify the expense once you start really using them. I added a Makai 4th and just put a Dati LED LE in it with a 5000K XP-L Hi Output at around 1200mA and it really has a great throw.
    I also was able to add a 2 x 123 with another Haiku with the XM-L reflector and a 6V LE so I can pretty much lego all of it. I also have one or more of each pak.

My base three are the same as your except I have an 083B Nichia in my XR-U.

I will also say that I put the 1 x aa pak on the Haiku XP-G and from a form factor I do not think there is a better universal flashlight made, at least in titanium, and maybe not in any make.

Keep on trucking!
    Godbless

Delete
    Godbless

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Quote Originally Posted by Dknight16 View Post
    My McGizmo hat trick will be completed on Wednesday afternoon: Sundrop XR-U with new Hive LE & XM-L2 emitter. Joins my Haiku (XP-G2), and Mule (119).

Let there be light.
    I am going for that setup except Haiku with XPG R5. Love the cool XPG R5's. But, I can switch it out in a minute as we all know!
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Default Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

Email sent Don. Thanks.

Edit: If it's not to late can u please close the jumper on the HIVE. Thanks!

Edit 2: Payment sent, thank you.
    Last edited by PoliceScannerMan; 12-18-2015 at 06:10 PM.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Rec'd my SunDrop today. Mahalos Don.

Quote Originally Posted by puinsai View Post
    Rec'd my SunDrop today. Mahalos Don.
    Nice set up,but what is the purple thingy?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast