Madmaxine (Madmax on 1xAA) Runtime/Output Results

Dave Wright

Enlightened
A couple days ago, in another thread, I offered to post runtime and output results for a Madmax run on 1xAA. IMO this is a great light configuration. All it needs is an appropriately cut down optic to be my dream EDC. I don't have the technology to do that, so until then I'll just carry the Minimag 2xAA that I crudely cut down to be 1xAA. I call it "Madmaxine".

A few notes first. I'm not well equipped, meter-wise. I used the Gossen Pilot from my Leica D4 bag. My method was to slide the incident light curtain in front of the sensor and place the flashlight tight to the curtain. This captured most of the beam, essentially yielding a comparison of total lumen output (as opposed to the lux hotspot). The formula I used to translate the EV readings to lumens hasn't been independently verified. It's a somewhat educated guess.

Since I had the meter and formula anyway, you might be interested in the lumen results I got for some popular lights. The CMGs and Arc were tested with fresh alkaline cells. The dat2zip sandwiches were tested in a Minimag with stock tailcap and 2000 mAH Maha NiMH cells.

CMG Infinity: 2
CMG Infinity Ultra: 5
Arc AAA regular: 5
Badboy 400: 29
Madmax: 32
Badboy 400 w/ Q3L: 35
Madmax+ w/ Q3: 40

I then switched the Madmax+ w/ Q3 to my crude 1xAA body and ran the test. Here's how the light did. The format is minutes into the test followed by lumen output at that point.

0: 25
5: 23
10: 23
15 through 60: 20
65 through 90: 19
90 through 120: output fell steadily from 19 to 10 lumens
120 through 180: output fell steadily from 10 to 5 lumens
Test Abandoned

Note: In addition to the lumen figures, the light clearly "ran out of steam" at the 90 minute point. Up to then it was quite warm.

CONCLUSION: The Madmax sandwich can run effectively in the 1xAA configuration, 20 lumens for 90 minutes, which is IMO perfect for EDC use. Anyone care to answer the call? I see fame and fortune for the first company to put together a light with this output/runtime profile and a NX05 beam.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Larry...you're the man to figure it out if anyone can. I see an Inova X1 with your cutdown optic instead of the tight collimating lens, switch out the 5mm LED for an LS, and run it through an efficient 300 mA circuit. Nice tailswitch too. I bet Inova could make the formula work - enough volume through their marketing & distribution channels to get unit retail price down around $40. Maybe I should write them an e-mail. Sure they've been poked that way plenty of times though.

Take Care.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Peter had such an animal with his ARC LS rev 1 circuit running off 1AA cell (or A cell with the older bored out AA packs) - this is still my favoured ARC LS EDC config and I think its a shame the newer circuit didn´t support the 1 cell config anymore - trade-offs everywhere ..

Happy to have 2 old rev1 ARCs - one with HD Q3K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would love to see the old rev1 ARC LS tested in the same setup on 1 AA cell too - while it was a bit dimmer than on 2 cells or 1 123 it might not bee too far off the data provided here - and it is running for a loooong time too.

Klaus

jkthomson

Newly Enlightened
I have two madmaxes, and I've always thought they were just perfect, except slightly too big. I was watching the firefly thread, that seems fit the bill perfectly, except it uses a lithium instead of AA nimh.

Dave, do you have an unmodifed mag AA to test against those numbers? if you have a free moment, that is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Dave Wright said:
...I see an Inova X1 with your cutdown optic instead of the tight collimating lens, switch out the 5mm LED for an LS, and run it through an efficient 300 mA circuit. Nice tailswitch too...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope someone eventually makes such a light, as I don't care for Lithiums. Maybe we'll see a firefly AA - I hope.