E1L, L1 size?

Gatsby

Enlightened
I was in Bass Pro last night and saw and E1E for the first time up close and was surprised at how compact it was. I've owned an E2e and liked the size and output but haven't handled one in some time, and both it and the E1 looked smaller than I expected...

I've been pondering a new light and was thinking about trying a Surefire LED - this will be for pocket carry so the L2 is out of the question. I would like multi modes (I have a 120P and a LF3XT and really like having multiple levels) so it appears that the E1L and the L1 are the prime candidates (the E1B starts in high and I much prefer starting in low).

Does anyone have a comparison of the sizes of the E1L, L1 and perhaps the Novatac 120P for comparison? I get the sense that the E1L is longer but narrower than the 120P and the L1 is, well, substantial for a one cell light much like the L2 is for a 2 cell light.

Thanks!

zven

Enlightened
This thread has a bunch of pictures of both the L1 and E1L, as well as other SureFire lights. I can't recall ever personally seeing pictures of an L1 or E1L with a Novatac 120P, but they may be out there somewhere.

As for the size of the L1 - it is definitely on the large side for 1xCR123 lights, but I wouldn't say it's excessive. Rather, I actually find it generally more comfortable than most 1xCR123 lights, as it fits my hand with just the right amount of space for all four fingers, for my thumb to be perfectly positioned at the tailcap (i.e., neither curled too far in, nor stretching too far out), and for the optic not to be covered by the end of my palm when gripping hard. So, not terribly compact for its class, but in my opinion it's "just right".

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's another direct comparison for you but I don't have a Novatac:

1zq3cp5.jpg

:wave:

Bort

Newly Enlightened
Here's a shot of the L1, and Novatac:

img1137mediumt.jpg

I concur with Zven. The L1 fits the hand nicely, but is not the smallest cr123 light out there. It is still a great light for pocket carry also.

Last edited:

Gatsby

Enlightened
Fantastic - thanks for the links and pictures. Selfbuilt's 123 roundup has an E1B and Novatac together and the E1B is the same size as the E1L it appears so I think I can see the differences.

It looks like the L1 Cree is a good bit smaller than prior generations and only marginally larger than the E1... I might be leaning that direction due to the UI being slightly preferable.

Are the L series lights compatible with each other - i.e. I know the E and C series lights have lots of compatibility options, I'm not sure about the L lights...

zven

Enlightened
Are the L series lights compatible with each other - i.e. I know the E and C series lights have lots of compatibility options, I'm not sure about the L lights...

Unfortunately the L1 does not have the same range of compatibility that the E- and C-series lights do. To my knowledge, all the parts of the L1 should be compatible with previous generations of the L1, but beyond that I wouldn't expect much. There are a few things you can swap with a limited number of models, but I wouldn't get an L1 if you're hoping to lego something together with other lights.

That said, the L1's bezel diameter is the same as the E-series, so it uses the same filters and diffusers as the E1L, E1B, etc. Whether you go with the L1 or E1L, I'd recommend an F04 diffuser - very handy for those times when you need a bit more flood.

NE450No2

Enlightened
Gatsby

Here are some random thoughts about the single 123 SureFires.

I own the E1e, and the L1, as well as, for comparison an A2 Aviator.

I carry the E1e ALL the time, it is always in my pocket.

When I leave the house I also EDC the A2. No matter what else I am doing I have those 2 with me.

My L1 is Blue Led, so it is not really good for an EDC, but I did carry it when I went hunting, but the Blue Led has not worked out for a blood tracker so I am ging to get a white LED for it.

So, baised it the fact I have those, 3 I offer the following in regards to An EDC.

The E1e is pure Nirvana for an EDC. It is a very handy size and with the "brighter" LF HO E1A bulb, I like it even more.

In those times where I do not even want this mich light I just place my pinky finger in front of the reflector to lessen the "brightness.

But you said you want an LED.

So here is where the difference in the E1L and the L1 basically is.

The L1 is a little longer.

The E1L on low is 3 Lumens. That is perfect for use in very low light in a room, a tent, or on a known trail.

The L1 low is 10 lumens, which is a little brighter, and would better for those tasks that need a little more light.

The E1L on high is 45 Lumens for 4 hours. That is enough "light" for personal general purpose use, and it lasts 4 hours.

The L1 on high is 65 Lumens, for 1.5 hours. That is too much light for most "personal" uses up close, but great for "general flashing and looking around", if I am making myself clear.

I have thought about getting an E1L for a camping/hunting/field EDC, because of its extended run time vs the E1e, but actually when in the field I could just as easily carry the E2L, and get mote time on 3 lumens and more and brighter time on high....

It is a quandry...:shrug:

For the performance, and the size, I just do not see the L1, as an EDC. The E1e is MUCH smaller, and rather than the L1, I would just as soon EDC an A2, A2L, of an E2L.

For an EDC, Everything considered, if SIZE is most imortant, the E1e is the best choice...

If RUNTIME is most important the E2l would be my pick....

For QUALITY OF LIGHT, with a GREAT low, and the color rendition and depth perception of an Incandescent I would [and have] picked the A2 Aviator, with white LED.

I do not mind, and I prefer to carry 2 lights for EDC.

But for what you have stated, I lean toward recommending the E1L for your EDC, since you specified LED.

I think the E1L would be a better "everyday user" than the L1.

Also the fact that I now live in the country I use flashlights every night... And surpisingly I use my E1e every DAY, looking for stuff in the kitchen closet, freezer, garage etc.

NE450No2

Enlightened
Also let me add, that IF I could only have ONE handheld flashlight for EDC and General Personal use it would be the A2 Aviator, White LED.

The low is perfect when you need a low, and the REGULATED 50 Lumens is not too bright for general purpose personal use, and bright enough for "flashing and looking around".

Really and truely IF I need more light than the A2 Aviator, I could go STRAIGHT to the SureFire M6.

A Person could probably save a BUNCH of money if he/she would just get an E1e, an A2, and a M6, some spare bulbs and a BUNCH of 123 batteries.:cool:

Gatsby

Enlightened
Thanks for all the input everyone! Very helpful and informative ... I'm now leaning toward the E1L and the option of the E1e head ... The L1 is a nice looking light but as the Novatac is a large light to me I'm not sure I would carry the L1 on a daily basis...