Inova X1 V4

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
At Target the other day I decided to look at the Inova X1's on the rack. It caught my eye as it had an orange peel and a different looking emitter than the 2.0 watt light had before. Here is a pic showing the four variants I have to date.
Inova_X1_fronts.jpg

It is brighter than the previous variation. Both are good in slightly different applications. It is heresy to say but brightest isn't always the best fit for a situation. (don't hate on me.... :poke:)

The card it was packed with was the old 2.0 watt model card. Haven't seen an updated one yet.

Beam shots to follow.

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
See. Beam Shots. Sort of.

Inova_V1_beam.jpg

Inova_V2_beam.jpg

Inova_V3_beam.jpg

Inova_V4_beam.jpg

Of the four variants, I like the last two types on equal footing. V2 would be good if I got around to putting in a new LED I think.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the packaging for this new version, I don't want to purchase the same thing twice?

chiphead

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard the new packaging will have the output listed in lumens instead of watts. There is some crossover currently with this and the X2 with the old printing on the card.

Best bet for now in either case is to look down the lens end of the light. Fortunately this is easy to do with this model. Or have a good rapport with the online vendor of your choice.

Having read the thread on the new X2 I decided to look at the emitter or I would have missed it. The other Target nearby has one old V3 with the plain, non Orange Peel reflector.

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your little review! I always had a love/hate thing for the v1 myself.. and back in the day it could throw pretty good in the dark...but I did not like no spill.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Wow. I love the V4 X1. This thing sure has a tight spot, they did a ridiculously good job on the reflector geometry! What's more, it seems to have a flat regulated circuit now. I tested out a brand new alkaline and got a reading of around 500 mA. I then grabbed a random half-discharged NiMH outta my room and got a reading of 990 mA. Forgot to read the voltage off of it, though, dangit. MOST IMPRESSIVE, INOVA!!! Only 1AA light w/ tactical press / twist type switch, I think? From the US even. This REALLY makes me want to try out the X2... :)

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought one of the new versions last Sunday. I really like it. It has a lot more throw than the previous version, making it more useful outdoors, in my opinion. Using the (very unscientific) ceiling bounce test, it's clearly brighter overall, with the spill being just a bit dimmer than version 3. It's the same brightness as my Multi-Mode MiniMag on high, with slightly weaker than new batteries. The tint of the spot is slightly cool blue, but not overly so. Oddly, the spill has a slightly green tint. I don't recall using a light where the tint of the spill was different from the spot before. It's not really noticable unless comparing it with another light.

I'm not sure what the runtime will be, or if there's a moon mode. I hope when the battery gets weak, it just dims and doesn't suddenly just turn off. There's another thread about this new light, maybe somone performed a runtime test.

Overall, I think it's an improvement over the third version. Now I can't wait for version 5!

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
At Target the other day I decided to look at the Inova X1's on the rack. It caught my eye as it had an orange peel and a different looking emitter than the 2.0 watt light had before.

I am also always checking the X1 offering's at my local Target stores.

I was somewhat surprised today at a Target I do not get to visit often, there was only one X1 on the peg, and it was the coveted (by some, for it's long run time) older Version 2! Where did that come from?

I am hoping the runtime on this new version 4 is somewhere in between the (great runtime) version 2, and the (somewhat disappointing runtime) version 3.

zven

Enlightened
So from those amp readings, am I understanding correctly that the X1 V4 should have a 2-3 hour regulated runtime (give or take, depending on specific batteries used)?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any additional information on the Inova X1 version 4 runtime?

How does its throw and spill compare with other lights, e.g., the Streamlight Microstream? Photo Proton Pro? An older 1 watt Luxeon light like the Dorcy 1xCR123A?

Thanks.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new packaging for the version 4 X1 states "25 lumens" on the front. I made the following current consumption measurements using a fresh alkaline battery:

249 mA - version 1 X1
212 mA - version 2 X1
670 mA - version 3 X1 (the "2 watt" version)
530 mA - version 4 X1 (the "25 lumen" version)

During a ceiling bounce test and powering the lights with Energizer lithium batteries, the version 4 Inova X1 beat a Streamlight Microstream, was roughly equivalent to a LED Lenser David 15, but not as bright as a Leatherman Serac S2 on the 35 lumen (high) setting.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Performed a ceiling bounce test between the 2009 Inova X1 version 4 and the Inova XO2, which is a TIROS light using 2xCR123A batteries.

There was no discernible difference in overall output between the two lights.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fry's store in Indianapolis has dozens and dozens of the version 2 5mm led lights.

And Target had some of the remainder of the River Rock lights on clearance. Quantities limited and vary from store to store. Probably the clearance too. Shows what I know. :shrug: