Neutral Quark Tactical (1AA)! ** New update + 123a^2 Body

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I caved in and ordered a Quark after months of saying I didn't need any more AA lights! :p :eek:

There were two things that pushed me over the edge. First, in using (and loaning out) my Fenix L1D at work, it was kind of a pain to have to keep cycling through the modes each time I turned the thing on. The "half-press" thing works fine most times, but not when you're in a hurry or under stress. A couple of times I either missed the mode I wanted or pushed too hard and clicked the light all the way off. It was a bit annoying because I'm one of those guys who wants a tool to just work and do it's job with a minimum of fuss, so I can focus on the task at hand and not the tool. Result: Quark Tactical interface to the rescue! :D

The second thing was when I was out for a run at night, using my TK11 one night, and a SureFire G2 w/R2 drop in another night. In both cases (but especially with the G2 due to the floodier nature) I was disliking the cool white of those lights. In humid air, the cool white beams caused a hazy look that gave you that "dreamscape" feeling where everything around you is fuzzy and indistinct. I've used my TK20 in a misty rain before, and it seemed to make things clearer. So, I thought gee it'd be nice to have another light with a neutral emitter. Result: Neutral Quark to the rescue! :D

So, because there were those two features lacking in my other lights (well, there is the TK20, but it's a bit too large in some cases), I ordered up a neutral Quark Tactical AA. Which leads to the question in the title....

I figured all the neutral Quarks would be sold out by now, but there were still tactical models available even now. Did the tactical models not really catch on? Or did people going for the tactical models also want max brightness, and order the R2 cool white versions?

To me the tactical model seems the best of all worlds, because you still have all the modes available, but the interface lets you use just two at a time so the others don't get in the way unless you program them. So, in my case that means I'll program a medium/max configuration, which is what I use most of the time... BUT, if I find myself in a situation needing extended run time (long power outage, etc.), I can reprogram and select the low or moon mode.

Seems like a win-win to me, but like I said maybe the tacticals didn't catch on too well...

Last edited:

copperfox

Enlightened
Re: Neutral Quark Tactical (1AA)! (Not as popular?)

Well the only Quark I have is a Tactical 1AA, neutral tint and I love it.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the neutral AA Quark and think it is fantastic. It satisfies both the flashaholic who can remember how to reprogram it if needed, and the nonflashaholic with simplicity. I think it is a great design and love the neutral tint. I will not buy cool white lights anymore, so I'm glad 4sevens made this with the neutral option for people like me. I wouldn't have bought any Quark light, let alone 2, without the neutral tint.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast

I currently have the AA-2 neut. tact. for my work light and it's great, even though it will be rotated out Mon. for my Fenix pd-30. I love the lil light but its a tad bit to long ( I keep it clipped to my side pants pocket by my thigh).

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well the only Quark I have is a Tactical 1AA, neutral tint and I love it.
Mee too, except I bought the CR123 clipless body with it and use that body more often since it is smaller and more pocketable in nice clothes. When I do use the AA body, I usually use a 14500 in it.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didn't buy a Quark when they first came out. When the Neutral models came out I got two, the 123 Tactical and 123-2 Tactical. I think they hit the nail on the head for me with this UI, it's great.

I ordered two titanium's, the 123 Tactical and the 123-2 Tactical. :)

Vesper

Enlightened

Thanks for the review Stress Test - very timely. Like this site can do, I was sucked in for hours last night trying to decide on a AA light. I came down to the Neutral Quark Tactical AA or the NiteCore SmartPD D10. Choices, choices. Since you have several AA's, what is your favorite now?

R@ndom

Enlightened

The tactical interface rules! I can just have sos and beacon without the other useless modes. :nana:.

Burgess

Flashaholic

:)

I've always wondered why flashlights have an SOS mode,

but never have a FERNANDO mode, or a WATERLOO mode.

:whistle:
_

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

_

LOL, I don't get it:ohgeez:

I love my AA neutac, I don't know and don't care why it's not one of the more popular models.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review Stress Test - very timely. Like this site can do, I was sucked in for hours last night trying to decide on a AA light. I came down to the Neutral Quark Tactical AA or the NiteCore SmartPD D10. Choices, choices. Since you have several AA's, what is your favorite now?

Err, well I guess that technically it's not a review yet since I haven't gotten the Quark yet -- ordered Saturday, so hopefully it'll be here by Wednesday.

As far as favorite AA light, I like the TK20 best due to the good switch, better threads, and simplicity versus the other Fenix L1D and L2Ds. However it's a bit large to carry around all day, and has no real low mode like the others, so I usually edc the L1D or L2D instead for that reason. However, for fun or hobby use, I enjoy using the TK20 best.

That was one reason I went for this model Quark, because it's like a miniature TK20, which can still give me access to a loooong lasting low mode if I need it.

JBorneu

Enlightened

Well, I ordered a neutral white Quark 1AA tactical and a 2AA body saturday. I really like the user interface (believe it or not, I LOVE to have an SOS mode on my lights, but I don't want to cycle trough it) and I prefer warm tints.

Last week I suddenly realised I really need another 1AA light. Yes, need. I won't buy any light I don't need. Luckily I can convince myself about every three months I truely need a new light. I've been reading reviews about the quarks for three days, and when I saw the neutral tactical quarks were still in stock I bought one. I also don't get how these are not sold out yet, it seems like the perfect EDC light in my eyes.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened

I guess I'm too old to get that SOS joke...

I got the QuarkAA2 neutral, regular UI last month. Definitely like it, but I would rather have both the SOS and the flash beacon together on the mode where you twist the head, and cycle through the brightness with the button -- it's the brightness modes I use. It takes a little learning, but it's actually quite fast to go to virtually the mode I want (hey -- I learned to double click a mouse, and I can learn to quadruple click a flashlight). I have no use for the flashing modes anyway.

I also got a D10 (R2 version, which I love the tint of) but almost never use it except on moon or max -- it takes too long to fool around with the ramping. That raccoon is not sitting there waiting for me to play with my flashlight -- and surely not while I re-program the thing. If the level I want isn't there when I need it then I might as well not have it.

What I WANT is a slide switch on the side, something like the old boat switches on the Everyready D lights, with brightness controlled by how far you push it up, like a sliding volume control -- but no one makes one. It's convenient to hold and carry, and could also be mounted to my air rifle, or just hand held, for night shooting: using an end button, mounted or not, while holding a rifle doesn't work out well at all: that's not the position my hand and thumb is in.

Even if I have a tactical (end button) light in my pocket I have to turn it around to turn it on when I grab it. The old switch-on-the-side is more convenient.

liquidsix

Enlightened

_

Uuuhh, is there an ABBA song called SOS (I'm too young to know this)?

THe Ti quarks I'd say definitely overshadowed the neutral quarks. While I love the Tactical UI, I'm definitely going to hold out for a higher flux bin neutral model. And not just Quarks either, torches in general. I won't get anything new now unless it has a next-gen emitter (and preferrably neutral).

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened

_

:laughing:

If someone made a light with a DANCING QUEEN mode, I think I would have to buy it!

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uuuhh, is there an ABBA song called SOS (I'm too young to know this)?

THe Ti quarks I'd say definitely overshadowed the neutral quarks. While I love the Tactical UI, I'm definitely going to hold out for a higher flux bin neutral model. And not just Quarks either, torches in general. I won't get anything new now unless it has a next-gen emitter (and preferrably neutral).

The song SOS is what that youtube link was.

I do agree with pretty much only getting neutral lights here on in (low power lights like the E01 would be my only exception), but you might be holding out for a while waiting for a neutral XP-G.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

To me the tactical model seems the best of all worlds, because you still have all the modes available, but the interface lets you use just two at a time so the others don't get in the way unless you program them. So, in my case that means I'll program a medium/max configuration, which is what I use most of the time... BUT, if I find myself in a situation needing extended run time (long power outage, etc.), I can reprogram and select the low or moon mode.

Seems like a win-win to me, but like I said maybe the tacticals didn't catch on too well...

+1. I like my tactical a lot. I ended up picking up a 2AA tube for it. Great light, looking forward to my Ti one.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

The tactical interface rules! I can just have sos and beacon without the other useless modes. :nana:.
:crackup:

i think the ui is pretty much perfect. i reprogram almost daily and it's easy. they can shorten the programming window though. 10sec is much too long(consumer friendly i guess)