Does the future of flashlights seem boring?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think about it. What would be the perfect flashlight? One day we will get there.

At that point we will collectively ask each other: "Now what?"

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think about it. What would be the perfect flashlight? One day we will get there.

Perhaps... If you are looking for perfection. There are already lots of "perfect" lights for every use or flashlight user. I consider the A2 Aviator, U2 Ultra, the LX2, Muyshondt lights and many McGizmo's and other custom-made lights to be perfect for their intended use/purposes. But I personally am looking for fun and variety, so to me the future is not boring at all.

cenz

Enlightened
The next five years:

The new EDC light has AF(auto-focus) sensor to control the flood and throw..

Multi-mode bin (Warm to Cool) full-spectrum emiter..

....just my imagination(or joke?).

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
By multimode bin I think cenz meant from one end of the light spectrum to the other... now that would be really cool combined with a user variable output (similar to the IBS UI) :thumbsup:

Higher density battery technology is on the wish list too! :D

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hang on.. I'm speaking long term future. Something way beyond what y'all are speaking.

Yes, the near future is still interesting. The not so future is also still going to be pretty good.

I'm speaking long term. A time when technology makes todays time seem stone age.

I'm sure most of us will still be in the hobby. If I've been into something for more than a couple of weeks I know I'm going strong :)

dudu84

Enlightened
I think it's the opposite of boring :naughty:.
I look forwards to future lights that are so small that they can be used as earrings, puts out thousands of lumens, run on thermal power (from our ears) and voice activated/ programmed by our watches/phones etc :twothumbs

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfection will never be met.

As time progresses, so does knowledge, expectations and technology.

One day, lights the size of our humble 6P's will light up a square kilometer!

:D

If we were to meet perfection, humans would not know what to do!

Life is progression.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight may be adequate for many average people, but I think flashlights will never be perfect for flashaholics.

We want everything, good brightness, good beam profile, floody, yet throwy for long range illumination, long runtime, etc etc, but if you think about it, half of them requires some sort of trade offs to achieve. With technological advancement, some can be improved, but in many cases at the expense of something else (not necessarily price, in fact right now I'm already assuming money is no object). To make things worse than it already is, we have aesthetics to consider as well which may in itself limit certain features of the light etc etc

Sh!t, should I write this on my thesis? haha

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened
How about a Flashlight with 1,000 Terabyte's of memory. 100,000 to 1,000,000 Lumens at 300 Lumens per Watt. It's not just a flashlight/spotlight as it's also a Quad HiDef Projector that can project movies bright enough to light up a mountain. Of course a tiny pocket 5,000-10,000 Lumen version would be nice. Don't worry about heat as it's just so efficient that heat is not an issue. As for a power source , you guys can think of something cool.

It's not science fiction, it's the future :)

Last edited:

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ocular implants allowing me to select which parts of the EM spectrum I want to see in. Image intensification as well. That combined with even a current torch should let me see as far as my visual cortex can process.

Now... about upgrading my brain...

Databyter

Enlightened
A light the size of a watch battery that is worn on a fingertip when not in hover mode, with an intuitive U.I.

Illumination is infinitly selectable from laser like collimation to ultra diffused flood and a range of colors. excellent runtime and more power than you would ever need.

Once this type of perfection is achieved all that is left is gimics and artisanship.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm not expecting the peak of flashlight tech to arrive any time soon. Things are far from becoming boring. Between batteries and emitters the future will be very bright.

Geoff

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights will always get brighter and brighter.

so nope, it shouldnt get boring.

maybe when it gets to the point where we can ceiling bounce off some clouds to provide light, from a CR2 sized light,we can think about slowing down.

Or when we finally use the remaining 90% of our brain, and have night vision, we wont need lights anymore.......THEN lights will be boring....

Crenshaw

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

Then we start in on cybernetic enhancements so we can make use of much more of the EM spectrum?

Hang on.. I'm speaking long term future. Something way beyond what y'all are speaking.

Yes, the near future is still interesting. The not so future is also still going to be pretty good.

I'm speaking long term. A time when technology makes todays time seem stone age.

I'm sure most of us will still be in the hobby. If I've been into something for more than a couple of weeks I know I'm going strong :)

Well, if you're talking that far future, I want to be a starship when I grow up. :nana: 'Course, active sensors on that scale are going to involve directed energy emissions the Advanced Tactical Laser can only dream of.

carrot

Flashaholic
Yes.

Once McGizmo retires from the flashlight business I will no longer be interested in flashlights.

Cheers,
carrot

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened

A spectrometer Flashlight used to measure properties of light over a specific portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, typically used in spectroscopic analysis to identify materials. With further technology we could shine a multi-spectrum emitter with a CPU and detector on someone and identify every disease, pathogen, biological agent and bacteria they are harboring. Like a metal detector it would allow us the ability to avoid or block access to infectious people. Example: Stay away from that guy as he has HerpaGonaSyphilAids.

johnsonj106

Newly Enlightened
I've only recently begun learning about flashlights, and I've been reading posts here from years and years ago, it seems to me that things have only begun to get exiting. The past is boring, the future will never be.

Cybernetic implants and genetic tampering and other such sciences will probably make flashlights irrelevant long before a torch is made that is unanimously described as perfect.