Website/SSL Question

mekki

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I want to set up a really basic e-com type thing on my site. Here's what I had in mind:

1) Clicking the "Buy Me!" button takes you to a https area (my host has a shared SSL thingy - that's good, right?)
2) You fill in all your info (name, address, CC number, ec..) and hit the "Submit" button
3) All this info is either a) sent to my email address encrypted, or b) sits in a secret area of the server where I can retreive it.
4) I use my merchant account to manually process your transaction and send you your new toy!

Am I out to lunch? Is this doable or advisable? I know I can use the PayPal or something like osCommerce, but PayPal is kinda cheesy and osC is gonna take me a while to figure out and intergrate into the existing site (if I can even figure out a way to get the two to merge).

Any tips would be most welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mekki
I would do 1), 2) 3)b and 4. That would work for the least effort on your side until your orders start snowballing. If you think they will snowball from scratch, you could try a ready built store builder. There are plenty out there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Last option is to do a custom development. Cost *may* be a factor for you... although you may very well be a millionaire so cost would be nothing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Howard

mekki

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Howard! I spent the day stewing over this and stumbled upon Mal's E-com site. I'd run into it before in my web travels, but never as a user, just a buyer.

It seems that his free cart thingy does it all! My only concern is over Mal's integrity (hey, "Mal" has some connotations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif), but everything seems on the up and up. Its a pretty neat service, and free, free, free!