Old Fenix T1 - lots of wear and tear - tailcap problem?

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have a fenix t1. It is old, and seen much use and abuse. The last hard fall on the concrete, the tail switch stopped working. The light still functions, I just have to twist it to turn it off, no big deal. I am supprised it still works at all!

Anyway, My 5 year old play with it in the hot tub, and bath tub, if he breaks it I could care less. I noticed that every time it is submerged with more than the tail cap under water, the led lights up. Similar to my RA clickie at the lowest setting, I think its like .3 lumens. WHat is going on with this? Is it safe to let my son play with in the tub? Anyone know how to fix the tailcap, if its even worth fixing?

Thanks!

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Help with light problem

A more specific thread title would be helpful - yours is very vague. Why not change it to Old Fenix T1 - lots of wear and tear - tailcap problem?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

It sounds like the tailcap boot is broken, and so is the switch - but the bath water is closing the circuit. Low-voltage low-current DC power is not particularly unsafe for your son, but it's bad for the flashlight to use impure water as a conductor. I suppose if the tear on the rubber cover is big enough he might lick it and taste the same flavor of 9v battery terminals.

Of course, don't take my broad generalizations as medical advice - just because I say it's probably safe doesn't mean that it is, nor am I really certain about what's broken.

Kgp

Newly Enlightened

A more specific thread title would be helpful - yours is very vague. Why not change it to Old Fenix T1 - lots of wear and tear - tailcap problem?

OK, thanks!

oronocova

Enlightened

Lighthound sells a switch for the TK series, I do not know whether or not it would work with the T1. Someone else probably has better information. I have a T1 myself so I'd be interested in knowing if it was fixable, I think they are an awesome light.

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
Recently I had the same problem, all was fixed, $7 from lighthound.
It is NOT the TK switch as advertised but a separate clicky switch unit, just email them and they will sort it all. Good folks to deal with.
A spare rubber boot should have come with the T1 (dont we all have a huge collection of spare rubber boots/o-rings gathering now days)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/237972

My T1 has been totally thrashed, bashed and abused and lives on to shine another day.

Whilst on the subject of T1's
I am not sure but I think my T1's output is starting to dwindle a little though (is this possible with LED's ? I would imagine that it has about 400-500 hrs use over a few years) Perhaps it is just my imagination as all my other new toys are just so much brighter like my Olight M30 LOL :twothumbs

Last edited: