Quark AA Neutral Tactical or Wait?

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at this light for a while now and can't quite seem to pull the trigger on it. I have 123^2 Neutral Tactical and love it, but it's a bit too big for EDC. Anyway, my question is, buy the AA Tactical now or is there something better (in terms of neutral LEDs) coming down the road that would justify waiting?

I've read the 4Sevens postings over in CPM but was curious as to what anyone else here thought. Thanks.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
My limited understanding is that the head for:
1 CR123
1AA
2AA
(18650?)

are the same. This means, assuming I'm right (dangerous gambles!) that you could buy 1 head and a long and short tube for it.

dudu84

Enlightened
I've been looking at this light for a while now and can't quite seem to pull the trigger on it. I have 123^2 Neutral Tactical and love it, but it's a bit too big for EDC. Anyway, my question is, buy the AA Tactical now or is there something better (in terms of neutral LEDs) coming down the road that would justify waiting?

I've read the 4Sevens postings over in CPM but was curious as to what anyone else here thought. Thanks.

Remember that all Quark heads and tails have the same dimensions, so the 1AA Quark is probably only a little shorter than 123^2 model, not much smaller.

Due to the recent launch of XP-G that costs about the same price as XP-E but significantly improved in performance AND it works with Quark current optics and circuitry (probably?), I don't see why 4sevens would keep manufacturing XP-E quark in the long run while other manufacturers could be releasing plenty of new products utilizing the latest LEDs ;)

All in all, I think it all depends on how long you are willing to wait as Cree targets to bring out neutral white XP-G end of calendar year, then another 2 weeks and possibly longer, for us to see the first neutral XP-G torch. I doubt the wait is going to be shorter than 2 1/2 months :mecry:. However, if you are happy with cool white XP-G then another new invention from 4sevens could be just around the corner (could be AAA version?) :popcorn:

In my case, I definitely won't buy another XP-E Quark unless it's on HUGE SALE because I already have my Quark AA TW :D

Just my 2c :popcorn:

Last edited:

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
I think I'll probably end up waiting to see what happens with the XP-G launch. But still every time I look at the light, I just tell myself "I really need an AA light, NOW!" This is probably not a good sign.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'll probably end up waiting to see what happens with the XP-G launch. But still every time I look at the light, I just tell myself "I really need an AA light, NOW!" This is probably not a good sign.
This feeling is a good reason to hide your paypal account from yourself ;) Good luck!

jblackwood

Enlightened
My limited understanding is that the head for:
1 CR123
1AA
2AA
(18650?)

are the same. This means, assuming I'm right (dangerous gambles!) that you could buy 1 head and a long and short tube for it.

If you look at the voltage limitations in the specs on the 4sevens page, you'll get a better understanding on which heads will fits which bodies. The only head that's different using THIS CRITERIA is the CR123x2 head which needs at least 3.0 volts to operate and has a ceiling of 9.0 volts before going :poof:

dirtech

Enlightened
I was in the same boat. I got it and love it. More light isn't always necessary. When a p60 drop in comes out with a warm tint in xp-g ill get one.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the neutral 1XCR123 Quark? Over a half inch shorter than the AA version and significantly brighter with a CR123.The head for the 1XCR123 and 1/2AA Quarks are the same so you can always pick up a 1AA body later on if you want.I think some of the LED upgrades are a little overrated and the neutral versions may not show up very soon anyway.The current batch of neutrals is a limited run.

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
I know. I keep looking at them wondering if I'll be kicking myself in a few weeks. I think I might just get the AA and then a Romisen RC-A4 II as well. Never can have too many flashlights can you?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
What is this "wait" you speak of?

Also, 1xAA is a popular, and my preferred, EDC format. It's thinner than a 123, there's a huge variety of battery types, the batteries are available everywhere (including in devices around you), etc.

burntoshine

Enlightened
i've been really tempted to get a AA neutral tactical quark, but i just bought the TK20 this week.

i think i'm gonna wait. something even more awesome is bound to come out sometime relatively soon in warm/neutral.

i've got a plenty of lights to play with while i wait.

...including my first Ti light that i got less than a week ago! :)

Darien

Newly Enlightened
Wait if you want to. Today I received a 123 Tactical (Neutral)/no clip, I know its not the AA as op started but I couldn't be more satisfied. Been toting a Novatac 120P for some time now and believe I may let it rest. I never buy more than one of any same light but I think this might be the first for me. :thumbsup:
The only downside I will need to get over is no tailstanding.

dudu84

Enlightened
Now I've seen xp-g being used in Quark xp-e optics, I think it's hard to say if 4sevens will upgrade the Quark line with xp-g r5 anytime soon, if ever.
Although I think it's sensible to produce bigger and more useful hotspots with xp-g on the Quark line (along with increased thermal performance and efficiency), whilst Turbo Quarks bring out tighter spot for better throw, not sure everyone will like the changes.

However, I think with the Quarks having an extra 7% discount (plus cpf 8% off), it's better to grab one now and have the possibility to mod it with xp-g later on. I'd do so if there weren't so many new releases lately :broke:

Last edited:

Xak

Enlightened
I'm waiting till the Quarks come with an XP-G neutral tint. I have the 123-2 Neutral and love the tint.

dudu84

Enlightened
Now I've seen xp-g being used in Quark xp-e optics, I think it's hard to say if 4sevens will upgrade the Quark line with xp-g r5 anytime soon, if ever.
Although I think it's sensible to produce bigger and more useful hotspots with xp-g on the Quark line (along with increased thermal performance and efficiency), whilst Turbo Quarks bring out tighter spot for better throw, not sure everyone will like the changes.

However, I think with the Quarks having an extra 7% discount (plus cpf 8% off), it's better to grab one now and have the possibility to mod it with xp-g later on. I'd do so if there weren't so many new releases lately :broke:

What do I know? :lolsign:
All Quarks R2 are now on sale and replaced by xp-g R5

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hate to burst this bubble, but I recently emailed David and 4sevens to ask about any plans/timetable to update the regular Quarks to XPG and was told the regular ones WILL NOT be updated or revised to use XPG's.

If you need a light now, assess your needs, choose an appropriate light, and buy it. If you're waiting for a regular Quark with an XPG or neutral tint, you're going to be waiting a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time...

On the other hand, I believe there are still some neutral heads available that could go on another regular Quark.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Hate to burst this bubble, but I recently emailed David and 4sevens to ask about any plans/timetable to update the regular Quarks to XPG and was told the regular ones WILL NOT be updated or revised to use XPG's.

If you need a light now, assess your needs, choose an appropriate light, and buy it. If you're waiting for a regular Quark with an XPG or neutral tint, you're going to be waiting a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time...

On the other hand, I believe there are still some neutral heads available that could go on another regular Quark.

Umm... you sure about that? ;) Guess he changed his mind!
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=204800
Neutral tint won't be for a bit though.