Looking for an EDC (1x123)

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, now that I'll have a 2x123 and a 3x123 (M1X on the way in Green :naughty:) I need an EDC and I'd prefer a cr123 to keep it easier on me. I've found a couple that I do like for their size and high output.

Nitecore Extreme R2 (Top in the running so far, looks awesome, and seemingly great quality & great output)
Quark 123 Tactical
Liteflux LF3XT
ITP C9
Eagletac T10c

Criteria
(Runs off Cr123's and only fits one)
I prefer tactical styling, mainly for aesthetic reasons but could be practical if the need were to ever arise.
Price eh, 100'ish and lower
Prefer a good thrower vs. a really floody but wouldn't mind a 50/50
Overall quality is > than overall output

Thanks! :wave:

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The Extreme is a good choice. It works really well as a drop-in-a-pocket EDC and has great throw outdoors.

You could take the Q5 version over the R2 and save yourself a few dinero. It's way bright enough and less of a tint lottery than the R2.

pobox1475

Enlightened
+1 for NEX. I have a couple limited edition SS bezel Q5's that have very nice tint/beams. A Quark would be my runner up.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, I faced a similar situation not long ago, and wound up with the Fenix PD20. After about 3 months of daily use, I have not been disappointed.

Good hunting!

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies... the Eagletac was found late and perhaps puts out the most light (of those in my running) per a website with lots of flashlight reviews.

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest the Lite Flux LF3XT

*The most configurable Dual U.I. on the market
*Nice pleasant beam pattern w a good combination of flood~throw for EDC
*Cheaper than the Extreme
*Optional pocket clip

Currently I E.D.C. the Extreme and love it!

But have the LF3XT in the mail on it's way over.

You can't go wrong with any of those choices tho.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, now that I'll have a 2x123 and a 3x123 (M1X on the way in Green :naughty:) I need an EDC and I'd prefer a cr123 to keep it easier on me. I've found a couple that I do like for their size and high output.

Nitecore Extreme R2 (Top in the running so far, looks awesome, and seemingly great quality & great output)
Quark 123 Tactical
Liteflux LF3XT
ITP C9
Eagletac T10c

Criteria
(Runs off Cr123's and only fits one)
I prefer tactical styling, mainly for aesthetic reasons but could be practical if the need were to ever arise.
Price eh, 100'ish and lower
Prefer a good thrower vs. a really floody but wouldn't mind a 50/50
Overall quality is > than overall output

Thanks! :wave:

You might also consider the SureFire E1B. It is 1x123, great thrower with SF's TIR optics, topnotch quality, and can be had for around $100 on CPF marketplace.

-Robert

Deegle

Newly Enlightened
I love my NEX. Super bright and very easy to carry. The clip is nice and strong, which is necessary if you are going to use it for EDC, in my opinion. I'm not a lanyard fan.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i edc my quark 123 (not tactical cuz i wanted tailstandy) and i love it, bright and easy to use and clipped to my pocket right next to my knife for extreme convenience...my .02

edit: i did a lot of research into output and efficiency and how long the low mode would run and quark kept winning, i can't remember all of the stuff i looked at, but it took me a good 3 days of reading before i decided on the quark, which i also happen to think is one of the best looking and smallest (besides the fenix P1D)

Last edited:

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Gosh, this place is worse than the watch places I used to frequent... you find 3-4 you like and the rest of y'all add in another 3-4 to consider.

Ok, the Surefire...

From my limited knowledge in flashlights they seem to be the "Rolex" of flashlights in that everyone knows who they are and they have a history of quality/big following. However, being that is it may, their prices reflect the name somewhat. Are their products really all they are cracked up to be (please no flamers).

I know that in any product, the higher the price the smaller the increase in quality. What I mean is... a $5 flashlight is nothing compared to say a $50 one. But the difference from a 50 to a 100 is smaller and so on. So, in the end I'm looking for a quality light, is Surefire the place to look?

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
a surefire is a GREAT light as far as the quality of everything except their light engine, i don't know much about their drivers, but the LEDs they use are older, outdated, not as effiecient and not very well tinted (everything from greenish to purplish) That being said, most of my lights are surefires with various LED upgrades, surefire is a large company and they don't want to retool everything every time a new LED comes out like the smaller companies are able to do to cater to us (fenix, quark, etc) unfortunately surefire has put off retooling for just a bit too long in my opinion, their P60L runs 80lumens, malkoff's modified dropin will do 235 with remarkeably similar runtimes....thats a drastic difference.

Most surefires are upgradeable within this community for a price, but why spend all that money for something that you hafta pay more money to change? Once again, most of my lights are surefire, but the P and C series have the great drop-in ability so a new light engine is literally a click of the mouse and a 3-5 day waiting period away with no soldering. Whew....that was long winded.

Latest posts