Help choosing Shotgun light

ARA

Enlightened
Hi everyone, i've been thinking of getting a Surefire dedicated forend light (636LFG LED Forend) for my Winchester Defender 1300 Shotgun, anyone here think its worth the price/utility. Also is it possible to upgrade the stock led head to a more powerful brighter Led around 200 lumens, like a Malkoff. Would appreciate some help :thinking:

Mods: Feel free to move if this is in the wrong section :eek:

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Save yourself some money and get the incan version (636FGA) and then get a Malkoff M60 or M60F or M60 MCE depending on what your looking for in light pattern and output levels. Don't forget to get the shock isolation spacer that Gene sells.

Edit: Or yeah and run the M60 and M60F on a single 17650 for longer run time instead of a steep drop off/shutdown as will happen running on 123's. As for the M60MCE you'll have to run it on 2 123's, but for 45mins at 500+ lumens its well worth it.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefirs dedicated fore-ends are definitely worth the price. I have the 918FA on my 870...the lights always there, solid fit, and solid function. 100 times better than trying to rig a bunch of mounts and stuff to somethnig that's supposed to be simple to use...the dedicated fore-end keeps a simple weapon, like the shotgun, simple. Like ionizedsky said, just get the incan, and buy a malkoff for-it (don't forget the bereyllium ring to make sure it works).

ARA

Enlightened
Thank you guys for your valuable input, you'r right it actually makes sense to get the incan version and just get the malkoff i'm glad its all positive input for the product. So the forend is a m60 compatible lego right ?

i have tried various mounts and flashlights with my shotgun but they don't seem to work for me. the shotgun always ends up heavy with weird handling, than an effective home defense weapon.

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Thank you guys for your valuable input, you'r right it actually makes sense to get the incan version and just get the malkoff i'm glad its all positive input for the product. So the forend is a m60 compatible lego right ?

i have tried various mounts and flashlights with my shotgun but they don't seem to work for me. the shotgun always ends up heavy with weird handling, than an effective home defense weapon.

Yep those dedicated foreends are solid. They utilize the ever popular P60 size module, so the malkoff M60 series lights will work well. Just make sure you get the beryllium spacer, as that will compensate for the compression on the spring of the M60 module during recoil and keep it in contact. As far as which M60 to use if you don't have one already. The M60 is a nice medium to short range module that has a good hot spot with good side spill, so it would work well if you are having to use slugs and need to reach out and touch someone. M60F is bright floody beam that is good for in close stuff, particularly like room clearing, it is just big wall of light with no hot spot. I might recommend if its gonna be for room clearing, and maybe for having to take aim on something in the back yard at 20ish yard or so, Go with a M60MCE module, its like the M60F but much brighter. EDIT:Run M60 and M60F on a single 17650 li-ion for good combo of output and run time and the M60MCE on 2 cells. Don't forget to post some pics up when you get it all set-up and going :popcorn:

Last edited:

Gene43

Enlightened
If the 618 has that plastic grommet in the throat it will need to be removed. Also the M60MC-E won't run on a single cell. It needs 2 cells.

ARA

Enlightened
@ionizedsky, thank you for explaining the M60 configurations it helps i have never used one before.

@Gene43, thank you for your valued input. Does the removal of the plastic grommet apply to all the forends or just the 618 model you mentioned.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
FYI La Police Gear has the Surefire forend for the Defender on sale right now in the closeout section. Might sweeten the deal :)

ARA

Enlightened
FYI La Police Gear has the Surefire forend for the Defender on sale right now in the closeout section. Might sweeten the deal :)

:) Thanks brother, thats a really sweet deal going there. Appreciate the heads up :D

ARA

Enlightened
hi guys just a quick update, i got the 636LFG LED light forend for the Winchester shotgun, can anyone tell me do i still need to order a beryllium spacer when i get a M60 module from Gene's ?

ionizedsky

Enlightened
hi guys just a quick update, i got the 636LFG LED light forend for the Winchester shotgun, can anyone tell me do i still need to order a beryllium spacer when i get a M60 module from Gene's ?

Well I thought you were gonna save some money and go with the standard 636FGA incandescent instead of the 636LFG, but if you did get the 636LFG looking at that in comparison to the standard incandescent model I don't think you will need to as it looks just like a standard 6P type head on there and not the larger p60 style head of the older incandescent fore-ends. So no I don't believe you do need the beryllium spacer, but there not that expensive so maybe just buy in case:thinking: :grin2:

Let us know either way though.

ARA

Enlightened
Yeah i thought might as well go for the LED version incase i did not manage to get the Malkoff, i'm based abroad hence did not want to take the chance of being stuck with an incandescent one. Thanks for the info mate, will contact gene next to place an order.

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Yeah i thought might as well go for the LED version incase i did not manage to get the Malkoff, i'm based abroad hence did not want to take the chance of being stuck with an incandescent one. Thanks for the info mate, will contact gene next to place an order.

Understandable, well good luck on it. Look forward to some pictures :twothumbs

ARA

Enlightened
Sure mate, i'll post some tomorrow of the stock unit. I've already installed it on the shotty. :D

ARA

Enlightened
As promised here are some pics, hope you like em :)

dsc01984j.jpg

dsc01986gs.jpg

dsc01990lw.jpg

dsc01993q.jpg

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Who makes that sidesaddle? And you wouldn't happen to be in the market for a pistol grip/collapsible stock would you? :)

hubbytuby

Newly Enlightened
TacStar is the most popular make for side saddles im not sure which one that is tho.

ARA

Enlightened
Yes that is a Tacstar sidesaddle, i already have a tacstar pistol grip. But i prefer a full stock.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Here is my heavily modified FN TPS (read: A modified Winchester 1300 to begin with)

trinity1.jpg

I agree with everyone about getting the standard incandescent 636 fore end assembly and then putting in a Malkoff dropin.

One thing I did notice with the Winchester 1300 action is that it breaks open automatically, and as such I found the fore end slamming into my thumb during firing. It's not a design flaw per se, more of a 'feature.' Mossberg 500/590s do the same thing, disengage the lugs during firing. Just watch your hands, though your mileage may vary considerably. Especially with 3" magnum slugs. God those are fun.

Last edited:

ARA

Enlightened
@Mercaptan, very nice sir, :)

may i ask which stock is that ? and which Malkoff module are you using mate ?