Nitecore EZAA Standard vs. XP-E R2

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've read through most of the threads, but still can't understand the difference. If I had an EZAA standard version and an R2 version of the same light, what should I expect the differences to be between the two lights?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
probably a better smoother beam with xpe

kev65658

Newly Enlightened
I destroyed my standard so got a R2. Nothing scientific, but the obvious difference in my 2 are, 1-standard low much brighter and warmer than R2. 2-R2 doesn't get near as hot as standard on high. Seems like the same light to me. I think I prefer the standard.

gnlw

Newly Enlightened
I do not have a trained eye or any measuring equipment. As a result, these are my subjective observations: The beam of my R2 appears to be "smoother" than my friend's standard. The R2 seems to have more of a "floody" beam with no artifacts, while the standard appears to be more "throwy" with a visible ring in the beam. The standard actually appears to be a little bit brighter on both modes than the R2. However, that may be due to my R2 having a warmer tint than my friend's standard. His standard has a very white tint. I hope this information is helpful.