found: Looking for a small cheap light that could run fom 12V

worldedit

Enlightened
Id like to use a flashlight head as a landing spot on my RC plane. I should run directly from a 3s lipo pack so it wont strain the my 5V line. One of those P60 dropins would be good, but it wouldnt have a lens. 12V capable lights from DX are pretty big and over 35$. Something the size of a P3D would be awesome. Any ideas?

Last edited:

jankj

Enlightened
Re: Looking for a small cheap light that could run fom 12V

A P3D head would be 6 volt (2*CR123 batteries), not 12 volts. You could of course run two of those in series...

You could search for drop-ins that accept higher voltages. Such as this one:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12501 (deal extreme sku 12501). Drop-ins are easiest to find for P60 hosts, which are larger than P3D head. If waterproof isn't important you could cut off a lot of the reflector and housing, making everything much smaller and lighter.

worldedit

Enlightened

Yes, i found that dropin too. I dont need it to be waterproof but it needs at least a lens. If i use a p60 hosts(or the smaller one in the link) head the dropin would just fall out of the back, means i would need to glue it in ruining the host.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you need it projecting a beam? If not then just get a P60 module and glue a water bottle cap on the front to diffuse the light and protect the led.

jankj

Enlightened

Do you need it projecting a beam? If not then just get a P60 module and glue a water bottle cap on the front to diffuse the light and protect the led.

You could do that AND have some projection... get some of those ultra-cheap acryllic aspheric from DX and mount them at the appropriate distance. Making a hole in a plastic water bottle cap and gluing them in place seems like a good way of doing this... Far from perfect, but certainly good enough for this application.

Marduke

Flashaholic

A P3D head would be 6 volt (2*CR123 batteries), not 12 volts. You could of course run two of those in series...

You could search for drop-ins that accept higher voltages. Such as this one:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12501 (deal extreme sku 12501). Drop-ins are easiest to find for P60 hosts, which are larger than P3D head. If waterproof isn't important you could cut off a lot of the reflector and housing, making everything much smaller and lighter.
The P3D head has been tested to work up to 12v previously.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast

RC airplanes are very sensitive to weight and that MR16 sure looks heavy.

Mr_Light

Enlightened

It is tiny (under 2 inches wide) plastic and lighter than any aluminum drop-in I have seen.

worldedit

Enlightened

Sorry for the late reply, i was busy soldering all day.

Anything over 50g wouldnt make sence, i could just tape my EZAA under the plane for the same result.

The suggestion about the MR11 buld made me think. Why bother with leds when a got battery that can deliver 400W. So i took the 50W halogen spot i had liing around (to be put in a mag). Put it on a 10A max switch, i can leave it on for a minute without the plane melting. Looks crappy but works fine. Its a nice addition to the 180 colored leds :)

I hope there will be good weather soon so i can try the first night flight.