Titanium vacuum deposition coating for flashlights?

Quacker

Newly Enlightened
I'm a fishaholic and I love my fishing gear - especially the small baitcasters. Recently, the new high end baitcasters have a special coating on them that is apparently very tough. It's called 'titanium vacuum deposition'. The coating gives the aluminium reels a very shiny and sleek look. And the colours are amazing.
I wonder if this technology would be employed for flashlights as well?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no need for titanium coating since we are getting flashlights that are made with the material. :D

I guess the process would be complicated for flashlights.

KuKu427

Enlightened
Yes, but IMO not worth it in an aluminum light.
tintube.jpg

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aluminum has it's own rather handy, super durable, easy to grow coating called anodizing. PVD works great but type III ano is cheaper and just as durable in flashlight applications. Now as far as aesthetics there may be some room for vapor deposition coatings to improve on, the colorful anodizing is much less abrasion resistant than a similar pvd.

KuKu427

Enlightened
Aluminum has it's own rather handy, super durable, easy to grow coating called anodizing. PVD works great but type III ano is cheaper and just as durable in flashlight applications. Now as far as aesthetics there may be some room for vapor deposition coatings to improve on, the colorful anodizing is much less abrasion resistant than a similar pvd.
What colorful anodizing were you referring to? I thought HAIII didn't come in too many colors?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was referring to "normal" anodizing, I think type II but I'm not sure. The standard Maglight type ano, in all colors of the rainbow. Type III I think can be dyed in a few different colors, but black and natural are the most common.