Home Made Similar to "The Torch" help thread.

Databyter

Enlightened
Even as I'm completing the finishing touches on my Mag85 which I use every night at work and love, I am in the planning and component purchasing stage of creating a light made to handle the Osram 64623 " Torch" bulb or similar.

Before I go crazy buying parts I need some help making sure that the configuration and parts I think I need are correct.

I would like the light to be a bit bigger than "The Torch" form factor mostly because I would like to have the switch on the side instead of the back, and I am assuming the reason a tail switch is used Mac's design is to keep the light in the 2d range of length.

Question/Condistion one, I'm thinking about AW's 3 step soft start switch is the way to go. For my needs I'm thinking that a 30-60-100 will be fine though I can just keep it away from 100 hot off the charger.
I like the idea of the regulated version I've seen elsewhere but I'm a bit intimidated by all the accessories I'd have to buy to program it etc. I would want to buy it preprogramed with a socket installed, and I think that would be very expensive, but if someone wants to make something for me I'd entertain an estimate.

Question 2, Regarding power behind this bulb I'd like to go with nimh if possible, because I already have a smart charger that can handle 9-30 volts, and isn't the best type of cell to use anyway for high current draw?
To fit behind the AW switch in a 3d mag I need some dimensional advice about what will fit. I guess I about 13 cells like in the "Torch+" because If I use the AW soft start I can use medium power on a full charge and then full as the voltage drops to more stable levels, and for the occasional wow I can have the 4400 lumen potential.
Lux Luther's destructive Bulb Testing https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/179748 shows that 15.6 Volts is several voltage steps below flash point though of course I'm sure if you get closer to the flash point your bulb life goes to hell.

Because I don't wish to make a bomb and I'm not super familiar with battery packs except to race RC stuff which I purchase I need advice on whether there is a holder I can buy and make a safe pack or if not I should go with a Cheapbatterypack.com type solution and would the Pack for the Torch+ fit in a 3D mag behind an AW Side Switch. Would I need to lengthen or shorten the tailspring etc..

I'm also wondering if I should just get a simple stipple metal reflector or if the Deep Reflector that FM makes will accept this bulb heat and opening wise.

Due to heat should I use the thick borofloat? because I notice there is one that is 6 mm thick ( I just gave one away that I bought by accident heh) or will the regular borofloat handle the load.

Thanks in advance, I expect to do this over the next month or so but I don't want to start buying stuff untill some of you experts point out the obvious (to you) flaws in my "master plan".

Edit I see now as I do more research that this is usually called a Mag623 and there are some threads on it I am reading now, some a bit dated so I'd still appreciate any recommendations for a 2D or 3D build. List components or ideas.

Last edited:

R@ndom

Enlightened
It's actually pretty easy if you know how to solder and have funds(unlike me :crazy:). You will need a tri-bore 2D Host or a Quad-bore 3D host if you don't want regulation. Get a 12/13 cell 2/3A battery pack or a 12AA holder. Or with regulation Jimmy/Alan you can run any voltage above that. To hold the bulb you either use a plain KIU kit, KIU with Jimmy, Alan's Sled or a AW switch.

And yeah, Boro and Alu will be a very good idea, the bulb needs a 0.550" bulb opening. A FM big head will be useful if you want ANY throw at all. So would a 138 instead of the original bulb.

If you just want in drop in solution just ask for AlanB's sled programed for 63***.

Databyter

Enlightened
It's actually pretty easy if you know how to solder

I'm getting better and hoping the new iron helps.

A FM big head will be useful if you want ANY throw at all.

I plan to get a big head for sure, but I want to interchange with a stock look also, mostly for those times I carry it in a loop. I think a big head would be uncomfortable.

If you just want in drop in solution just ask for AlanB's sled programed for 63***.

If it's pre-programmed and preferably with the socket installed this might be the easiest way, depending on price for the pre-programmed. I read part of that thread and saw a "calibration" option but I did not assume this included full programming, but rather setting defaults and zero'ing.