Maximum emitter clearance for Aleph drivers?

fyrstormer

Banned
What is the tallest emitter that can be installed on top of an Aleph driver can? I know tolerances will vary according to design but there must be a base spec.

Specifically, can I fit a Luxeon K2 on top of a GDuP driver inside an Aleph Mule without having to shave a bit off the silicone dome? I'm not unwilling to do that, but I'm hesitant to modify the refractive properties of the dome if I don't have to.

mahoney

Enlightened
I'm not sure what the spec for the mule head is, but the consequence of the LE not going deep enough into the head is a gap between the head and the battery pack, which can be cured with a thicker o-ring on the battery pack if it's not too big. One other possible cure is to trim the reflector if the LE is built and can't be adjusted, but that's not an option with the mule head. Another option is to trim the underside of the threaded ring portion of the LE some to allow the battery pack to screw further in. You might also be able to find a thinner lens to fit the mule head.

If the LE is not built yet, you could sand the star base or heatsink slug thinner if you are using the "all-in-one" E-screw can, or cut a pocket in the top of the heatsink if you are using a traditional LE kit to gain a bit of "z-axis" room.

I would mock-up the parts before building the LE/gluing the emitter on to see what the gap would be.

fyrstormer

Banned
Unfortunately at this point it's all still hypothetical. Dunno why I didn't think of cutting an inset into the middle of the emitter board; that would probably work pretty well, assuming it's a matter of 1/10ths of a mm that I'd need to gain.