Quick wireless network/router question

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty computer savy but have never set up a wireless home network and am researching in advance. I am looking at one Belkin wireless router and it says under the requirements "At least one computer with an installed network interface card". Is that just to config the router or will one PC constantly require a wired connection?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should be just to configure the router. (You need to set the wireless encryption and passkey) After that, the wired computers can be switched off or disconnected, and the wireless connection will still work.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Belkin wireless router - works great, easy to set up. Make sure you set up some kind of security on it..

seattlite

Enlightened
You can always use a crossover cable(CAT5/6) if the router doesn't auto select and connect up your PC/Laptop to your router to configure. Afterthat, you can have 0 or however many wired/wireless devices connected to the router.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing that held me up was I had to use the blue setup cable that came with the wireless router (Linksys). I tried to do the initial setup with a regular 25ft cable, it wouldn't work. Once setup it was fine.