Handmade furniture - where to buy online?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Hi CPF friends,

My little brother is getting married in a couple of weeks, and I wanted to get him something special for his home.

I want to give them something handmade - either a lamp, small end table, cabinet, etc., preferably wood.

Anyone have any sites for such things? :thinking: I like to avoid going to big box stores, and prefer supporting the little guy when it comes to stuff like this.

My budget is ~$400

Thanks!
:thumbsup: john

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try a local craft store, one that sells things on consignment.
Or - if there is a woodworking store nearby, they might be able to point you to a place.

Online crafts might be somewhat risky, you really can't check the quality of the work until you receive it

good luck in any case.

jch79

:wave: Will!

Thanks for your response!

A woodworker from my hometown in Wisconsin (whose stuff is in the Smithsonian, and WAY out of my price range), pointed me to this place here in Chicago: http://www.sawbridge.com

He said that they might have some affordable "apprentice" type stuff.

I like buying local!

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
make one! but wood doesn't conduct heat very well, you should make it out of aluminum, in case your friend wants to add LEDs to it later!

Or, farmer's market probably has some hobby/small-time wood-workers

jch79

make one!

I live in a small appt. in Chicago, so woodworking is tough to do. That said, if I had the time, I'd do it with my hand tools, but their wedding is in 11 days. :D That, and I don't think they'd want something that'd look like it was built by an 8 year old! :eek:

Or, farmer's market probably has some hobby/small-time wood-workers

I wish! The weekend farmer's market down the street from my house only has produce/flowers/baked goods. No handmade stuff. :(

Thanks!