Recommend a "Wall Of Light"

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I've been researching my next purchase - a P7 or MC-E based light running on 2x18650. My use of this light will be working outside in the dark, in a basement or attic, maintenance tasks at the cottage on the lake, walking/hiking light and "things that go bump in the night" light. I want a bright, floody "wall of light" that will basically light up everything in front of me for 100-200 ft (30-60m) or more if possible. I would prefer the hotspot to be not so well defined and rather large and diffused with a massive amount of spill (size and intensity).

I've looked at the JetBeam M1X but feel it is too throwy. Same with the Tiablo ACE-G. The Olight M30 Triton is more like the type of beam but with either higher PWM or current controlled output. I looked at the Dereelight CL1H V4 MC-E and like the floody beam but would like it to be brighter. How about the Solarforce Masterpiece - any good?

So what I really want is the beam and output of my ROP Hi Mag mod but in a LED for 1-2+ hours of regulated runtime and a smaller package. I'd use my ROP with its nice warm ~900 lumen light but it only has about 30 minutes of runtime with diminishing light throughout. :sigh: Plus it gets fairly hot.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I suggest starting with one of Gene Malkoff's MC-E modules and finding an appropriate host. An aftermarket battery tube with some Surefire 6P bezel and tail cap should do the trick. I use this module in a 9P with 123s and it does a great job. The 18650s will make it even better. 123s last a little more than an hour.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
You definitely need a quad emitter type of light. Now, a P7 will be floodier than an MC-E.

For absolute reliability get a Malkoff P7 drop-in.

A 2C Mag purchased from the market place runs about $30 dollars already bored for IMR C cells.

Then you need 2 IMR C cells...

The KD charger is $7 dollars and fully protected. You will need 2 at least and it takes about 6 hours to charge those big cells.

This will be my next build. I have the ROP H now with the same hosts and cells, but the tight hot spot makes it a thrower and less floody than my P7 Mags.

Malkoff Mag drop-in P7:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I suggest starting with one of Gene Malkoff's MC-E modules and finding an appropriate host. An aftermarket battery tube with some Surefire 6P bezel and tail cap should do the trick. I use this module in a 9P with 123s and it does a great job. The 18650s will make it even better. 123s last a little more than an hour.

You definitely need a quad emitter type of light. Now, a P7 will be floodier than an MC-E.

For absolute reliability get a Malkoff P7 drop-in.

A 2C Mag purchased from the market place runs about $30 dollars already bored for IMR C cells.

Then you need 2 IMR C cells...

The KD charger is $7 dollars and fully protected. You will need 2 at least and it takes about 6 hours to charge those big cells.

This will be my next build. I have the ROP H now with the same hosts and cells, but the tight hot spot makes it a thrower and less floody than my P7 Mags.

Malkoff Mag drop-in P7:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

Seems the Malkoff drop-ins are under-driven. Are they?

How would a Malkoff C-Mag drop-in running on 2xLiIon compare in output to say a Solarforce L950/Masterpiece, a JetBeam M1X or Epsilon ED-P72. What about the beam on the Malkoff, floody?

lebox97

Enlightened
you might take a look at an eagletac M2 series w/ a diffuser (see my sig link) - it's the biggest wall of light I have seen :eek:

otherwise flashlightlens has diffuse lens you can add to an existing light - but am not sure you'll get the regulation and output your looking for...

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had Saberwolf build of a MCe warm EDC ,I put diffuser film and it is a total wall of warm light! I have the rcr123 model but he made a 18650 version as well,I would think tht would be an option to look into.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
nailbender makes a great P60 dropin from that new sst-90, mine definitely makes a wall of light, off just 2.5A (it can handle up to 10) it doesn't quite reach 100 feet i don't think, but everything within 30-50 feet is VERY lit up

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems the Malkoff drop-ins are under-driven. Are they?

How would a Malkoff C-Mag drop-in running on 2xLiIon compare in output to say a Solarforce L950/Masterpiece, a JetBeam M1X or Epsilon ED-P72. What about the beam on the Malkoff, floody?

Malkoff Drives the P7 Mag drop-ins at 2.8A...At the LED of course.

His MC-E is a P60 drop-in driven at 2.4A at the LED.

2.8A is perfect and that is what the Solarforce L900, L950, and L1000 are driven at too.:twothumbs

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides the Olight M30 you might also want to take a look at the LumaPower D-Mini EX. It's a single 18650 light - not in the 700L class but it's pocketably small and ~400L. The Olight M20 Ti with SST-50 is also an option if you're feeling rich...

Patriot

Flashaholic
I don't think you need a diffuser, just the proper light. Any P7, MC-E, SST-50 or SST-90 in a P60 host with textured reflector ought to give you exactly what you're looking for. I'd lean toward the SST-90 because of it's surface area. Many options though.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't think you need a diffuser, just the proper light. Any P7, MC-E, SST-50 or SST-90 in a P60 host with textured reflector ought to give you exactly what you're looking for. I'd lean toward the SST-90 because of it's surface area. Many options though.

Whenever I try a diffuser it appears to my eyes that all it does is dim the hotspot to the same luminosity as the original spill rather than making the entire light field brighter.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Malkoff Drives the P7 Mag drop-ins at 2.8A...At the LED of course.

His MC-E is a P60 drop-in driven at 2.4A at the LED.

2.8A is perfect and that is what the Solarforce L900, L950, and L1000 are driven at too.:twothumbs

Malkoff's P7 C-Mag drop-in info states "It is our brightest Maglite® dropin offered and is rated at 500 out the front lumens. It is fully regulated and will operate on 5.5v to 13v input. Current draw is 1800ma at 6v and 1000ma at 12v." Is his 500 lumen rating OTF a true rating? Is the Solarforce L950 around 650 OTF?

Besides the Olight M30 you might also want to take a look at the LumaPower D-Mini EX. It's a single 18650 light - not in the 700L class but it's pocketably small and ~400L. The Olight M20 Ti with SST-50 is also an option if you're feeling rich...

The M20 Ti is too rich for my blood. :broke: A sweet looking light though. :thumbsup: I'd like to stay away from 1x18650 cuz I want output and runtime.

What light has the SST-90? Just learned about the SST-50 and never heard ot the 90. What light has that and howmuch light can it produce? My interest is piqued.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
WolfEyes Superstorm almost fits the bill. I just picked one up and still am amazed at how much light it puts out! HUGE sidespill- not a defined hotspot but throws out several hundred feet and lights up everything. Great for all your stated uses. You see everything.

It is a little bigger than you want and takes 3 18650's but the runtime is there. 1500 lumens at the emitter (I think)

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff's P7 C-Mag drop-in info states "It is our brightest Maglite® dropin offered and is rated at 500 out the front lumens. It is fully regulated and will operate on 5.5v to 13v input. Current draw is 1800ma at 6v and 1000ma at 12v." Is his 500 lumen rating OTF a true rating? Is the Solarforce L950 around 650 OTF?

MrGman's readings for the L900 are:
Solarforce L900M_______,__2X_AW18650________high_________654.2______3 sec_______,
Solarforce L900M_______,__2X_AW18650________high_________596.3_____30 sec_______,
Solarforce L900M_______,__2X_AW18650________high_________585.0_____60 sec_______,
Solarforce L900M_______,__2X_AW18650________high_________575.7____120 sec_______,
Solarforce L900M_______,__2X_AW18650________high_________562.6____150 sec_______,
Solarforce L900M_______,__2X_AW18650________high_________558.9____180 sec_______,

MrGman build and calibrated an IS Sphere for Gene Malkoff...So, the 500 OTF Gene advertises is true. He did tell me via phone conversation they are around 700 OTF, but like his WildCat he advertises what is likely the very warm OTF numbers.:twothumbs

I think he Gene is doing good by advertising the very warm readings or the minimum at any given temperature. It is likely that after 10 or 15 minutes the heat makes the 500 OTF lumens, but that is as low as it goes so Gene advertises those numbers. Maybe he can answer the question better though.:confused:

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
What light has the SST-90? Just learned about the SST-50 and never heard ot the 90. What light has that and howmuch light can it produce? My interest is piqued.

I have an sst-50 drop in from nailbender and it produces a nice bright light. It is regulated and only can accept a 18650 or 123primaries. His drop in will work with most p60 hosts. Also if you are looking for more flood he has a sst 90 drop in as well. It appears for now that unless it is a custom light, there are not many flashlights utilizing these led's. If you are looking for readily available quality flashlights then I would stick with a p7 or mce.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 Malkoff MC-E's in Solarforce L2 hosts with extension tubes. I can run and have run 2X18650's, 2X17670's, 2X17500's and I have some 18500's on the way. Solarforce makes the L2 host that will take 18mm or 17mm size batteries and extension tubes to match. These have been working very well for several months.

It is a pure flood light that is going to be your all purpose wall of light to do work in the otherwise total darkness with without a lot of harsh glare in your eyes. This combination will be reliable and cost effective. The solarforce hosts are modular. Of course you could go with the Malkoff MD3 or 4 hosts and the head sold separately that goes on the MD2 and the 2 mode switch, then you have high and low for a greater cost than the Solarforce host, but its definitely more rugged and you get 2 modes out of this system. I have put the MC-E in the MD2 host with the 2 mode switch and ran that for a week with no problems as well.

I love this is a portable worklight for in the shed or backyard, etc.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened

the sst-50 and 90 are made by luminus devices, they have a huge surface area instead of multiple dies, they handle large current and were originally designed for battery powered laptop projectors, the sst-90 top bin (good luck finding one) is rated at 2250 lumens at 9A (hard to cool) the surface brightness is lower than the small packages, so throw is inhibited, but the shear amount of light they make could easily be described as a "wall" i have the P60 dropin lower binned sst-90 (courtesy of nailbender) running in a 6P with a single AW18650, it draws about 2.5A and is somewhere between 600-800 lumens. It is severely underdriven obviously, but that prevents the heat buildup and i can run it till the battery dies without the worry of heat damage.

Driving one closer to spec in a larger host with more batteries would be impressive, i just like the pocket size. Just be warned there is not really a hotspot unless you shine it at a white wall....it will not appear so bright until you take it in the dark :twothumbs another downside is price, they are $40 for just one LED...so the drop was only a little less than the malkoff MC-E, i really wanted it for bragging rights (you can tell from my long winded description) and to be my dedicated floody.

Data sheet here

outersquare

Enlightened
imo for equivalent cost, there is not much point going quad die MC-E/P7 anymore if you can get SST90.

i had both an MCE and SST90 from nailbender and the MCE has that cross/darkspots in the projected beam.
The SST90 beam is perfectly even.

i guess you can use a diffuser of some kind, but that probably reduces output and it's like a bandaid for a problem that doesn't have to exist anymore

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of great suggestions here but going back to basics if you just want to order a factory light I would suggest the Olight M30 running with the 18650x2 with the extender. That would give you about 1.5hr runtime(high mode). Now if you want to go with the shorter light you could forget the extender and run 18500x2 for about 1hr.