Can 18650's withstand cold?>

ptolemy

Enlightened
Hi guys...

I am looking at leaving the light in the car. As it's getting cold here, I wonder if they can withstand temos dipping to 10f.

Cheers :)

AndrewZorn

Newly Enlightened
lithium ion in general doesn't do well in the cold (below freezing like that is going to bring pretty bad performance)

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Also, remember that Li-Ions (i.e. rechargeables) will eventually lose their charge over time. (Technically primaries do too - but at a far, far slower rate). So if you're planning to leave the light alone for a long time, but then need it to work at peak performance when you call on it, primaries are definitely the way to go. They're what I use in my emergency kit and my car.

If this is the emergency light for your car, I'd definitely consider using two CR123s instead of an 18650 (if your light can take it).

For what it's worth, I've also experienced somewhat lackluster performance with Li-Ions in the extreme colds; primaries were no problem.

- FITP

Fird

Enlightened
Li-ions do better than alkaline in the cold if i'm not mistaken. I've use a Li-ion powered light outdoors at -30f BUT the trick is that I store it on my belt, so it started out warmer than room temp.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The general rule is no rechargeables in extreme hot or cold. Lithium primary cells are ideal for an in-car light, any number of AA lithums or 1x123 only.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
keep the light in the car and your battery in your pocket.