Winchester Mystery House, Flashlight Tours

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Just a little heads up to the bay area CPF'ers...
The Winchester Mystery House will be starting up their annual Halloween flashlight tours. Its a really interesting place to visit... and even MORE fun at night!!

My wife and I did this on our first date ~10 years ago!!, and we both look back at that night with a laugh.

http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/events.html

As a bonus (well maybe not for us), they'll provide the flashlights!!

Last edited:

USM0083

Enlightened
I went with my wife (then GF) in 2004. It was a lot of fun going through in the dark. I still have the cheap no-name 2D light they gave out, but I was using a 6P with a KX3 head (20 lumens).

It was the brightest light in the group :candle: and lit up the rooms beatifully.

elumen8

Enlightened
I love that tour. I wonder if they still let you keep the cheap souvenir flashlight...its been years (maybe 20) since I took that tour. Thanks for the heads up Kramer5150.

JB

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPFers are going to ruin the dark atmosphere with their bright quad-die/multi-emitter monster flood lights... Remember folks: the darkness is 99% part of the fun in that tour, so use the cheap dollar store light they provide you.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd wait until you were just about to leave, and whip out those "multi-emmiter, P7 floodlights," and have some people ask some "where can I get one of those!" type questions.

:whistle:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
hah, bring your cheapos and keep them on low. Everyone'll be tripping out at the crazy PWM effects. Not to mention you can always strobe the "ghosts" if you go to one of those fake "haunted houses"

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Last time I was there it was not halloween, but I used my ARC LSH-P to get a better view of some of the rooms. I hung back as the tour group moved on so that they would not be distracted by the 'crazy guy with the light'.

While there, don't forget to look into the small winchester museum in the gift shop. The Winchester company used to make flashligts!

winchesterlights1.jpg

Daniel

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go, but as usual the flashlight tour prices are as crazy as Sarah Winchester herself. $15 would be reasonable. They want $45 per person for a 65 minute tour! :broke:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Wow ! ! !

:eek:

But, if i could wander all over for 65 minutes, by myself . . . .

:whistle:
_

kramer5150

Flashaholic
WOW!!! thats insane!!! You'd think they were run by the Walt Disney company ($$$).

I think it was only like $15 ~10 years ago.
Thats a cool little piece of flashlight history though, didn't know they made lights.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
winchesterlights1.jpg

Look closely....."Hi-Power"!!!!! :crackup:

If they only knew of this site.......

Seriously, that sounds like a total blast to walk around there with just flashlights!!

MSax

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
We thought about going there in '05 when we were in CA...but my mom didn't think she'd be up for all the walking it would take to go through that place.

Bet's it's cool though...if anyone does the tour, they'll have to post pics of the souvenir flashlight when it's over. :naughty: