One Of My Camping Trips With The ARC-LS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an early ARC-LS "second" with the old "twisty" pack body. I can't tell you how much I like this thing. It's so tiny and goes with me everywhere because of it's diminutive size. It still amazes me how bright this tiny thing is everytime I use it! I have many other lights large and small but the ARC-LS is head and shoulders my all-time favorite light. No one however, ever mentions how good the "throw" is on these little gems.

A few days ago, my wife and I were on a camping trip. I live in Northern Calif. near the Oregon border and the country up here is beautiful. We were camped at Shasta Lake near Redding, Ca. We sleep in the back of our old Ford Ranger which has a cap on it.

In the middle of the night on the second night, my wife woke me up and said there were two vehicles stopping in front of our rural campsite and then taking off again. She thought they might be checking out our camp and maybe sizing it up to steal things. I listened for awhile and sure enough two vehicles kept coming up to our camp with their lights off and stopping and then taking off again. I jumped out of the camper shell and they were now parked above us on a higher road and again, with their lights off.

Now I always have my little LS clipped to my pants, shorts or whatever I'm wearing and it has a green "GlowRing", attached to it. I always keep it on the wheel well inside the shell when we sleep while camping and with that green GlowRing attached, it shouts, "here I am!" . After I got out of the shell, (and as I said, they were parked on a higher road about 50 yards above us), I turned on the little LS. It burned through that pitch black night and the beam hit the vehicles broadside and man did they scamper! They never returned.

I just wanted to relate this little story and how useful it is to have a bright light always with you. Big bulky lights are brighter than the little LS but what good are they if you don't have immediate access to one? I love my old, tiny LS and to me it's still a marvel and really does have good throw for such a tiny light!

dtsoll

Enlightened
Great story about a great light!! Arc's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
great story indeed!

sounds like it would make a great arc testomonial /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh... You need to get yourself a Space Needle II and shine it at them... Would've thought they had seen some aliens comin' their way...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I used the prone position!;) I've never thought of flashlights being "tactical" and never cared. This incident showed me that there's more to a good light than providing light! Of course a good light is nothing if you don't have it with you at all times and the LS "shines", (pardon the pun), in this department.:)

Charles,
I think you are correct!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to contact the law enforcement agency with jurisdiction for the area and describe everything to them. If there is a history of thefts and/or attacks or armed robbery, etc., there, the descriptions of the vehicles (any detail you can give them) may be the break they need. Every bit of data will help them, no matter how insignificant it may seem to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.