LED LENSER V2 16 CHIPS 7460 Mod Help please

ljw2k

Enlightened
Hi i would love to mod my now old LED LENSER V2 16 CHIPS 7460

Would it be possible to replace the reflector and led to a ssc P7 LED along with a new driver ( Buck Driver from DW ) also can the C cell batteries be replaced with something with more power.

I have no idea at all regards to Modding flashlights and what i know is only what i have read on here in the last week or so.

Any help will be much appreciated along with what parts and part numbers if possible , i have been looking at parts from Deal extreme but unsure what i need.

Some Pictures below of the flashlight i want to modify.

PS: I am no david Bailey so excuse my poor pictures....!! .

DSCF1088.jpg

DSCF1089.jpg

DSCF1090.jpg

DSCF1093.jpg

DSCF1096.jpg

DSCF1099.jpg

DSCF1100.jpg

DSCF1101.jpg

DSCF1106.jpg

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, with all Coast/LL lights you run into a few basic problems. The first being that they have no driver, for power regulation. They just use a resistor to limit current.

The second is that they have very poor heat sinking. VERY bad. Sometimes non-existent, as it appears in your case. You would really need to build/have made a custom heatsink for this host to even think of a very hot-running LED. Also, you will need a driver, either single or multimode, to power the LED correctly.

Finally, it appears that the internal space is very limited, meaning that with a good heatsink and driver, you will have a very shallow reflector, if you can fit one at all. So it will definitely be all flood.

Hope this helps a little.

ljw2k

Enlightened
Hey ...thanks for the quick reply really appreciated.

I was thinking this would be ok with the built in copper heatsink http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18073 but again i am no expert on flashlights as explained above but saying that i really want to build my own light.

Would a Mag Light 2 or 3 cell be a better candidate for modding purposes and just throw the Led Lenser in the car or house as a backup.

Does the Maglight C Cell take a uprated battery 3.7v lithium from D-Extreme and i am really looking towards the ssc-P7 LED as i have read good things about the performance and output from this.

I have ordered already just waiting delivery of a ssc-P7 flashlight from Deal-extreme this one as it seams to have a Digitally regulated Circuit https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18695

Any further direction would be much appreciated.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're in the right forum for M@G mods, tons of threads about every sort of mod. Just use the search function [you WILL hear that repeatedly]. There are several "How to" threads w/ plenty of pics and instructions to help you along. You may find that after doing the M@G mod you'll want to try your hand at modding the Lenser. Good luck.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/238641

Here's one of the best "How to" threads for M@G mods

Last edited:

ljw2k

Enlightened
I must have missed that post as i have done lots of reading the past few days.

Thanks for the reply anyway much appreciated.