Cant decide between TK40 and Olight M30

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Ive been looking for a big size flashlight to compliment my TK10, currently working as security and often volunteer with local police departments so I need something powerful. Ive narrowed it down to the TK40 and Olight M30. The jetbeam M1X is nice but I am not a fan of the skinny handle.

I like that the Olight M30 uses only two 18650 batteries (I would use the extender for the added size), although each battery cost $20 x 2 = $40 each time I need new batteries, although the TK40 uses 8 AA batteries I can get some rechargable eneloops and be done with it. Also I like the thicker feel of the TK40. Is the M30 close to the thickness? Or is it just as thick as a AA battery?

I like how the Olight M30 comes with a diffuser since im interested in more of a flood versus a throw.

I think the TK40 has a better range of levels.

TK40 - 13 - 93 - 277 - 630
M30 - 8 - 120 - 700

They both seem like a solid choice and both have crappy UI though. Although the TK40 will remember the last level used, not sure if the M30 does. Im torn in the middle. Please give me your opinion/beamshots etc...

JeffInChi

Enlightened
Maybe this will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlQ7vzXqz4A

The M30 UI is better than the TK40 and can be cycled through with only one hand, making it more "tactical". The M30 is about as thin as the Jetbeam M1X. The TK40 is much heavier than the M30. On their highest modes, the TK40 is slightly brighter than the M30, even though the M30 is rated higher - but this is difficult to tell by the naked eye. The TK40 is a better thrower of the two also, but not by a whole lot. Basically, I like the beam and light from the TK40, but I love the size and UI of the M30 - both are just as bright pretty much. I prefer the M30 for on duty purposes.

How will you be carrying it all day/night? Do you have a pocket/hoster/lanyard comfortable enough for a whole shift?

If you like the feel and weight of a 2D mag, and you're fine with having that on your person all night, than get the TK40. If you think it'll be too much weight/size to be practical, get the M30.

Or buy both.................I did. :grin2:

Good luck, stay safe.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're both excellent lights but I prefer the M30 for a few reasons:

The M30's battery tube diameter is a very comfortable 1" - which also makes it easily weapon mounted for those inclined to that. 1" is about as big as 2 AA's across.

The M30 is much lighter and smaller than the TK40 and is made for the law enforcement/security market - it's a Stinger sized light.

I'm not sure why you think the UI is crappy - I think it's just about the best UI I've ever seen for LE. Here's how it works:
When the light is off the side button is direct to strobe and the tailcap (with momentary) is direct to whatever level or mode you have preset (yes, it has memory.)
When the light is on the side button is now the means to cycle through the 3 levels of output and strobe mode.

For most law enforcement that means leaving the output on high which means that the side button is instant access to strobe and the tailcap is instant access to high - something we've been getting asked for by LEO's for years.

There are a number of threads with comparative beamshots.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Weight does not bother me. I actually prefer a heavier, bigger light. The officers I work with use their lights often to knock on doors, smash windows etc... Also the TK40 can be cycled through one hand, just holding the button for half a second. I plan on using the Maglight D-Cell ring holder for my belt and I dont believe it will bother me. I dont carry much other than that.

That review helped. I think I might go with the TK40 with the rechargeable eneloops. I like the size of it compared to the skinny handle style lights.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Olight M30 is a great light!

I would highly recommend one.

The UI is simple, but excellent.
The dedicated strobe function is very handy!

You can also tailstand it, and it has the ability to light up a room very well when used in this matter!

Running it on two 18500's has great runtime, and keeps it nice a compact.

:thumbsup:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
M30.

from what ive seen the tk40 is problematic unless you use all fresh batteries every time.

accidentally mix 2 half full batteries in with 6 good ones and you'll likely have problems.

ill always go with simple build, and battery configuration over complicated.

even better, for the $140 the M30/tk40 will cost you, you could have 2 quality lights with similar performance.($70 each)

if 1 fails for any reason you have a spare.:candle:

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Well like I mentioned already I plan on using rechargeable eneloops which will have the same amount of charge when I use them. And I already have my TK10 and a D10 on the way as my backup lights I suppose. Just need something bigger with more power.

What other problems can I have with the TK40 besides the batteries which is a non-issue to me.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
id say get either a single or multiple P7 custom maglite as you already have smaller lights.

anywhere from 500-2000 lumens, cost from $70 (what i paid for my single P7 mag) to $250 for the best of the best.(without bling)

intuitively i feel the tk40 is kinda hokey.

P7 mags are nutz good :devil:

for example

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/230807

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Weight does not bother me. I actually prefer a heavier, bigger light. The officers I work with use their lights often to knock on doors, smash windows etc... Also the TK40 can be cycled through one hand, just holding the button for half a second. I plan on using the Maglight D-Cell ring holder for my belt and I dont believe it will bother me. I dont carry much other than that.

That review helped. I think I might go with the TK40 with the rechargeable eneloops. I like the size of it compared to the skinny handle style lights.

I like my TK40. Maybe it is because I am so used to the 2 D sized flashlights and it is about the same size. I also like the 2 X Cr123 sized flashlights but I hate long thin handles like 2 X 18650. I think it's just what I grew up with and am used to.

I am disappointed that I can't use L91 's with it though. Nice and light and less concerns with different charge levels than eneloops you charge yourself when you buy the L91's all at once.

jahxman

Enlightened
Lots of M30 fans in this thread.

I like the M30 too, and it would undoubtedly serve you well if you went that way.

That said, I think I would rather have a TK40 with me if raw out the front lumens and throw were important to the use I was putting it. Also the ability to run on NiMH is a nice plus in my opinion.

Don't be put off by scary stories about the 8 cells the TK40 uses - just be smart, use a good quality matched set of NiMH AAs (get them new at the same time, and check them after a few charge and discharge cycles to make sure there aren't any duds in the batch). Pay attention to the polarity loading the battery carrier, and all will be good.

The TK40 continues to impress me with its overall quality and flexibility for many situations.

If I wanted a compact, bright flood to medium throw light with decent output and instant access to strobe from off, I would go M30.

Otherwise I would pick the TK40.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Just to make things more confusing for you, have you ever considered the M1X? Great build quality but the thin handle you are concerned about. A simple UI (for me, Tight-Bright, Loose-you decide what it is). But the M1x would be the thrower of the bunch (TK,M30) where the M30 is more flood IMO. The M1X can take either 3 or 4 123's or 2x18650's. However, in using the extender on mine, the 4th 123 rattles which bugs me and it makes the handle really long (for me) and the balance is off so I use it w/o the extender.

BadHobbit

Newly Enlightened
I like that the Olight M30 uses only two 18650 batteries (I would use the extender for the added size), although each battery cost $20 x 2 = $40 each time I need new batteries, although the TK40 uses 8 AA batteries I can get some rechargable eneloops and be done with it.

Forgive me if I am presuming too much, but from what you wrote, it seems as if you are assuming the eneloops are preferable to 18650's because eneloops are rechargeable. Just wanted to point out that you are not going to have to shell out $40 for a pair of 18650's very often. They are rechargeable and will last at least as long as the eneloops.

I have the Olight M30, the JetBeam M1X, and a couple of Derees (plus a Polarion PS-PH50 and BarnBurner), but I most often find myself using Zebralights for close work and the M30 for general use. The M30's usefully diffused throw and light-weight (I use a pair of smaller batteries to avoid the extender) are why I keep it handy. That being said, I am looking forward to seeing a cheaper, non titanium Olight with one of the new Lumileds.

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
I like that the Olight M30 uses only two 18650 batteries (I would use the extender for the added size), although each battery cost $20 x 2 = $40 each time I need new batteries,

They both seem like a solid choice and both have crappy UI though.

I also was a bit taken by this comment :shakehead 18650's would generally only require a qty of 4 for the useful life of the light. 2 in use and 2 spare/charging. Lithium Ion batts have all the advantages (for a enthusiast) over NiMh. Juggling 16 AA's around to me is bordering on clumsy (do not get me wrong I am a big Fenix fan but not a 8 x AA fan)
For me:
4 x 18650s = less than AUD $80 (at top price)
16 x AA's = about AUD $100 (general retail price)
plus 18650's can be topped up anytime whilst AA NiMh need to be managed to avoid memory effect etc.
UI on my M30 is exactly how I like it. What ever I left it set on is what I get on the next use :twothumbs

M30 is perfect size for a useful tactical/adventure/security light and soon as the new non cranulated tail caps are available it will be an even better light.
TK40 (based on info from this forum and other reports) still has a few teething issues to be sorted.

M30 with diffuser is absolute winner providing light at an emergency/incident scene without blinding those in the direct beam.
Used it last week at a outdoor BBQ tied up on a post on medium power with diffuser for a couple of hours. Most people thought it was a mains powered light :D
My diffuser now stays on (also acts as a impact protector for head) and only comes off when I need a good throw.

FWIW M30 gets my vote ;)

Toaster

Enlightened
If AA power appeals, check out the ITP A6 Polestar which runs on 6AAs. It looks like these will finally be shipping out this month. There are two marketplace threads containing more info about it here and here.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you just want a light that uses AA I would suggest the M30 you can use so many different battery type's. 2x18650 with extender will get you about 1.5hrs, or you could use 18500x2 without extender for 1hr runtime. Then there is the rcr123x3 or 4(extender) and cr123x3 or 4(with extender). Am I forgetting any?

Almost forgot here is a good review with runtimes graphs with all the batterys with the M30 provided nicely as always by selfbuilt.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231491

Its a wonderful light that gives you battery options hence size option. Good luck in your quest and remember the quest is half the fun.

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll choose M30 anyway, the sheer numbers of AA being used in TK40 is just plain silly not to mention when you need to carry spare.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does OP understand that 18650's are rechargeable??

It sounds like he thinks that they are primary cells...

ubetit

Newly Enlightened
I like my TK40. Maybe it is because I am so used to the 2 D sized flashlights and it is about the same size. I also like the 2 X Cr123 sized flashlights but I hate long thin handles like 2 X 18650. I think it's just what I grew up with and am used to.

I am disappointed that I can't use L91 's with it though. Nice and light and less concerns with different charge levels than eneloops you charge yourself when you buy the L91's all at once.

I have a TK40, M2Xc4, M30 and Solarforce Masterpiece. I also prefer the feel of the TK40 and M2XC4 to the thinner bodied 2x18650 tubes. I find myself reaching for the TK40 the most and the m2xc4 when I want a thrower. My charger keeps my Eneloop cells all within .01 volts of each other. Batteries aren't an issue.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does OP understand that 18650's are rechargeable??

It sounds like he thinks that they are primary cells...

Yes I think your right I did not notice how he phrased that in the OP, nice catch DimeRazorback. To the OP the 18650,18500 and rcr123 Is Rechargeable battery type's. You can recharge them many,many times before you have to purchase any more. The only primary cells you would use with the M30 is the CR123 batterys.

Maybe in fact you do already know but i would hate to see you make a decision without understanding

Last edited:

Latest posts