Favorite Light Size

dtsoll

Enlightened
I just made a trade for another, yet another E1e. I already had one. Why did I need another? In case one breaks? Some of you already know why I needed another, the rest of you probably soon will. Anyway, I've noticed I have no big lights. Yes, I do have the usual 3D mag but nothing I can light up Brazil with from here in Nebraska. Actually that is the way I want it. I have nothing bigger than an E2e, and I don't have any desires to have anything bigger either. If it doesn't fit in my pocket or small holster on my belt, I don't, er, won't carry it. It's just something about having a small light in my pocket or on my belt that is very satisfying to me. To me the E1e with or without a KL1, or one of my Arc LS's is a perfect EDC. That is with the AAA LE in my pocket too. Just some thoughts for your amusement. I love small lights is the jist of my story. Thank you for your time. Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LightChucker

Enlightened
I completely understand. I also prefer the small lights that I can carry and use anywhere I go.

I am the same way about expensive folding knives and expensive pen and pencil sets. I collect them and switch around from day-to-day. I admire the bigger knives and bigger flashlights, but I can't carry them with me at the office. That would look great to carry a big clunky flashlight and a Bowie knife into a meeting. But I can carry a small flashlight and a folding knife.

You're not alone.

Chuck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

pahl

Enlightened
I'm with you,
I fell in love with my E1 the first day I got it. My second E1 is on the way. It is so handy. It has preaty good run time. It only uses one CR123 battery. It's easy to carry a extra battery with you.
The one and only thing I would change on them is the price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Now if you could get one for $9.99 at wal-mart they would be perfect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pahl

Enlightened
and what about that clip on the E1 series. It's also very handy. I can clip the E1 on just about anything I'm working on or clip it to my cap.

I will order another one when the E1e-HA is out with the "clickie" switch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I'm in the same "school." I am more than happy lately with the CR2-based 1W i've been packing.

Larry

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i used to carry around a C2 and arc AAA in my pockets, but after i got an arc LS, that is all i carry now (C2 goes in my bag) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite light size would be one that's implanted into my retinas. And with a tap on my temple, I'd get a few trillion lumens out the end to "illuminate" my way. I guess there's no tellin' why people would call me "hotheaded" then...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Dreamers aside, I'd go with the size of the old-style twistie Arc-LS as my ideal size versus output sweet-spot light..

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want a cheap substitute for an E1e, try a Princeton Tec Blast. It runs on two AAA's and its beam isn't quite as smooth as the E1e's, but at under $10 it's good value. It's about the same size as an E1e and weighs less because of its plastic body. It's also waterproof to 100's of feet. I got one recently and reviewed it in the reviews section a day or two ago.

I agree that this (E1e, Arc LS, Blast, etc.) is a very good size of light. I think I'm going to skip over the E2e level. Next level up is something with a much larger reflector or optic for longer throw, either incandescent or a 5W LED. I suddenly have an application that needs something like that so am somewhat casting around for a Space Needle II.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA Mini-Mag size is right for me. It's not a perfect light, but it's my EDC.
The MadMax+ is a perfect sandwich, though.

gyverpete

Enlightened
The smaller the better for me. I EDC the ARC-LS with twisty. And I 24/7 carry the Arc-AAA and photon yellow II on a neck lanyard. I won't carry around larger lights than these. In fact the same goes for the other many gadgets I EDC. Size is critical. It also allows me to carry MORE gadgets, in place of only a few large ones, and thus I'm prepared for more circumstances. Gear that is convenient to have with you all the time beats those that get left at home or in the car when you need them.

For my favorite size light I pick the ARC-AAA. It's bright enough for 90% of my needs and small enough to wear under my shirt unnoticed and very comfortably 24 hours a day. Thus it is always with me and I can always find my way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Here's a link to my EDC gear:
"Pics of your EDC" thread
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB22&Number=157891&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=17&vc=1

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
I use a Solitaire moded to run a HD 1W LS using the reflector. It is about twice as bright as a PT Attitude and has better throw. I don't even notice it in my pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't know if it's really the size, maybe more of the combination of the size+shape, but I LOVE my tec40! it's perfect. the handle fits perfectly in my palm and is fully covered but yet, the head of the flashlight pokes right out and rests against my thumb and index finger.

freewheelin'

Enlightened
I'm in the same boat, I prefer small. At this moment I've got an ARC AAA LE, E1E and an Inova microlight on me. Then theres an E2E and SNII in a canvas bag I carry on the back of my wheelchair. I figure I'm covered from a few inches out to a couple of hundred yards or so.

alberto

Enlightened
I'm in the same league as you. I love small lights and have Photon IIs, Arc-AAA, E1e/KL1, E2e, Infinity Ultra/Ultra-G, Inova X5, and Mini Maglite LS dropins -- but I don't have a small high-intensity (higher than a 60 lumen E2e/MN03) 2x123 light.

So I just ordered an ASP Triad II Tac-Lite, which is a little larger than an E2e, but still falls into my definition of a small, easy-carry, light.

I was also looking at the Pelican M6, and like any hopeless flashaholic, will probably buy it too. I do have scruples though — I don't let more than one flashlight purchase show up on the same month's credit card bill.

shrap

Enlightened
I think the small lights like Photons and Microlights give up too much for the virtue of being small.

The Arc AAA is a bit too small, and I can't tell which end light is the head without something attached to the tail.

The E2e is a nice size, but I think it's the pocket clip - anything's better than sitting on the bottom of your pocket. I think if I had a nice way of clipping my Minimag/Badboy 400 to my pocket, that would be better than the Surefire, since it's got a more useful light, and uses cheaper batteries.

Anything bigger stays at home, especially if it's not as bright as the E2e.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Alberto,
tell me about the triad tac-lite. I am not familiar with it, as if I need something else to spend money on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif Is this something I need? I hope not. Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I am a throwback, or at least retro. I like the 2D form and size. It just feels like A Flashlight. I like and have small units as well for EDC, and enjoy them very much. But, I guess I look at the 2D as the right size, and will continue to seek a brighter longer lasting light in that form.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x123 seems like just about the perfect size. It's small enough to EDC, yet big enough to get a good solid grip on. The Pelican M6 is a really nice size, but the McLux 2x123 setup is even better.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no favorite size....I have my EDC which are small. my sometimes carry which might be a little larger.
my vehical lights are not quite as small.
Home lights must not be too large to handle is all