wearing out an EO1

generallobster

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone twisted their EO1 on/off enough to wear through the gold plated contacts on the surface of the underside of the flashlight head? The contacts look thin as gold leaf foil and it looks like a month or two of hard twisting would result in wear since they grind down on the aluminum shaft inside the light. Has anyone heard of or had any problems with this yet?

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
Nope. Been running one for over a year now, daily use, usually all day long. Still works just like new. :twothumbs

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a bunch of threads on the E01 and its durability/longevity - shoot it into the search bar ;)

My wife and my father have both been using one daily for over a year with no issues.

I think you will find that they are pretty solid lights - I dont recall any cases of them breaking and I think its safe to say that 90% of the members here probably own at least one, so we'd hear about it...

On top of that, for $15, I dont think too many people worry about replacing one...

The E01 is tried and true!

With that said, if you are looking for arguably more reliability (though some will disagree), check out the Arc-aaa - but its 3x the price. I carry the arc on my keys.

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone twisted their EO1 on/off enough to wear through the gold plated contacts on the surface of the underside of the flashlight head? The contacts look thin as gold leaf foil and it looks like a month or two of hard twisting would result in wear since they grind down on the aluminum shaft inside the light. Has anyone heard of or had any problems with this yet?

Good luck trying. This baby is tough!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Not a problem I've ever heard of occurring. I suppose if the gold plating wore off it would still work just fine.

Geoff

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
one of my most reliable lights... never had a single problem with it. I use it to exterminate batteries coming out of my MP3 player, and the dying batteries are crowding up space in my drawer since they still last an eternity in there...

Illum

Flashaholic
I added a bit of solder to mine as a precaution. Works great!:twothumbs

+1
not a big fat drop, but a thin coat is best:eek:

I have given basically all of My E01s away to family, who despite the purple tint seems to accept it as a keychain light. Close friends and cousins however, prefer the 9V pak-lite:poke::thinking:. No E01 has yet to be returned for me to repair them

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not the best place for this post, but I didn't want to make a new thread over a slight issue. On a new E01 I gave as a gift, seems very hard to turn on or off. Not at all like my natural one where I can almost twist it on/off with one hand. Is there a way to make this easier to turn? Lube the o-ring perhaps?

lebox97

Enlightened
gold plating the contacts minimizes oxidation and improves contact to battery... wear it off? guess it could happen, but keep battery and contacts clean and you won't notice much difference if you did?

a small drop of super-lube or good silicone lube on o-ring and threads will take care of hard twisting.

Probably not the best place for this post, but I didn't want to make a new thread over a slight issue. On a new E01 I gave as a gift, seems very hard to turn on or off. Not at all like my natural one where I can almost twist it on/off with one hand. Is there a way to make this easier to turn? Lube the o-ring perhaps?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
a small drop of super-lube or good silicone lube on o-ring and threads will take care of hard twisting.

Any particular brand? I never bought lube specifically for flashlights before, but I do have silicone spray that you would use for other household items but I am guessing it's not the same kind of lube you're recommending.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Investigating nano-oil/lube and Krytox. For a quick fix I just used petroleum jelly and it worked in a pinch. Threads on this E01 never felt smoother...

lolzertank

Enlightened
I just sent my E01 through the washing machine and dryer yesterday by accident. :oops: The head somehow separated from the body.

I threw the alkaline AAA cell out and replaced it with a fresh one. It works fine but the anodizing on the back is scratched a little.

Illum

Flashaholic
I just sent my E01 through the washing machine and dryer yesterday by accident. :oops: The head somehow separated from the body.

I threw the alkaline AAA cell out and replaced it with a fresh one. It works fine but the anodizing on the back is scratched a little.

twisties has a tendency to break apart in the washer, while clickie lights tend to complete the wash cycle while turned on:candle: