Question=can-o-worms........

h22

Newly Enlightened
After two days researching this forum I have come to a few conclusions...

1, Lumen ratings on flashlights are all but meaningless.(for actulal light output and for comparisons)
2, run time advertisements are not always accurate or measured the same
3, most good lights use the same LED(s) so the cheif differances are in the UI, optics, build quality and drive efficiencies.

So here is the question that i am sure has been asked 10,000 times. Who makes the best LED lights, and Who markets them most accurately?

Other observations I have had.....
getting googly eyes :huh: about the prospect of purchacing a 1000(+) lumen light is a mistake, as most dont attain that level, mainly because they do not pack the required power or heat sinking to do it.

so question #2

Does anyone build a ~1000 lumen light that is actually what it says it is and will it run for more than an hour?

Final question Is in reguard to my next purchace, looking at all the available high power "thrower" lights, the M1X stands out at me as being a good light ( and they actually give a 450lm torch figure for it:twothumbs ) and it is nice to look at.
Will it actually run for 3 hours on 2 18650 cells, if so this would fit my needs very well. Other optoins are out there, is there a better light ( cost not being a huge factor ) out there that is comprable?

Apriciate any advice, Joe

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:
There is no such thing as the "best LED lights" that is far too dependent on your own personal desires.

I'm sure your other questions will be answered by those more knowledgeable than I.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Who makes the best LED lights, and Who markets them most accurately?

There's probably a few dozen manufacturers that fit into the trusted/quality category, but you can't go by manufacturer numbers regardless; If the light is not regulated, it will slowly dim over time, so any one number isn't all that helpful. The light may be regulated on some battery types and not on others. The light may be much brighter/dimmer on various battery types. There will be modest manufacturing differences between identical LEDs/lights, so there are brighter and dimmer copies of the same light. Etc.

Stick to the reviews/beamshots, and don't get too caught up in the numbers, you can't visually see a difference of ~10% lumens anyway.

getting googly eyes :huh: about the prospect of purchacing a 1000(+) lumen light is a mistake, as most dont attain that level

A lot more of them do now, but the bigger question is what you will do with 1000 lumens - that much light is useless in an urban/suburban setting, as the light will flood through every window in your immediate area, resulting in neighbors wondering why you're shining a light at their house..

Does anyone build a ~1000 lumen light that is actually what it says it is and will it run for more than an hour?

There's a broad range of spotlights, larger flashlights, and Mag modifications that can do this without much difficulty, but it takes some studying to learn the pros/cons of each setup and what will work best for your particular application.

the M1X stands out at me as being a good light ( and they actually give a 450lm torch figure for it:twothumbs ) and it is nice to look at.
Will it actually run for 3 hours on 2 18650 cells

It runs a regulated ~1.5 hours on 2x18650s. However you can get 3+ hours on 123s, but it's not regulated. The multi-die/large-die LED format is really taking off right now, so there are a lot of options, with a lot more in the immediate future.

Last edited:

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
It will, but it's not regulated on 18650s, so the light will gradually dim over time. The multi-die/large-die LED format is really taking off right now, so there are a lot of options, with a lot more in the immediate future.

The M1X is regulated on 2x18650s.

However, it only runs for ~90 minutes on max. Were you thinking of the Jet-IIIM? It's not regulated on 1x18650, but does make it to 3 hours on max...

vali

Enlightened
So you want a LOT of lumens? Your best choice will be a HID I think (but sometimes "want" is way different than "need").

The thing is average people find 100 "real" lumen is more than enough for typical use.

JeffInChi

Enlightened
If you really want 1,000 lumens +1 For an HID light. For around 2,000 lumens, a 24W should suffice, or if you want around 3,000 lumens, get a 35W HID light. Off the top of my head Oracle makes a decent HID light and the battery lasts for 45-60 mins depending on how many times you've cycled it.

The light is a nice warm tint, it is considered a handheld light, but definately not "pocketable".

Here's a link on cpfmarketplace with a discount on the oracle 24w hid link.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=197479

The Jetbeam is also a great light, and it's lumens on turbo/high should be enough for any task. It's well built and has a great rep here on cpf. If you really really need more light to spot/flood something (over 200 meters/yards) and don't mind the extra weight, get a HID light.

HKJ

Flashaholic
1, Lumen ratings on flashlights are all but meaningless.(for actulal light output and for comparisons)

Not really, but specifications are often to optimistic.

getting googly eyes :huh: about the prospect of purchacing a 1000(+) lumen light is a mistake, as most dont attain that level, mainly because they do not pack the required power or heat sinking to do it.

To get 1000+ lumens, you have to look for lights with 3xP7 or 3xMC-E or a single SST-90 emitter, they can all easily reach 1000+ lumen.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
For quality and reliability I go the Malkoff/Surefire route.

For real 1000 plus out the front lumens checkout the custom section.

Here is my old Surefire M6 with 3 P7's build by Dennis (LedZepplin). It was big and expensive. So, you have to consider the size and the price you are willing to pay for the lumens. Also, Dennis will replace the lights electronics if anything ever goes wrong for as long as you own his M6 drop-in. These folks in the custom section offer customer service that is 2nd to none.

M6/Triple P7____LED Zeppelin___3XAW17670_____3x_P7______1714.5______instant peak_:bow:
M6/Triple P7____LED Zeppelin___3XAW17670_____3x_P7______1698.2______2 sec_:wow:
M6/Triple P7____LED Zeppelin___3XAW17670_____3x_P7______1606.5_____30 sec_:drool:
M6/Triple P7____LED Zeppelin___3XAW17670_____3x_P7______1565.1_____60 sec_:cool:
M6/Triple P7____LED Zeppelin___3XAW17670_____3x_P7______1523.7____120 sec_:mecry:
M6/Triple P7____LED Zeppelin___3XAW17670_____3x_P7______1498.5____240 sec_:clap::D

Please note that there are tons of Mag Tripple P7/MC-E builds in the custom section that will do over 1000 OTF too.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Can of worms indeed! You seem to have a reasonable handle on the overall landscape and I agree with most of the comments thus far.

As you've deduced, this flashlight hobby is a balance of a number of tradeoffs, with technology helping to try to squeeze the most out of the least for the longest time...

+1000 to the "the best light is the one you have with you comment"!

Beyond that much is a matter of preference - beam shape, tint, output, size, build characteristics, shape, user interface, etc... what is comfortable in my hand may not be in yours - what you can tolerate as an EDC pocket light I may find too large, etc...

I have too many lights but I do think that by and large I could (and have) survived with 4 basic lights (I favor LEDs in all these):

1) a larger, brighter 2 cell light, something like a 6P with a Malkoff or Dereelight or custom drop in, I really like the modularity of the P60 lights - a new LED comes out and you only have to buy the drop in;

2) a multi mode EDC light with a floodier beam - my Novatac 120P fits this bill pretty well;

3) a smaller EDC for attire that won't really work with a larger light - I'm still pinning this one down; and

4) a backup, dead reliable key ring light - I currently use a Liteflux LF2 but a Peak Eiger is quite tempting...

Everything else is superfluous, for me at least, as I have a reasonable idea what I like in each role. I see a difference for example between my P60L module, my Dereelight Q5 3SD and my Q2 3SD and my Q5 2SM modules in a 6P or Dereelight host - they have pros and cons but in real world use any of them would work fine for what I use that light for - mostly scanning my backyard at night to see what the dogs are doing and some home projects that need some oopmh like checking for things in corners of the attic. I trust those modules and those hosts, I trust my Novatac and a few others to work when I need them. Any tinkering, modding or research of beam shapes and output etc... is mostly just for the fun of it, but far from essential.