6p/c2 clone questions

Jason_Tx

Newly Enlightened
I have ordered a Malkoff M60W based on research and reviews.
I have been planning for 2 weeks on making a 6p/C2 clone.
I was planning on buying a FiveMega 1X18650 Body + Surefire Z59 talicap + Surefire Defender Bezel (6PD head)
With that setup it will be somewhere around $170 + in total.
I wouldn't mind finding a little cheaper way to do it so long as quality of the end product isn't drastically reduced.
I've noticed that LightHound has the G&P Tactical Head
for $12.99 or the SolarForce L2 crenelated Head for $8.99
In my mind, I can't see how the Surefire head will enhance the quality of the light vs the other two.
As for talcaps, there are plenty out there to mess with
There is also the Solarforce L2 host for around $25 (how good is it?)
There is the Malkoff M2 Host .. and the list goes on.

Seeing that main part of these type of lights is the Malkoff Dropin - I just can't seem to justify the extra $115 + for it.
For those of you who have built these types of lights, I would greatly appreciate some guidance on building my first.

Thank you for your time

Jason

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have at least 10 fully operaton Solarforce L2 lights in various combinations of extension tubes, tailswitches, lights. they all work fine and have great modularity.

I have 1 fivemega 2X18500 (FM2?) body that has had serious compatability issues with various Surefire or Solarforce parts fitting and working and batteries operating. Seems like the tube length is on the long side and I am using about 4 battery magnets to make sure I have good contact using batteries that do have the nipple or tips on the positive end. the inside of the head is deeply anodized except for a small ring on the bottom which makes electrical contact issues for some modules. Yes I could and probably will sand some of it off, but that is the way it comes. I have had tailswitch operating issues with some tail caps. I found a combination and made it work but I had lots of parts to switch around with because I have at least 10 sets of Solarforce lights "parts" and 2 Surefire 6ps and couple extra Z41 tail switches to work with. Now I know why the guy was selling it cheap on the marketplace. You may have trouble with compatability issues of the FM 1X18650 body, maybe you will be luckier than I and the guy I bought it from.

I would say simply put the Malkoff M60 in a Solarforce L2 and run it of of 2 X AW brand RCR123 batteries for optimum power output and regulation. You can run the M60 off of one 18650 but it won't reach full brightness as it really wants to be over 4.7 ish Volts. You could run the M30 off a single 18650 very well as that is the battery it was designed for.

either way the Solarforce brand L2 hosts have not given my any problems at all and are cheap. So if you do have a problem you can get replacement pieces for it also cheap.

Otherwise the simple MD2 with the lesser expensive HAII level anodizing is the best step up as it is definitely compatible with itself and the Malkoff M60/30 series modules. G.

Last edited:

Jason_Tx

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your reply and information MRGman ---
and BTW -- your famous -- "I done sawed you on the utube" :tinfoil:

ptolemy

Enlightened
i don't klnow if u want a edc or not, but u can easily get a solarforce l2 extender and run it off 2x18650 for 3x the runtime of cr123's:)

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
There is a difference in quality between the real SF parts and their clones. Whether that difference is something you are willing to live with is really only something you can decide for yourself. I only acquire SF parts for my FM clones.

Jason_Tx

Newly Enlightened
i don't klnow if u want a edc or not, but u can easily get a solarforce l2 extender and run it off 2x18650 for 3x the runtime of cr123's:)

Yes, I would like to be able to add more batteries 1X18650 most times, but 2X would be great also as I orderered a M60W--- thank you very much

There is a difference in quality between the real SF parts and their clones. Whether that difference is something you are willing to live with is really only something you can decide for yourself. I only acquire SF parts for my FM clones.

I understand, and yes - I would like to have one that at least has a Z59 clicky - and eventually will - but ATM, I would like to have a workable light and build it up as time goes on. Thank you for your opinion sir

buickid

Enlightened
The Surefire bezels have AR (anti-reflective) coating on the inside that increases light transmittance. I don't own any Solarforce bezels, so I wouldn't know if they're coated. SF bezels use pretty thick Pyrex lenses, I'm not sure what kind or how thick the Solarforce glass is. I'd wait for a good deal on SF bezels in the MP. I recently picked up a bezel that had some nicks and scratches around the edge for $12. If the light is going to be an EDC, the nicks and scratches are insignificant anyway.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got various Malkoff combos including: 6P with M60, C2 HAIII with M60WL & MD2 HAIII Natural with M60W MC-E with Hi/Low ring.

I have never purchased any clone hosts. After using the above hosts, IMHO the Malkoff MD2 with Hi/Low is the most versatile - beautifully machined and with a nice, simple hi/low capability - easily as good a quality as the Surefire hosts I have.

Good luck with your selection.

James....:)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have two (new-production) Solarforce bezels, and while they both work fine with any body I have (FiveMega, SureFire, SolarForce) with a spring-type lamp assembly, neither can tighten down far enough on my (un-sprung) Malkoff M60 in any body - the module rattles around just a bit and results in intermittent electrical connection. I have read here on CPF that the Solarforce bezel lacks an aluminum ledge inside the bezel which will reference off the light assembly, bear down on it (resulting in a firm contact), and although I cannot verify this for sure, my Malkoff appears to fit deeper inside the bezel if placed inside, and looks like it is sitting a little higher if I drop it inside (face down) in a SureFire bezel.

So, my preferences only, I like the SureFire bezels a little more. YMMV.
K

Jason_Tx

Newly Enlightened
Thx for the replies

I ordered a SolarForce L2 host from lighthound, a couple enxtension tubes and a G&P tail cap -- I will try this setup out and upgrade as needed to surefire. Maybe next month I can get a SF bezel or z59 and the other the following month. That will also leave me parts to make a couple Solarforce lights with some cheaper dropins from places like DX or LF
That will give me a really great mostly SF Light, esp if I can find a 6p body for cheap and the extra lights? Well, who doesn't want more lights eh?

Thank you all again for you time and knowledge

Jason