sumthing wrong with my Jet-1 V3?

southplinker

Newly Enlightened
my friend and I were comparing the beams of his Jet IIIM over mine and I noticed that his beam on the wall was more solid while mine seems to have a dark spot in the middle.

If you really stare at it you would notice it but if you just go about lighting something up outdoors or something you wouldn't notice it, the light will do it's job!

I just want to know if my R2 is a bad copy since I read here that bad batch of emitters do get into production.

Here is a pic of it, I noticed that if I put the light closer to the wall the dark part is much visible.

Original exposure

jet01.jpg

Adjusted levels in PS
jet02.jpg

So what do you guys think? TIA!

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try some of the other LED lights close to the wall, and you will see the same thing. I just tried a few of my lights, and they all do it. It has to be pretty close to the wall(within about 6 inches) to see it though.

southplinker

Newly Enlightened
thanks for checking that out.
I did choose the wrong way of trying to show you that dark spot in the middle. So let me try that again:D

This time less than 10' away from the wall.

F4@1/50sec
jet01.jpg

and F4@1/100
jet02.jpg

see it?

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Jet-I PRO V3.0 is more for throwing than close up. Its a nice light. =)
Many throwy lights have this 'hole' in the beam @ less than 30cm from the wall.

So probably normal, try and compare it with other "throwy" lights and you'd see.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
What your seeing is what looks like a darker middle surrounded by a ring of brighter light. Actually what your seeing is just a different color, and I think you will find they are the same brightness level. This has to do with how well the reflector mixes up the light as it's focused and sent out the front of the light. My Jet IIIM R2 has this same effect your describing but it has a smooth reflector. I'm sure a OP reflector will remove this. My Deerelight C2H also has this effect with the smooth reflector but it's gone with the OP.

Try this test. Place your light 12 feel from a white wall. Then walk up to the spot on the wall and view it from 1 foot. I think you will find the spot may be slightly a different color but the brightness is fine al the way accross the spot.

Bill