Please advise on the best light for Law Enforcement

YJ88

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. I am new to the forum and would like to ask people in the know, what is the best flash light for police use? I need to have it fit on a duty belt, I would prefer it to be a re-chargeable, must be durable, have a button on the tail cap (mom. on fetaure, as well as all on) have a stellar beam pattern, have a great deal of lumens and have good range. I currently use the Pelican 7060 Led, and I think it is junk! Can anyone offer some advice to a noobie? Thanks all for your time!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
What don't you like about the Pelican 7060? (It nominally fits most of the criteria that you listed, except perhaps the beam pattern.) The specific reasons will help people give you advice for a different flashlight.

JBorneu

Enlightened
I currently use the Pelican 7060 Led, and I think it is junk!

Why do you think it's junk? What do you dislike about it? I thought it was a well liked light among LEO's, but I could be wrong. What do you want your new light to do that the 7060 doesn't do (well enough)?

SupremeEye

Newly Enlightened
The Magcharger and Streamlight SL-20 the one with the three LED's are good lights.

They are solid, heavy and have length.

They are illumination devices that can double as batons in case some sh*t kicks off.

If you want smaller, affordable lights that are tough, versatile and provide plenty of light. I say you should look into these lights.

Olight M20 Warrior

Fenix TK11 R2, TK12 or even the TA series.

Eagletac T10 MKII

I did not put the Eagletac T20C2 because once you go momentary on. You have to wait 3 seconds before you can use the M.O. Again or you'll get the strobe.

sfca

Enlightened
Nix the Olight M20 cause of the method of switching through the 5 or so modes - loosen and tighten bezel.

YJ88

Newly Enlightened
I liked the 7060. It performed well at the start (good beam, pleanty of output) Over time both switches failed, and the sometimes working, not working response from this light was not satisfactory. Sometimes the tail switch would work, sometimes the top switch would work. When I hit the switch, I need light. So, I purchased another light (7060) in hopes that it may have been a design flaw, or just a bad batch. I had the light for ONE WEEK, and the tail cap froze and would not allow me to depress to activate. I think I used it about 5 times before this occurred. The light is as reliable as the weather! By the way, I do not abuse my gear, nor do I let others borrow it. Thank you all for your quick responses.

YJ88

Newly Enlightened
What don't you like about the Pelican 7060? (It nominally fits most of the criteria that you listed, except perhaps the beam pattern.) The specific reasons will help people give you advice for a different flashlight.

Why do you think it's junk? What do you dislike about it? I thought it was a well liked light among LEO's, but I could be wrong. What do you want your new light to do that the 7060 doesn't do (well enough)?

The light pattern is great, as is the output. I say its junk, based on the fact that this is the 2nd 7060 that I have owned and it has failed both times thus far. Keep in mind, I do not abuse my gear, no do I let co-workers use it. On both lights, the switches have failed. One was the front switch, and on this, the tail cap. This current light is approximately one week old!!!!! I need a light that is like the sun and moon; always there!!! This light has let me down on numerous ocassions at work and I always go to my back up MAG light. The problem is, I cant and would not carry a Mag with me at work due to the sheer size and weight. I dont always have an option in a life and death situation, to say, "time out, let me go and grab my back up light from my cruiser". I need a light with similiar performance that I can wear on my belt.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch problems with 7060's are known problems. It isn't just you.

wjf2000

Newly Enlightened
I think you mean lights. Carry a small one on your duty belt and a bigger one in your patrol bag. I carry a fenix p3d on my belt and a mag 85 in my patrol bag.

bestcounsel

Enlightened
surefire with any momentary tail cap....with a malkoff...

and another surefire in your patrol bag....

I am not a cop but when i work security details at night, i always carry 2 surefires...